• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Gainax's Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
I hope Sentai don't crop Nadia up on Blu-Rays just like Funi did with their DBZ on Blu-Rays.

(Fixed a typo for you.)

Not gonna happen, the Dragonball Z release is cropped, as Justin said in the most recent "Answerman" column, because it's being aimed at a mainstream audience that reacts badly to pillarboxing (black bars at the side of the screen).

The Nadia re-release is aimed only at hardcore anime fans that already know shows animated for standard definition will not fill a modern widescreen television.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Recently I rented the entire series at Tsutaya.

The first 13 episodes or so are an epic masterpiece.

The episodes up to the Island/Africa arc are good.

The Island/Africa arc is shit.

The last three episodes or so are great.

And the epilogue is truly in American/Hollywood fashion (except for spoiler[Marie being preggers at 15 ].)

If you based the series off just the first season, it would be one of the all time bests.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Holy [expletive] shit Batman! I'll have to think about this since it took me forever and a day to watch the whole series on dvd.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Their is still hope for other animes I want rescued
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:
I hope Sentai don't crop Nadia up on Blu-Rays just like Funi did with their DBZ on Blu-Rays.

(Fixed a typo for you.)

Not gonna happen, the Dragonball Z release is cropped, as Justin said in the most recent "Answerman" column, because it's being aimed at a mainstream audience that reacts badly to pillarboxing (black bars at the side of the screen).

The Nadia re-release is aimed only at hardcore anime fans that already know shows animated for standard definition will not fill a modern widescreen television.

Adding to that, outside the first 2 sets of those, you had a chance to get DBZ not in widescreen. If you didn't get around to it back then, it's on you.
jonathan c

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Will they redub it?

It's been redubbed since 2001. Speaking of, I wonder if we'll ever see the Streamline-dubbed episodes? I think it'd be pretty interesting to compare the two dubs (by the way, in that dub, Nadia was voiced by Wendee Lee and Marie was voiced by the person who did Angelica Pickles from Rugrats). Glad to see this one get rescued!

Now that this has come to pass, I wonder if it'll air on Toonami? That'd be pretty cool!

Was all of this released on tape by Streamline? I would really love to find some good quality caps of the Streamline dubs, whether or not they released the full set. I can't stand the ADV dub, mostly due to the insanely terrible phony French accents of Jean (and his uncle). It grates on me so badly, it's like nails and chalkboards and all that. Being one of the two MCs, that is a deal breaker for watching it like that, pretty much stuck to subbed-only every run.

If anyone has the Streamline tapes that can cap them... want to hook a guy up with some audio caps? Smile

As for the movie, I also own the ADV Complete set (came in a big tin with thinpack cases), and never missed the movie not being in there Razz already the show suffered horribly at times, it would have been better at ~26 eps with a bunch of gunk culled from the series, and pare the movie while we're at it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Why?

You can go on amazon and get this for around 60-70 bucks and even less on ebay. I've seen this go for under 40 bucks. Dont get me wrong its a great show, I have the metal tin edition, but this show is there for taking for roughly what you will pay for a new set. And there are good shows never released. Release those first. At least put on blu ray.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Why?

You can go on amazon and get this for around 60-70 bucks and even less on ebay. I've seen this go for under 40 bucks. don't get me wrong its a great show, I have the metal tin edition, but this show is there for taking for roughly what you will pay for a new set. And there are good shows never released. Release those first. At least put on blu ray.

It is being released on bluray for the first time. Also, the DVDs have been out of print for a while, and it's online availability is hit or miss as a result. The pricing can also vary widley. Several of the places I've seen it are still trying to sell those sets at MSRP. Sentai's bluray will likely be about the same price.

Also, and this has been explained to you time after time, after time. It's not like every anime show is immediately interchangeable with another. There is no grand master anime holding company that they can go to in Japan and trade them whenever they want. There are also a ton of shows in Japan that are either not available or the licenses are just too expensive. True, there are shows that have been overlooked for one reason or another, but acquring Nadia doesn't mean that Sentai can't later license one of them.

jonathan c wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Will they redub it?

It's been redubbed since 2001. Speaking of, I wonder if we'll ever see the Streamline-dubbed episodes? I think it'd be pretty interesting to compare the two dubs (by the way, in that dub, Nadia was voiced by Wendee Lee and Marie was voiced by the person who did Angelica Pickles from Rugrats). Glad to see this one get rescued!

Now that this has come to pass, I wonder if it'll air on Toonami? That'd be pretty cool!

Was all of this released on tape by Streamline? I would really love to find some good quality caps of the Streamline dubs, whether or not they released the full set. I can't stand the ADV dub, mostly due to the insanely terrible phony French accents of Jean (and his uncle). It grates on me so badly, it's like nails and chalkboards and all that. Being one of the two MCs, that is a deal breaker for watching it like that, pretty much stuck to subbed-only every run.

If anyone has the Streamline tapes that can cap them... want to hook a guy up with some audio caps? Smile

As for the movie, I also own the ADV Complete set (came in a big tin with thinpack cases), and never missed the movie not being in there Razz already the show suffered horribly at times, it would have been better at ~26 eps with a bunch of gunk culled from the series, and pare the movie while we're at it.

I've seen both dubs and personally I'm not a fan of either one. I think Nadia is actually one of ADV's weaker Monster Island dubs. However, the accents in the Streamline dub are also pretty bad. So unless you are a HUGE fan of Angelica Pickles, I can't recommend it. Also, as has been pointed out a couple times in this thread, only about 8 episodes were dubbed by Streamline.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Why?

You can go on amazon and get this for around 60-70 bucks and even less on ebay. I've seen this go for under 40 bucks. don't get me wrong its a great show, I have the metal tin edition, but this show is there for taking for roughly what you will pay for a new set. And there are good shows never released. Release those first. At least put on blu ray.

It is being released on bluray for the first time. Also, the DVDs have been out of print for a while, and it's online availability is hit or miss as a result. The pricing can also vary widley. Several of the places I've seen it are still trying to sell those sets at MSRP. Sentai's bluray will likely be about the same price.

Not only that, the new Sentai DVDs are going to have much better video quality over the old ADV DVDs since they'll be sourced from the new HD masters. The ADV DVDs used composite masters.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Nadia license-rescued on Blu-ray. Wonder if there's any chance of getting GunBuster as well. Already have the R1 DVDs for both.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
There IS a God! But yeah, its great to see this show get a license rescue. Seeing something like this gives me hope that more Bandai shows will get rescued
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Reading this thread makes me hope that this gets redubbed.

As soon as I read "Monster Island" I shuddered. That place always struck me as ADV's minor league (only it seemed that all of the "phenoms" in it never got to "play in the majors"). I enjoyed the dub of Dai-Guard and I don't remember the dub of Zone of the Enders being too terrible (the show though...) but anything done by the studio that dubbed Lost Universe is best redone IMO.

I scarcely recognize a single name on the dub cast @ ANN's encyclopedia.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
The chances of this getting redubbed are almost zero. Since ADV originally had the license and comissioned the dub, Sentai should have access to the source tapes. So there shouldn't be any issues with the dub needed redone for bluray lossless audio, unlike Grave of the Fireflies.
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed that series and will consider buying it again after reading it will get a Blu-ray treatment.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
There is a fact that very few know or recognise about Nadia's influance and insiration that was iconic to Evangelion, and it's not because Anno did Nadia before he did EVA, thought there is a causational relationship with that as well. I know it as it's plain as daylight. Anybody else see it? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5