• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon Launches Learning League

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arichu1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
Man I wish they had that when I was younger, But $1,000 for school and $100 for household err.. thats alot for education, but I guess text books are just as worst and that the population growing of course preety much maybe not that bad Confused

(yea I kinda am new here)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
This is heavily geared toward the home school market, which is smart in my opinion. I guess Nintendo finally realized our education system sucks(at least it does for many places, which in turn means millions of kids).

The people who will be using this will already be paying for there kids own education, and it will give parents a break, so I think it is a good idea. Whether it will sell or not I don't know, but it might work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Next thing you know, they're teaching how crappy yet better 4Kids did on the show than PokemonUSA. BTW, I'm 20 today.
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
So there's acually gonna be an educational Pokemon show? Then I guess if I had a wife and kids (I'm not married yet because I'm 14), I would have the kids watch it. It teaches science, math, and english/language arts. I wonder if they'll teach history in that show. Kids need to know history, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This will either turn out to be a really good or a really awful idea...
Atenias

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
They should have done this 10 years ago, then many wouldn't have learning problems now, lol
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting, using something that younger kids would definetly like to get them to learn. Nintendo could make a lot of money off this.

Ctimene's Lover wrote:
BTW, I'm 20 today.

Happy Birthday Razz
Riyousha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
This is interesting, using something that younger kids would definetly like to get them to learn. Nintendo could make a lot of money off this.

That's what I was going to say. By the time kids will get good grades from learning stuff from an education Pokemon program. Nintendo will be rich.

[fake_prediction]Soon, Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, etc.) will be a substitue teacher for a while for a school (in Japan) while he takes a break from making games. It will be like School of Rock, but it wll be School of Game Programming.[/fake_prediction]

There is a Pokemon game that was listed on Moby Games that teachs you graphics/art.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Atenias wrote:
They should have done this 10 years ago, then many wouldn't have learning problems now, lol

There are already tons (literally) of Doraemon and Anpanman educational anime/manga out there in Japan for decades.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
This is a good idea, if its used correctly. For 6 years ago, I would have love this in my country, even though every grown-up would have chopped this down and performe a final aeon a la yunalesca on it. (Yes, I love FFX.)

There is negative aspects as well - what if you get obsessed with pikachu all your life? You put your social life at danger, serious danger, when joining. And HAH, the price...

Edit: Just buy Love Hina and Goldenboy, and every lesson in life plus every fact will no longer be a question to you. Almost.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
There is negative aspects as well - what if you get obsessed with pikachu all your life? You put your social life at danger, serious danger, when joining. And HAH, the price...

True, the price is a little outrageous. And someone being obsessed with Pikachu their whole life.... there are already people like that, but we sure as hell don't need more.

But, at least it'll be helping the children learn. Hell, I know people my age who still have trouble doing basic math. Maybe I could get them this for their birthdays... Laughing

Nonetheless, it seems like a good idea that has the potential to be a major success. Hopefully, it'll work out.
Sailor Maddie Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Atenias wrote:

they should've done it years ago when Pokemon was a bigger property in the US... (when it was at it's peak)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
True, the price is a little outrageous.

$100 dollars a year is not that bad. In fact if they end up doing well, I bet the price will go up. Of course they will add more, but the cost is the same.

Sailor Maddie Mouse wrote:
they should've done it years ago when Pokemon was a bigger property in the US... (when it was at it's peak)

True.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Although this thing might be sucessful, it really does depend on whether parents want to leave their child's education to a company like Pokemon USA. Even if this sort of thing was around 8-10 years ago(I'm 15 now), I doubt my parents would approve of it. Probably because some children will only be distracted by Pokemon and not really learn anything.

Sailor Maddie Mouse wrote:
Atenias wrote:

Remember, Pokemon belonged to 4Kids at the time, and all 4Kids really cares about is making money off of terrible cartoons/edited anime and selling toys. A child's education means nothing to them.
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
This is a good idea, if its used correctly. For 6 years ago, I would have love this in my country, even though every grown-up would have chopped this down and performe a final aeon a la yunalesca on it. (Yes, I love FFX.)

Edit: Just buy Love Hina and Goldenboy, and every lesson in life plus every fact will no longer be a question to you. Almost.

Except what to do when caught watching these wealths of knowdlage by a spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend/parent
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2