• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:18 am Reply with quote
I've been highly amused that so many people didn't see this coming a mile away.

Although, personally, I was expecting an OVA of some kind. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
Wow... As a huge Evangelion fan, I can't say I'm not a bit nervous, seeing as this could either complement the series nicely, or massively screw it up. I'm most apprehensive about the idea of a "sequel", since I'm pretty much satisfied with the ending in End of Eva. I'm also strongly hoping that the U.S. license will go to ADV, and they'll be able to round up all the wonderful VAs from the original dub to reprise whatever roles they may have in this.
All in all, I have to admit I'm a bit scared at the possible implications of this, but as long as Anno-sensei is at the reigns, I'll have faith that he would never abandon his creative vision for fan-appeal. You go, Anno-sensei. We're counting on you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote
Oh, I want to see these movies-- End of Evangelion wasn't exactly the clearest resolution of matters. As Toastyfrog's Thumbnail Theater stated so well, Evangelion is an expression of Anno's about his life and times. Anno was obviously going through quite a bit of depression toward the end of the show, as well as during the movies (who else would insert his own received death threats into a major motion picture?). And this of course affected the way the ending turned out. spoiler[Eva's End was quite bleak and blotted out almost all hope for the human capacity to reach one another, and even when such hope is communicated at its strongest by Kaworu and Rei, their words are completely and utterly overpowered by the hellish image of a gigantic decomposing Rei. That plea for hope is also crushed by the the movie's final scene with Asuka. So. Images speak louder than words and final lines have more impact than preceding lines-- that's two strikes against that line of hope. I can't say that I'm entirely satisfied with that.]

spoiler[I'm sure many of you know this already, but I suppose it's worth mentioning: Asuka's original ending line was going to be something similar to "I will never let you kill me." But per Asuka's voice actress:
"Concerning the final line we adopted, I'm not sure whether I should say about it in fact. At last Anno asked me 'Miyamura, just imagine you are sleeping in your bed and a stranger sneaks into your room. He can rape you anytime as you are asleep but he doesn't. Instead, he masturbates looking at you, when you wake up and know what he did to you. What do you think you would say?' I had been thinking he was a strange man, but at that moment I felt disgusting. So I told him that I thought 'Disgusting'. And then he sighed and said, 'I thought as much.'" ]

It's been said that Anno has since gotten out of his depression. If so, I would hope that he wouldn't let such a vague and bleak ending be his final word. My primary hope is that his new movies are more optimistic.

Plotwise, I'd love for some things to be clarified, such as why SEELE and Gendou duke it out when they're both spoiler[fighting for the exact same fate]- that part was never clearly explained, though if anybody here could enlighten me about it, that would be wonderful.

Also: It's no secret that Gainax has been milking this franchise at every available opportunity (resulting in some rather creepy results), but Anno doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would make entertainment, especially his creation Evangelion, solely for profit.
lyricaldanichan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Nebs wrote:
Gainax should consider animating Evangelion Re-Take. Re-Take is probably even better than whatever the 4 movies will be about. In my mind, Re-Take is the TRUE ending to EVA, regardless of the fact that Gainax had nothing to do with it. It really is the best thing to happen to Evangelion in many years, IMO.

Jumping on the Re-Take bandwagon.. actually I wouldn't be suprised if there is a fan animation of this doujinshi.

Kinda curious on what/who they are going to use for the soundtrack. It would be awesome if they used Nirvana.. hahah
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
It's been said that Anno has since gotten out of his depression. If so, I would hope that he wouldn't let such a vague and bleak ending be his final word. My primary hope is that his new movies are more optimistic.

so you'd rather Eva of all things, be changed to have a happy ending? are you serious?
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Dune wrote:

so you'd rather Eva of all things, be changed to have a happy ending? are you serious?

I was thinking the exact same thing as Dune: Anno's victory over his depression should definitely be represented in this new Evangelion.

Besides, the end of the TV series was kind of happy.
skaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I will forgive the greed if the product is good. Is it impossible to believe that a person can think, "we need to make money" in conjunction with, "we need to make a quality product"? Go ahead and believe the worst, before the damned thing is even released.
Strategos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that doesn't care if a product is being "milked" if the quality is still excellent? If these movies are actually quite good, than the whiners will need to shut up. And if they aren't, than don't buy them perhaps? I for one am looking forward to them being released in the US.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Gooku: Now you know how I feel about Clerks 2. Rolling Eyes
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lets hope it's not like that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Evangelion and EoE, although I think the series is highly overrated and while containing quite a bit of depth isn't as deep as many people make it out to be.

I, however, am excited for these new films. The worst they could be is something everyone will ignore, and at best they will add to and improve to the series. How they fit into the series.... I have no clue. But that is, no one knows for sure yet exactly how they will fit in there. The ending was good, but I can see how it could be expanded upon. A prequel seems nice. and a mid-series film could also be worked out fairly well. The "final" film, though.... That seems a bit odd.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
sakuharu23 wrote:
Eva prequel actually sounds nice. Yes, this is a milk attempt, but giving Eva some more clarity would be nice. The sequel just confuses me. spoiler[Everyone's DEAD! Minus Asuka and Shinji. It's not much fun with just those two. ]
Thank you so much for ruining End Of Evangelion for me. I really wanted to read that spoiler (sarcasm).

Well, it's not much of a spoiler. It's been out for 9 years now. This is in the same category as Spike's ending in Cowboy Bebop and Rosebud in Citizen Kane Wink Laughing

We must bring back Kaworu! Laughing
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, if nothing else, took 'em long enough to get something concrete out on this. The rumor's been around going back to what, the beginning of summer? I guess they just wanted to get Gunbuster 2 wrapped up before really committing to anything.

...of course, it's *still* possible that the "big news" ADV referred to is something else entirely...

...in any case, I'd have been a lot more excited if instead, they announced an Angelic Days TV series...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enjeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This was a long time coming. Love NGE or hate it, NGE is one of(if not the most)recognized animes in the world. It would be a very safe bet that Anno has been approached a number of times to continue the EVA universe. Anno himself said that he is/was no longer in that state of mind when he created NGE. I knew it was only a matter of time until he felt he was ready.
Am I a little worried about it will turn out? Of course, but that is the mark of wanting to see a great series contiune in great fashion
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
I will forgive the greed if the product is good.

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I have to admit that my blood ran cold when I first read the headline, but after looking at the names involved in the project I'm beginning to feel more or less optimistic. Love him or hate him, I consider Hideaki Anno to be one of the most adept anime directors in the industry, and he proved with the recent Re: Cutie Honey that he still has as much talent directing anime today as he did 10 years ago. It's no secret around here that I'm very fond of the original NGE TV series, and consider it one of the most important anime titles in the medium (although I do try to tone down my fangirlish-ness for it). And considering so many big names from the original staff are returning... Well, we'll all just have to wait and see. I'll do my best to keep my expectations low to avoid potential disappointment later, but I'm not gonna go and badmouth this project either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gooku Hooku

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:

Some would say that leaving Evangelion alone and moving onto other things would better show his departure from the violent and depressing final scenario of Evangelion and what it represents, rather than attempting to overwrite an existing work. But you know, I don't necessarily regard The End as the "true" ending, but rather an alternate, so...I was more impacted by the original ending.

Also, there's nothing wrong with vagueness. The overlying point was made quite clear in my mind (and opinion), and it's more likely that most people do not care for such things in reality since it simply does not relate to them.

Dune wrote:
spoiler[Plotwise, I'd love for some things to be clarified, such as why SEELE and Gendou duke it out when they're both fighting for the exact same fate - that part was never clearly explained, though if anybody here could enlighten me about it, that would be wonderful.]

spoiler[I probably shouldn't be the one to answer this, but I'll give it a shot. Gendo and SEELE's ideals had a similar effect on the exterior, but they were not the same. Basically, SEELE viewed Instrumentality as rebirth through death, or something that involved death. Gendo's wish, however was more rooted in the idea of joining humanity together into a single entity, collective yet somehow seperate. In this way, he would be reunited with Yui. At least, that's how I understood it.]

Dune wrote:
Also: It's no secret that Gainax has been milking this franchise at every available opportunity (resulting in some rather creepy results), but Anno doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would make entertainment, especially his creation Evangelion, solely for profit.

That's what bothers me so much. Anno really doesn't seem like the type to milk something like this, especially when it may end up contradicting the anime and its purpose that he himself had such a large hand in. People are going to bust in and say that people like money, etc., etc., and already have, but I'd like to think this guy, who had stated many certain "things" over the years, would be different.

Which is why I'm so perplexed as to what he's doing, if he's really doing it. Depending what comes out of this whole thing, he could end up looking like a gigantic hypocrite. But I can't really make any assumptions until I see what it's all about, and less likely the circumstances surrounding this project.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6