• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Evangelion Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Mooooooooo. The cash cow just got milked again. Good for the cow.

Anno may be like Lucas in the fact that he's always trying to perfect the story, but I don't think he has the same type of ego, if not the same size.

Say, does anyone wonder why Instrumentality and the Philospher's Stone have major similarities?
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait to see the animation of NGE redone - but seeing Shinji in a FFVII:AC-ish light would be disturbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't imagine that the other units will be lining up to chuck 01 into the air, so I doubt you need worry. Cool
sanji78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty excited, if they're gonna milk it I'd rather see new footage than another PVC figure of Asuka in an Easter outfit or something.

I hope there's a prequel myself, seeing Misato alive again would be awesome. Shinji's parents. Misato's dad.

I really hope they don't make those live action films;
Summer 2008, from the makers of LotR, Haley Joel Osment as Shinji Ikari. No thanks.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
sanji78 wrote:
I really hope they don't make those live action films;
Summer 2008, from the makers of LotR, Haley Joel Osment as Shinji Ikari. No thanks.

I hope they don't make THAT live action film. I am looking forward to them and I'm sick of fans making up these worst case scenarions and attacking the idea of a live action film based on their own dumb ideas. Eva live action could work. It could also fail. (As I think Trasnformers is right now.) Right now it could go either way, yet fans are only counting on it sucking. This is a very unique production and it's in very early stages. I am actually pretty excited about it.

Actually, I would love to see a dedicated filmaker like Peter Jackson on Evangelion. Del Toro also comes to mind, but he's more into smaller monster stories.
HenriettaHaruhi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote
Hello! Smile

The one thing that I worry about with live action movies or tv shows based on anime is the fact that the characters designs will change. The character will then be associated with a live action actor or actress. One of the things that I like about anime is that the character looks like only themselves. I am sure that someone could play Rei but I think that she will lose some of her haunted look with a live action actress playing her. In short I feel that it is better to make more anime movies and tv shows as continuations.

Now as to Transformers I don't feel the same way because the humans have always taken a secondary role to the mechs in that series. So I am not as worried.

I am very interested to think of what the new Eva projects will be like. It looks interesting. As long as the story is strong I don't see how more can be a bad thing. Who knows maybe Shinji will somehow get another chance to do something else in the end.

Just my piece of mind! Anime smile
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
all you guys are full of crap, all of you.

evangelion is loved because:

1- it has giant robots and aliens with cool weapons
2-it has hot girls and likeable characters with funny punch lines (Kaji in mind)

3- it present you with misteries that cannot be aswered in religious contexts with a lot of christian symbolism (x-files anyone? the matrix?)

4- it has top notch animation and very cool designs and at the end, all is to save humanity from the misterious threat until you discover that the humand were behind this threat (ooohhh)

I just wanted at the end an "all out" war with the 3 evas against all the angels at the same time, I wanted to be saturated of violence and action until at the end Shinji saves humanity and all his friends and the spirit of his mom comes out of the eva and he gets to see her and say good bye to her spirit that was entrap by gendo on the EVA but finally she gets to be free and at the end everyone get into a kicka$$ party....

But no...Anno had to start smoking marihuana and start on his line "wanna be one with me?" and " since humans could not reach god, they cloned him" and the end was as incomprensible as the one in "the matrix revolutions"

please just follow the recipee to make fans happy this time, ok? no more crappy x-files philosphy.

thanks
Sebow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
all you guys are full of crap, all of you.

evangelion is loved because:

1- it has giant robots and aliens with cool weapons
2-it has hot girls and likeable characters with funny punch lines (Kaji in mind)

3- it present you with misteries that cannot be aswered in religious contexts with a lot of christian symbolism (x-files anyone? the matrix?)

4- it has top notch animation and very cool designs and at the end, all is to save humanity from the misterious threat until you discover that the humand were behind this threat (ooohhh)

I just wanted at the end an "all out" war with the 3 evas against all the angels at the same time, I wanted to be saturated of violence and action until at the end Shinji saves humanity and all his friends and the spirit of his mom comes out of the eva and he gets to see her and say good bye to her spirit that was entrap by gendo on the EVA but finally she gets to be free and at the end everyone get into a kicka$$ party....

But no...Anno had to start smoking marihuana and start on his line "wanna be one with me?" and " since humans could not reach god, they cloned him" and the end was as incomprensible as the one in "the matrix revolutions"

please just follow the recipee to make fans happy this time, ok? no more crappy x-files philosphy.

thanks

For the love of god, please don't major in anything that has to do with prose or screenplay writing... PLEASE.
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll be indifferent for now. I thought the original was ok, not bad, not great. This wont be any different than another new release for me. Hopefully they at least have enough budget to follow the plan this time.
Dark_Plague

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Meh... It'll probably end up like the rest of the movies made of great series.. That being an epic failure.

That said, I'm seeing them as soon as they're released anyways. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Now this should be interesting to see.

Now I've watched the original series and I thought it was quite good. Though going over budget towards the end, with and ending that had fans saying WTH??? The best part of the series is during the early half of the series.

I had the chance to read the article in this month's 'Newtype USA' (Dec. 2006). I found the information to be quite interesting. Four new movies of which 3 will tell a completely different tale of the same story. With minimal "psycho-mumbo-jumbo". While I'm sure there are plenty of folks that are looking at this as being one of those bad things of "how does one recreate a piece of work?" Not to mention those that might be 'Evanglioned' out. It's one of those things that no one would want to see touched. Or the fact that the team has way too much time on their hands and are messing with something that might not have to be touched. Well, we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with. I for one want to see what they have planned since everyone from the old team, plus new members are dying to work on this project with 'Hideki Anno' at the helm. But I would like to see how this turns out.

Of course now this means the old series is definitely going to have more value. But let's wait and see. Smile
windtalker88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
RezSav wrote:
Wow.... I'm not sure what to say. On one hand, I'm glad more EVA is on the way, but really, is their any more to say after the End of Eva?

Yes, like, "wait, what the hell was that all about?!"

Seriously, I know it's "draw your own conclusions", but good god if that wasn't an esoteric nightmare. Sorry, it was too too too vague for me to even grasp at a suitable conclusion out of the ether for it, (and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent fellow to pick up on subtlety and symbolism) but if it's going to shine a little light on it, I'm all for it.

well yeah
windtalker88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
RezSav wrote:
Wow.... I'm not sure what to say. On one hand, I'm glad more EVA is on the way, but really, is their any more to say after the End of Eva?

Yes, like, "wait, what the hell was that all about?!"

Seriously, I know it's "draw your own conclusions", but good god if that wasn't an esoteric nightmare. Sorry, it was too too too vague for me to even grasp at a suitable conclusion out of the ether for it, (and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent fellow to pick up on subtlety and symbolism) but if it's going to shine a little light on it, I'm all for it.

well yeah
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
windtalker88 wrote:

well yeah

You drug up a thread over a year old for that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6