• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What was your first manga?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
The first manga I've read was Maison Ikkoku It was a long time ago so I don't exactly remember but I used to be ignorant and think that anime was so much better than manga cause the people moved. Oh how naive I was back then.. Embarassed
FBK500

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I think it was Hikaru No Go. I was handed a Shounen Jump way back then. And I was flipping pages and landed on that. I was like oh cool. I then started to read the other stuff. So yeah Hikaru No Go.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Man, some of you guys got to read amazing things for your first manga! Maison Ikkoku and Hikaru no Go are still among the best manga I've ever read!
Anudevil13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Kekkaishi by Yellow Tanabe Embarassed
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Anudevil13 wrote:

It wasn't my first, but it was fairly early on, I quite enjoyed it, I wish it had gotten more attention (and wasn't booed out on adult swim for not being Soul Eater, which Toonami now has I think, also wish the dub didn't have Vic doing his Edward voice, variety, man!)
Anudevil13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Anudevil13 wrote:

It wasn't my first, but it was fairly early on, I quite enjoyed it, I wish it had gotten more attention (and wasn't booed out on adult swim for not being Soul Eater, which Toonami now has I think, also wish the dub didn't have Vic doing his Edward voice, variety, man!)

Smile Very Happy oo, Nice to see a fellow kekkaishi lover. And i agree despite winning the shonen manga award in 2007 its quite underrated and has got less attention compared to what it deserves. Kekkaishi holds a special place for me,since this is the reason i started anime + manga in 1st place. Watching it on animax really intrigued me and i stumbled on this world xD Razz
Dacg08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mine was Naruto i have been watching anime for a long time, but i just started reading manga after the anime started with it's endless fillers
opconvoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was a Dragon Ball Manga but my dad tossed it because Goku was naked at the beginning.

But i did have the Viz Electric tale of pikachu, not sure if that counts.
Yumehito

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was also Dragonball. I had to go down to the local comic book store which was this horrible place that I really disliked. But they had the comics I wanted. So my dad would take me down and buy me the comics. He never noticed that Goku was naked and neither did my mom. My younger self looked at the pictures of naked Goku and went "So that's what boy's peepees look like." And it never bothered me and I never cared! Laughing
Ji-L87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
If I don't count when I read the Dragon Ball volume a friend brought to school, Love Hina was my proper first.

And I think it was a very good choice. Even now.
Sure, teenage full of hormones (I guess I was?) finds a harem-comedy and likes it? Shocking news, I say! Rolling Eyes

The reality is though, I found Love Hina inspiring in all kinds of ways. I mean, yeah, the girls were pretty and I had my favorites (Motoko!) but I really liked how there was such a focus on the backgrounds & environments. It really helped to create feeling of immersion, that this actually took place somewhere and I found it just so...cozy? Just really visually pleasing in general - even vehicles and weapons (when they showed up) was well drawn and detailed and had a certain tactile feel to them. I also remember some scenes with powerful perspective usage - which I didn't at all expect given the genre.

I still find it enjoyable to flip through the different volumes just to see how Akamatsu's drawings improved as it went on. I actually consider Love Hina a bit of a sweet spot stylistically as well. I haven't really read A.I. Love you or his latest work, but I remember feeling that Negima could often feel a little "stiff". That stiffness can be found in Love Hina as well, but the earlier volumes still has a certain softness to them that I enjoy for whatever reason. Also the length was just about right.

Love Hina seem to get a fair share of bad rep here and there and while many, if not all complaints are legitimate, I had a really good time with it.

/nostalgia glasses
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Volume 21 of Ruroni Kenshin, purchased on December 11th of 2006.

Cool

For a while, I could tell you the exact order in which I had purchased my tankoubon. It's been so long since I last bought a volume that I haven't the foggiest clue which came after my second purchase...
Mami Melody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:05 am Reply with quote
Lovely Complex.

It was also the first anime I saw all the way through. At first, the moments of Chibi really threw me, and I thought it was so loooong. But then I loved it, and had to buy all of the manga.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
One Piece!!! It was my introduction to the manga world, and it got me ready for the FUNimation English version of the anime when it aired on Cartoon Network at the time.
Futago_101

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Naruto.

I found a copy of Shonen Jump in my local grocery store many years ago (around 7th grade) and saw that Naruto was on the cover. It was also during the time that Naruto was in the process of premiering on Cartoon Network.
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
My first manga was Dragon Knights by Mineko Ohkami. It was my sisters, and I reread volume 2 (the only volume she had) so many times. It's a shame no one has rescued that series, it's such a pain hunting down all those out-of-print volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 29