• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Adds Myself; Yourself TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
There were people asking for this?

I mean, this is the series where spoiler[a brother and sister realize they're in love with each other and decide to drop out of high school and runaway together, and when they show up again in the distant finale they've faced absolutely no negative consequences for their choice.]

That really was the strangest B romance possible. Series have failed time and again with something like this as its A romance; "What strange twist of fate is keeping these two from their love?" Yeah, that hook doesn't always work, especially when the two "star crossed lovers" spoiler[share the same parents].

The biggest problem with Myself; Yourself is the Go Zappa team is a lot better at comedy than drama and this one has way too much drama to start with. Bridge to the Starry Sky {not quite the title I think but it's another Go Zappa effort} would have been a better choice but Maiden Japan needs all the shows they can get, I guess.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME. This is one of my top ten anime to reccomend to people, due to its great character relationships and focus on serious issues. It is awesome, I promise. If I hadn't already purchased all the limited edition DVDs in Japan, I would totally buy the box set. Sorry, I waited for 6 years, couldn't be asked to be more patient.

Anyway, I STRONGLY reccomend this series!
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I mean, this is the series where spoiler[a brother and sister realize they're in love with each other and decide to drop out of high school and runaway together, and when they show up again in the distant finale they've faced absolutely no negative consequences for their choice.]

I think you're being rather unfair on the show there. In the case of the spoiler[brother and sister they were quite happy to keep their relationship as siblings but due to some nasty rumors were basically forced to run away or be separated as siblings. And as to no consequences, well I don't think anyone else in the audience spotted them.]

Overall I found this surprisingly good for a eroge visual novel adaptation.

That's what I remember of the situation as well. They weren't actually spoiler[in love with one another, a bunch of incest rumors got them bullied out of school]

First of all- why should the siblings spoiler[be punished for being in love?] It makes no sense. Secondly, this story was hinting to an actual story arc in the game about spoiler[Shusuke confessing his love for Shuri. It was a beautiful and thought-provoking confession, and I think the anime did a good job of adapting these feelings in a short time. I don't personally have feelings for my brother (yuck!) but I think that if the couple is consensual and is RESPONSIBLE (not having kids), it's not hurting anyone. In the end of the anime, it can be assumed that the two do not have children with the framing.]

Myself;Yourself deals with a lot of really serious issues, like spoiler[infidelity, murder, bullying, suicide, consensual incest, age difference romantic relationships, and more.] I suggest my fellow anime fans not to write this anime off just because it has one element you don't like.

P.S. Myself;Yourself is NOT an eroge. It is a visual novel with no erotic content for the PlayStation 2, with an epilogue game as well. I own both...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Well I at least enjoyed the show. I'll definitely be picking it up.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

I think you're being rather unfair on the show there. In the case of the spoiler[brother and sister they were quite happy to keep their relationship as siblings but due to some nasty rumors were basically forced to run away or be separated as siblings. And as to no consequences, well I don't think anyone else in the audience spotted them.]

Overall I found this surprisingly good for a eroge visual novel adaptation.

That's what I remember of the situation as well. They weren't actually spoiler[in love with one another, a bunch of incest rumors got them bullied out of school]

First of all- why should the siblings spoiler[be punished for being in love?] It makes no sense. Secondly, this story was hinting to an actual story arc in the game about spoiler[Shusuke confessing his love for Shuri. It was a beautiful and thought-provoking confession, and I think the anime did a good job of adapting these feelings in a short time. I don't personally have feelings for my brother (yuck!) but I think that if the couple is consensual and is RESPONSIBLE (not having kids), it's not hurting anyone. In the end of the anime, it can be assumed that the two do not have children with the framing.]

Myself;Yourself deals with a lot of really serious issues, like spoiler[infidelity, murder, bullying, suicide, consensual incest, age difference romantic relationships, and more.] I suggest my fellow anime fans not to write this anime off just because it has one element you don't like.

P.S. Myself;Yourself is NOT an eroge. It is a visual novel with no erotic content for the PlayStation 2, with an epilogue game as well. I own both...

While not siblings, new research (That I cant seem to find in my history, sorry) showed that first cousins caused birth defects at pretty much the same rate as strangers. And thank you for clearing up the difference between eroge and visual novel...I hate when they get bundled together. The anime could've been better than it was, but you are right..it does deal with a lot of serious issues and I think it's big problem was that it didn't have a lot of time to do so.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:

While not siblings, new research (That I can't seem to find in my history, sorry) showed that first cousins caused birth defects at pretty much the same rate as strangers. And thank you for clearing up the difference between eroge and visual novel...I hate when they get bundled together. The anime could've been better than it was, but you are right..it does deal with a lot of serious issues and I think it's big problem was that it didn't have a lot of time to do so.

...Sniff. Thank you for not attacking me for standing up for this. I'm touched. Anime hyper Thank you Kougeru/Isurugi Noe-san~
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
^God dam some people with sense. Its actually been thought for a while that even siblings are not likely to have defective kids. To have major physical and mental issues requires many successive generations constantly breeding with one another. So yes the negative affects of incest are much more dramatized than actual.

And if you want to get really technical, if you have two "pure" humans barring mutation, incest actually would have no negative affects no matter how much they interbreed. Issues arise because pretty much all people have some defective or harmful genes, and usually they are recessive and don't show up. But of course even with recessive genes enough breeding with the same people with the same genes allows them to crop up.

Plus I find it funny how same people who decry incestuous relationships would be parading a homosexual couple through the street like heroes and bastions of purity. The fact of the matter is that both are relationships that are not the norm, a heterosexual couple is the standard based on the very nature of life and evolution, to survive and reproduce. I don't have anything against either homosexuals or incestuous couples it but statistically they are an outlier. So from a practical standpoint you should either support both or neither, yet one is outright villainous and the other almost sanctified these days.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
^God dam some people with sense. Its actually been thought for a while that even siblings are not likely to have defective kids. To have major physical and mental issues requires many successive generations constantly breeding with one another. So yes the negative affects of incest are much more dramatized than actual.

And if you want to get really technical, if you have two "pure" humans barring mutation, incest actually would have no negative affects no matter how much they interbreed. Issues arise because pretty much all people have some defective or harmful genes, and usually they are recessive and don't show up. But of course even with recessive genes enough breeding with the same people with the same genes allows them to crop up.

Plus I find it funny how same people who decry incestuous relationships would be parading a homosexual couple through the street like heroes and bastions of purity. The fact of the matter is that both are relationships that are not the norm, a heterosexual couple is the standard based on the very nature of life and evolution, to survive and reproduce. I don't have anything against either homosexuals or incestuous couples it but statistically they are an outlier. So from a practical standpoint you should either support both or neither, yet one is outright villainous and the other almost sanctified these days.

I completely agree. And also, why do people only focus on the child-bearing aspect? Even if a brother-sister incest couple are married, they don't have to have children, and as I've seen in my research, many don't! Like gay couples, lots adopt, or don't have children at all!

Sure, consensual incest will probably never be accepted in society, but at least in fiction can't we be a LITTLE more accepting? It's not like I FANTASIZE about brothers and sisters in real life...
bored-otaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
^In my opinion, people just need to learn to stay out of each other's business. Personally, I don't care what relationship people choose to take with one another since it doesn't affect me or my outlook on life in any way.
LuScr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
Pretty much the only thing I remember about this series is the wrath of the PTA. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Well, there's a reason this is a forgotten anime that has Maiden Japan picking it up. Good luck to them.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hell yes! I never thought this would come out. I hope it's a relative smash hit for them and it opens up the flood gates for depressing, romancey, high school shows. Bring on the H20, license rescue Koi Kaze and Saikano, and cap it all off with a School Days BD.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, there's a reason this is a forgotten anime that has Maiden Japan picking it up. Good luck to them.

Kinda harsh imo but i'm happy that it was licensed for domestic release for the fans such as myself. As far as I know it's going to be a sub only release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
well if they keep on getting these types of shows, then my dreams of getting an official release of Itazura ns Kiss, might one day happen
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to finally check this series off my list, now could we please have SOMEONE license Nagasarete Airantou or Omamori Himari. I would be most grateful Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2