• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AS line-up

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Oh HELL. I really can't explain why I don't like American Cartoons. I just don't. At least not the modern ones. I love Bugs, Daffy, Tom & Jerry, the Flintstones and the Jetsons. But I just can't stand South Park, Futurerama, The Simpsons, etc. I can't explain it I just don't. I've tried to watch them but they get on my nerves.

I also can't stand Friends, Will & Grace and Everybody does not love Raymond. M*A*S*H, Cosby Show anytime is the right time, they're great.

Like I said, I can't really explain why I don't like them...**aaauughhhh! pulls at hair!**

Therein lies the problem. By saying that you kinda put yourself in with the idiota en cabezas who say "ANIME SUX IT'S ALL BIG EYED CRAP 'n TENTACLES!!" and whose only experience with it is a poorly dubbed Overfiend tape. I mean I post here and on other sites about the younger generation who loves Japanese animation and hates other stuff and it's nuts. I ask them what American stuff have you seen to make you feel it sucks and it always the same thing: Disney post 1996, South Park, Family Guy and the like. What about the stuff that garnered acclaim? I wrote a piece on it awhile back where I went back-and-forth with a Japanese anime fan (it sort of was a dub-sub piece), I'll quote it. I'm TF:

AIM-ing for a Resolution wrote:
TF: A poster stated every American cartoon she’s seen that and liked doesn’t compare to the anime she’s liked, that they aren’t the same thing. She also went on and said to name some good american cartoons and if she hadn’t seen them them she’ll go watch them and respond accordingly to see if they were good.
TF: My reponse to that? I quote:
TF: “Oh dear Lord she got me started:

First, I'll start small because if I gave you my Top 50 we'll never see you again. So start off with these twenty:

Dexter's Laboratory, The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest, Samurai Jack, King of the Hill, Batman: TAS, The PowerPuff Girls, Family Guy, Doug, X-Men (early 90s), Batman-Superman Adventures (late 90s), Spider-Man (mid-late 90s), X-Men: Evolution, South Park, The Simpsons, Johnny Bravo, Spider-Man: Unlimited, The Boondocks, Batman Beyond, Hey Arnold!, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Rocko's Modern Life...

I dare you to compare crap like Super Milk-Chan, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (or Bobo Idiot as I call him) , Zatch Bell (Hell, I like Zatch Bell too!) to the music, animation, and story/impact of these series alone. And when you've watched them I'M NOT DONE. I got much more."
TF: Notice the mix of young/old shows, dramas, comedies, and whatnot.
Ms2002: You’re going to find elitist bastards everywhere, and most don’t really know what’s good about anime so you have to shrug them off.
Ms2002: But that’s a badass list.
TF: I was a animation whore when I was younger. I'm not the typical Japanese anime fan. I watch whatever I research and whatever appeals to me, Viva la animation...
TF: Also remember the post I made? After I listed the shows you know what her reply was?
Ms2002: im afraid to ask… probably a very large "SO!"
TF: Brace for impact. I quote here: “those shows youve mentioned, the anime i don't like, im not going to compare them in a post either. i hav seen most of the shows there and really only Samurai Jack stands out, and isn't Boondocks anime style? i don't really like the american super hero idea, yes i know japanese have heros with incredable ability but there stories and ideas as to why i like much better. and teh emotion they show in there shows i really haven't seen many(meaning there are some times) american shows compare to.
TF: … The Frankman am cry.
Ms2002: Ignoring the other persons’ point is a very valid debating tactic . . . or they could just be stupid and decided not to respond directly to your statements.

My point is that animation is not completely Apple Jacks here: you don't just like/dislike it. There's always a reason, a bias, something. Also I'm noticing you're listing modern Americans sitcoms now, what's going on here? Maybe someone's tapping into the Hatorade Wink? I mean if you dislike most "new" American shows in general fine, that's cool. But at least you have a set reason why. I'm very interested in the responses here.

**Opened big mouth and inserted foot clear up to thigh.**

Okay, I've slept on it overnight and I still can't explain why I don't really like American Cartoons. Maybe it's Sitcoms in general that I don't like. I sat through the first two seasons of Galaxy Angel and laughed my butt off, but I still can't verbalize why I don't like American Cartoons. I just can't and it's a bit frustrating for me that I can't sufficiently explain to the rest of you why not. Confused

**going to zip the lip now Rolling Eyes a little late perhaps but better late than never.**
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
M*A*S*H,

I know you said you didn't like it, but I would suggest watching the movie(which came before the series). It is different and uses a dark humor. I hope you aren't afraid of saws though.
LydiaDianne wrote:
[b]Cosby Show
awe, everyone loves da puddin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
M*A*S*H,

I know you said you didn't like it, but I would suggest watching the movie(which came before the series). It is different and uses a dark humor. I hope you aren't afraid of saws though.
LydiaDianne wrote:
[b]Cosby Show

Quote:
I also can't stand Friends, Will & Grace and Everybody does not love Raymond . [period] M*A*S*H, Cosby Show anytime is the right time, they're great.

You missed the period Very Happy I love M*A*S*H and the Great Coz!
goins007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
M*A*S*H,

LydiaDianne wrote:
[b]Cosby Show

Quote:
I also can't stand Friends, Will & Grace and Everybody does not love Raymond . [period] M*A*S*H, Cosby Show anytime is the right time, they're great.

You should still check out the movie if you haven't yet, it's great comedy Wink
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

Theorectical here: What "anime" (I assume you people want some Japanese animation) do you want to replace TGTTM/12 Oz.? You know their timeslot is horrible and will just lead to more "OMG THEY STUCK (insert series here) into a HORRIBLE TIMESLOT!! [as] HATORZZZ ANIME!!" threads. I mean the JA heads can't be complaining here!! Laughing

Well, for starters, i'd increase the time footprint of Robot Chicken by 15 minutes. Do a recap episode from last week, and then do the new episode after that.

Move Shinchan to Sunday nights.

And institute some sorta fanservice anime on Adult Swim.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

I knew I should have screen caped it when I saw it.

On the website it had an advertisment for Trinity Blood with a picture of one of the girls, breasts falling out almost. And it said something like "With guns these big........" And I don't remember the rest.

The picture is gone now, I should have saved it. But it was clearly pointing out the fanservice.

I just find it rather ironic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Some people love anime and some people loves comedy but the latter have more people watching it.

Last edited by naruto fan 09812 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
goins007 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
M*A*S*H,

LydiaDianne wrote:
[b]Cosby Show

Quote:

I have seen it. The actual lyrics to the title song "Suicide Solution(I think that's the title) are...interesting to say the least.
goins007

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:38 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
goins007 wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
M*A*S*H,

LydiaDianne wrote:
[b]Cosby Show

Quote:

I have seen it. The actual lyrics to the title song "Suicide Solution(I think that's the title) are...interesting to say the least.

The song was written by the directors 16 year old son for the movie, his dad got him the rights to the song and because of that he made more money off the movie than his dad did. In the DVD extras I think...
caseclosedfan414

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
naruto fan 09812 wrote:
Some people love anime and some people loves comedy but the ladder have more people watching it.

...so then, why not put on some Comedy anime? If what you're saying is true, then that should make everyone happy. Wink

P.S. The word is "latter", not "ladder". I normally don't attempt to correct anyone's grammer, spelling, punctuation, etc...because I just don't care about those kind of things, in general, and it's not a big deal when someone makes a mistake or anything. But, in this case, I just felt that I should tell you that just as an FYI. I saw it as more of a word error, than a simple spelling error, so I felt that I should tell you, just so you know. Wink
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Did I mention Kim Manning will NEVER allow that to happen as long as she's in power? Anything with too many romance angles (Honey and Clover imho) or harem stuff will never be on [as] *coughfemnazicough*. She however doesn't control ads, which obviously speak the opposite.

Sort of OT, but one of my fave ad was the old The Brak Show one with the old [as] music where everything was "Japanized". "Super crunchy Action, ooo ooo ooo!" and "It's electrifying!!"
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Did I mention Kim Manning will NEVER allow that to happen as long as she's in power? Anything with too many romance angles (Honey and Clover imho) or harem stuff will never be on [as] *coughfemnazicough*. She however doesn't control ads, which obviously speak the opposite.

I seen this before about Kim Manning. She doesn't like shojo titles? Wouldn't titles like that attract more views since, from what I see on ANN, people are like shojo and [as] might get more people who don't normally watch it, to watch it. (did I make any sense with that?)

And while I should take offense Wink with the femnazi remark, I will not! Because sad to say, some of my gender have zippo sense of humor when it comes to certain things. Rolling Eyes
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I seen this before about Kim Manning. She doesn't like shojo titles?

It is more like she is against any fanservice(for the sake of being fanservice) at all. Which never made sense to me considering what is on the rest of the schedule block.
emory

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I seen this before about Kim Manning. She doesn't like shojo titles? Wouldn't titles like that attract more views since, from what I see on ANN, people are like shojo and [as] might get more people who don't normally watch it, to watch it. (did I make any sense with that?)

And while I should take offense Wink with the femnazi remark, I will not! Because sad to say, some of my gender have zippo sense of humor when it comes to certain things. Rolling Eyes

She said they won't do shojo or romantic comedy because they're not ready to take that chance yet, since AS targets men more than women. She also said that, were they to try romance someday, they'd start with His and Her Circumstances.

And you can't say because something's popular on the internet, it'll translate to television viewers, or other mediums. Especially with the amount of people who are hardcore subbies and refuse to watch dubs. The difference between the tastes of a niche culture and a mainstream TV audience can be a drastic one.

Dargonxtc wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
I seen this before about Kim Manning. She doesn't like shojo titles?

It is more like she is against any fanservice(for the sake of being fanservice) at all. Which never made sense to me considering what is on the rest of the schedule block.

Somewhere on AS.com she clarified that by saying she doesn't prefer shows where fanservice takes over the show and becomes more important than the story.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I've also seen this on [adult swim] many times, and I KINDA get what she means. A shojo show might completely destroy the male 18-49 deathgrip they have, heck the complaints about Eureka 7 I saw occasionally were funny.

Quote:

Would I say that? No, but it's been said many times (again on [as]) by angry JA fans who want (insert series here). You should check their forum thread and see the suggestions that will never see the light of day on [as]. Honey and Clover? Are you kidding me? There better be some action, explosions, or something in it that the guys can dig. The best JA example of a show on [as] that drew in support from the XY chromosone group to me is Wolf's Rain. Even I got misty-eyed at it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7