• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Serial Experiments Lain (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Lain is spoiler[Lain].
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
Marathon Episodes 4-6: Religion, Distortion, Kids

A few interesting things. First Lain continues to change. spoiler[She goes out with the girls, wears makeup and jewelry, and her personality in the wired seems more forceful. Lain creates sound waves that pass thru her window to attack 2 men who have been spying on her. In one scene a child raises his arms to the sky above him which is full of the powerline wires]. Almost seems to implying that youth worships the wired. This seems prescient (show is 1998?) when you think of social media, online gaming, and how everyone is glued to their smartphones nowadays. In another scene spoiler[it appears that children are raising their hands almost in a worshipful manner to an image of Lain in the sky. Lain is unhappy to see this and its implied that this is the doing of the "Knights" a group of hackers. Lain's room with her Navi continues to grow with machinery over time enveloping most of the room. Where did all this machinery come from]? These scenes can be taken in different ways. spoiler[Things are going on in the world things that could be considered hallucinations, or the real world is being acted upon and influenced by the wired or its all a virtual world. In any of these scenarios Lain seems to be at the center of it all. Perhaps all of this is a dream of hers as a being within the machine]? These are all just speculations on my part.

In one episode its presented spoiler[thru images of her parents that electrical currents connect the wired world to the real world. But what it seems to be suggesting is that mental electrical impulses can crossover to the wired. It may also imply that the wired can hack people in the real world (GITS reference?) if everything is electrical. Is this why her sister seems to be having hallucinations telling her about a prophecy? Are the knights hacking her sister in the real world]? It goes along with Lain's earlier comment that everything is connected even the wired and the real.

There's a fair amount going on here, maybe too much to absorb while trying to marathon several shows at once. I can definitely see myself returning to this show and rewatching it for details that I'm missing. I am watching it dubbed and I maybe missing some of the emotional intonations because of the sometimes stiff delivery in this older show. Next time I'll have to watch it subbed.

Ha! On one of her machines it says "Hal power 5000", that got a good laugh from me. An AI reference...interesting.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:14 am Reply with quote
I dunno. I watched it dubbed and had no problem, but maybe that's because I'm used to older dubs. I'll rewatch it subbed too. Maybe it's better.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Marathon Episodes 7-10: Society, Rumors, Protocol, Love

Wow its really kind of turning into a real mind screw. Seems like there are a bunch of conspiracies and different sides trying to work Lain. She seems to spoiler[exhibit different aspects of her personality or its possibly multiple personalities and there's a chance that maybe some one is impersonating her. There's a timid Lain, a more forceful Lain, a cruel Lain and maybe a Lain that is a God]. There's also the idea of thought made flesh. spoiler[A consciousness born/created on the wired taking physical form in the real world]. There's a lot to chew on in these episodes. This is definitely a show I will probably watch again. Maybe a show I would have liked to watch week to week instead of marathon.

louis6578 wrote:
I dunno. I watched it dubbed and had no problem, but maybe that's because I'm used to older dubs. I'll rewatch it subbed too. Maybe it's better.
There can be a lot of differences between subs and dubs and sometimes none at all (dubtitles). The acting can be different or sometimes just not so hot. Sometimes in reviews you will see the reviewer state that it took several episodes for the actor to get the hang of the role in the dub. Sometimes the scripts between dubs and subs are different. Sometimes the writers of the scripts get too creative with them or sometimes they can be downright lazy. Sometimes you can get a different perspective switching between them. I'm finding this dub to be "serviceable", which means its nothing particularly special about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5