• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Serial Experiments Lain (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
This is sort of an announcement to others interested in taking part! I will actually start watching it as soon as I finish some of the shorter series this spring, which will be in a few weeks, and I would like for everyone to look out for a fresh discussion thread in not too long. Texhnolyze after that. Very Happy

Oh, that'd be nice. Like, we'd watch an episode a week and discuss what the heck is going on? Because I have no idea what happened in this show. It's among the number in my anime list that I haven't rated because I didn't understand what was going on. I haven't rewatched it yet because I'm not too good on my own with picking up on symbolism or the subtler points of thick plots.

Yeah, that's what I was possibly thinking myself, that we could maybe do it an episode a week or something along those lines. That I think would be the easiest way to do it. Allthough I'm all for marathoning it too if we'd rather do it that way, it just seems like it would be a whole lot more disorganised if we did.

Well I got my box set in the mail back on Tuesday (of course I'm saving it for your thread Ko Wink ) so I'm all set for whenever we get this thread started. From the sound of things it's like you say Dorcas, it's going to be a series I'm really going to need to rely on discussion for. Anime smile + sweatdrop I mean normally I'm not all that bad at following complex storylines and whatnot, but at the same time when you've got one at this calibur of complexety I can get stumped pretty easily, and for the most part for series like this I always seem to find myself relying on thread discussion for the series to figure out what the heck is going on. Anime smile + sweatdrop (That's part of what's been killing me with Baccano, although going back to watch the first 2 episodes really seemed to help, as would I'm sure rewatching the whole series at one point) And as much as I'm sure I wouldn't mind watching it over again to get a better understanding of it, as far as time restraints go it'd be nice if I may not have to if I'm following a discussion at the same time.

Whatever the case though, I'm excited to be able to participate. Very Happy Now let's just hope I can ever afford the Tex box set......
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'll join in too if we're doing episode by episode discussions - I've seen the series about four times by now, but I always find something new every time I watch it, and I'd be interested to discuss it with everyone else and hear some different interpretations of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Skys

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'll join in on a discussion if I am around.

Anyway, here's my opinion of Serial Experiments Lain after watching it once. I thought it was a very good show. Although, it is definitely not a show for those who feed on action. It is methodically paced slowly moving one through the show step by step, and all the while growing in complexity and revealing more questions to be asked.

Those very questions that were raised throughout the show is where I found enjoyment from watching it. What does one's existence mean? If no one notices you, do you still count as existing? What makes a god a god? What happens after death? The questions go on and on, and I could spend hours upon hours trying to analyzing them. The show provides its own unique perspectives upon these answers directing the viewer closer to understanding the show and furthermore giving the viewer a greater understanding to the complexities of human nature.

If you don't like philosophy, existential questions, and what not, I would say this show is not for you. If you do, however, you will highly enjoy this show.
retty

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:53 am Reply with quote
My friend made me watch this in an attempt to get me into anime, which was a massive step backwards. I gave up before the last DVD because I didn't feel like wasting any more of my time. Not once did the show become interesting, and not once did it bother to give you any clue as to what was going on. Considering I gave up near the end I think I gave it a fair chance to actually do something, but it never did. I don't need action but I need a reason to watch and it just wasn't giving me anything. To me it was one of many anime that seems to have been conceived as a cool idea but no one ever bothered to figure out the finer details of the plot. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's certainly how it came across. Best thing about it was Lain's pjs; I seriously want that bear suit.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Like, we'd watch an episode a week and discuss what the heck is going on?

This is actually what I wanted to ask everyone. I think it'd help the thread flow better if we watch an episode a week (on a chosen day or something), like most of the fansub threads do. It'd also be easier on those with a tight schedule, and it would leave more time between each episode for thought and lots of discussion. And the thread would last longer.

I also thought about the idea of watching an episode a day (or possibly two a day), but I don't think most people would be that impatient considering what I've heard about the content. It's supposed to be a fun thread for discussion. No rushing necessary. Smile Plus, I don't really have the time to do that considering how many series I'm already watching and going to both summer school and work. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
I also thought about the idea of watching an episode a day (or possibly two a day), but I don't think most people would be that impatient considering what I've heard about the content. It's supposed to be a fun thread for discussion. No rushing necessary. Smile Plus, I don't really have the time to do that considering how many series I'm already watching and going to both summer school and work. Anime cry

I too considered that as a possibility, and in a way almost favored it over the once a week idea. I just felt like the sooner we get done with this, the sooner we could get around to Tex. Wink

But yeah, you make a point, one in which was pretty much my deciding factor for me thinking that once a week would be the best way to do it. It seems like the discussion for it would flow a lot better that way, and like you say, the thread would definitely last longer if we did. Plus that and it gives me even more time to find a way to buy Tex. Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd be down with an episode-by episode discussion too, as it's been about 3 years since I saw the series.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:07 am Reply with quote
One of the first anime I saw from start to finish in order. I think this show is interesting. I think it sort of changes tone after the first disc (mine had 3 volumes I think), but I prefer that tone so it didn't bother me.

Overall it was pretty good. Nothing like mind blowing or next level anime, but if you like sci-fi stuff and you like when people babble on about science or psychology (which I do) I'd have a hard time imagining you disliking Lain.
HaiKeba

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Short answer: Lain was great. Smile
otaku_gal

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
[img] that show almost made my brain explode with confusion. i did not find that show at all entertaining or the least bit enjoyable Mad [/img]
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I didn't hate Lain, but didn't love it either. I always have a feeling if I had watched the series in order (dammit, why can't my cable system make Locomotion/Animax LA a regular instead of a premium channel like Sky does.. I'm still baffled Anime hyper), and maybe, just maybe if I had liked the spanish dub more, I would have appreciated.. and understood the series more.

I ain't stupid, but I probably just didn't get the right enviroment to watch this show. I personally love Kon's Millenium Actress and Boogiepop Phantom which are other abstract anime, so it is a bit odd.

Then again, Gasaraki gives me hypoglycemia every freaking time I try to watch it. ¬¬

I do recall I liked that salaryman character who got insane and wears blue makeup from lain. Weird guy. Lain's sister for some strange reason reminds me so much of my older sister, she even looks like her. Scary. (O)_(o)''
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Phew! That was close! I thought this topic would get locked for Necroposting, which would be a shame because Lain leaves the viewer with a lot to talk about. Of course, I don't think it really does that until the very end of the first viewing, so... discussing without spoilers will be dull.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Phew! That was close! I thought this topic would get locked for Necroposting [...].

If you look here, then you will see that that this thread is exempt from the Necroposting rule -- or at least, it should be recognized as being exempt from the Necroposting rule.

I do appreciate your concern.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Marathon Episodes 1-3: Weird, Girls, Psyche.

I think I originally saw Lain over a decade ago. I don't remember a lot or where I saw it and I'm not sure if I even finished it. I do remember having positive feelings for the show. Anyways I had picked up the Funimation LE release 2-3 years ago and its been sitting in my backlog since then. So, its one of the shows I want to get to in this marathon.

The first 3 episodes are visually hallucinogenic with a suggestion of perhaps spoiler[a dual or split personality] for the main character of Lain. The light outside is often extremely bright bleaching everything out. It is almost oppressive. The shadows have splotches of red that at times look like flowers or blood. spoiler[Even at night the shadows have them and combine that with the girl's suicide in episode 1] it creates an ominous feeling. Lain as a character seems clumsy, childish and has difficulty communicating. She spoiler[dresses in pajamas (bear?) that might be appropriate to a child half her age and is behind her classmates with awareness of technology which suggests an immaturity. Her parents seem preoccupied and almost indifferent to her, yet her father continually stresses the importance of "communication"]. Kids so far are prominent as is their use of technology.

The idea of a spoiler[dual or split personality is presented early. In the first episode while Lain is on the train looking outside one of her eyes is normal and the other has a dilated pupil. This might suggest that the dilated eye is seeing something else. Episode 2 introduces drugs that speed up the mind and perhaps cause hallucinations which might explain the dilated eye. Lain encounters a young man hopped up on the drug who says "the wire can never interfere with the real world", and Lain responds, "no matter where you are everyone is always connected". Lain's response is done in a more direct and confident manner as opposed to her usual hesitancy and stutter. In episode 3 a young boy says he's seen Lain before on the wired, but her personality is the complete opposite to the one she has now. Other people have said similar things. This again seems to reinforce a dual personality theme].

There's several directions I think this can go. spoiler[It can be a girl who is breaking down psychologically, it could be a matrix like world, or even a combination of both]. It has made me think of The Matrix and anime like Denno Coil.

Ha, ha. Also lots of homages to Apple Computer. Copland operating system was an Apple OS that they tried to develop and Lain's Navi looks a lot like a 20th Anniversary Mac.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5