• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Big Ones

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I think with Lupin, one of the issues was how they released the films/specials/series. If instead of releasing the whole 2nd series in (more-or-less) order, Geneon should have started with some of the better episodes. Like the Miyazaki episodes from near the end of the series. Same with Funimation - most of the stuff they released was middle of the road or poor, and they took older stuff instead of more current specials. And they they gave up, because the dvds weren't selling.

The multiple voice casts also didn't help.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Aizen: The Lupin episodes were selling in order. It's just that Geneon was too slow to adapt to the boxset model for a lot of their shows, including Lupin.

As for FUNimation, they did have newer Lupin specials. Their problem was that the series was treated as an afterthought to them, so they didn't promote it as much. [If you were lucky, you'd see one or two Lupin trailers on a random DBZ disc, and that's about it.] And their dubs were shitty in general at the time, so that didn't help much, either.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the unwanted anime merchandise in Japan, I think it's just a case where they (almost) give it away. When I was in Japan the day after Halloween and went to a UFO arcade, they rigged the machines with leftover Halloween themed toys so that you could easily win them for 100 yen or two. These were large sized Rilakkuma plushies that would usually retail at $30-$40 at an anime convention. Prior to Halloween's end, these toys would have been difficult to win.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Regarding the unwanted anime merchandise in Japan, I think it's just a case where they (almost) give it away. When I was in Japan the day after Halloween and went to a UFO arcade, they rigged the machines with leftover Halloween themed toys so that you could easily win them for 100 yen or two. These were large sized Rilakkuma plushies that would usually retail at $30-$40 at an anime convention. Prior to Halloween's end, these toys would have been difficult to win.

Well, they can only offer certain figures and goods in certain arcades, but usually, the goods that overstay their period of welcome go into the cheap-and-easy-to-win machines so that they disappear the quickest and they don't have to hold onto them anymore.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Disney X.D Malaysia aired an English dubbed version of Heroman dubbed in HK i guess..Go check Disney X.D Malaysia's official Youtube page.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
If they had excess merchandise they'd just sell it to DonQuijote as novelties.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Disney would have had to dub to at least episode 3 as dub clips exist from the first 3 episodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACrJoLaYYh4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAx5E2GNS4M

I also expect that because Disney Anime hyper Malaysia advertised that it was coming that most likely would have actually aired in that country. I also found this article from last year saying that Heroman was coming to Disney Anime hyper in India as well

http://www.business-standard.com/article/press-releases/-8217heroman-8217-a-new-hero-rises-on-disney-xd-every-monday-to-friday-112043000066_1.html
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Those are from a separate S.E. Asian dub of Heroman, it's not the NYAV dub that was intended for the US.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Those are from a separate S.E. Asian dub of Heroman, it's not the NYAV dub that was intended for the US.

Interesting, so Disney decided not to go with Heroman in America, but had a different English dub made for South East Asia. Which makes me wonder why Disney hasn't just placed that dub onto DVD here. From the clips I have seen I have seen a lot worse dubs than that.
suprememoonempress

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I've been a Lupin the Third fan ever since I was a little girl. I remember seeing a man in a green jacket running across the screen avoiding bullets. It has been a shame that it could never be really popular, shows like Fujiko Mine and crossovers with such as Detective Conan, and new specials, I think it has a chance to get back on the market. It is definitely a classic like your parent's old Space Captain Harlock VHS just sitting there, It has all these chances to be redeemed but no on is taking the chance
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's much of anything in anime today that's a "guaranteed hit" overseas.

Remember, even the Miyazaki stuff maybe sells in the hundreds of thousands of copies through Disney and NOT the millions a first-run, big budget Hollywood feature does...
Still wish the Ghibli Blu rays were cheaper in store.... You can't buy them for much less than $25 anywhere... they usually sell for $30!

I stopped worrying for the most part about what other fans want.
From what I see, most anime fans are shallow fans and they won't be in the hobby 3-5 years from now let alone 10 years. I've seen a lot of cosplayers in the local area but these are not deep fans. They'd be cosplaying other things if the anime designs weren't more interesting than most of the domestic product in the US is..

Let them enjoy Outlaw Star, Naruto, and so forth... It's not as if the DBZ crowd is buying much else besides Dragonball, either.

I've got to get on getting more of the domestic LupinIII releases, too.
Loved the run on Cartoon Network years back and met the lead a year or two ago... Same actor (Tony Oliver) that played Rick Hunter way back when in the Robotech days.

It's such an idiosyncratic series. I find myself enjoying a lot of the "old style" anime series like Lupin more than this "evolutionary" or pretty boy crap we've had since the mid-1990s.

For that matter, the Tezuka designs aren't so bad-looking today, either. For all its storyfaults and pacing, Metropolis was a pretty-looking picture.

I've been through my Gundam phase and back.

Wing is the best of the alternate reality Gundam series I've seen; UC Gundam continuity for all its weirdness is still more coherent and has more character than most of the alternate reality shows which seem to be more about how powerful the stupid mobile suits are. The emphasis on 15-16 year-old teen pilots doesn't help the alternate reality shows, either.

Bandai definitely mishandled the Gundam property in the US...
It was very stupid to start it off with one of the shinier series in the whole saga (Gundam Wing) instead of remaking the creakier-looking UC 0079 series. Original Gundam could have easily been done within 23-26 remake episode series instead of the original 43 episodes!

Then again, as someone who collected comics over 20+ years and saw multiple redoes of storylines, it's even more obvious that 80+% of the Gundam shows have been remakes of the original UC 0079 series and not really broken much if any new ground.

Gotta say I found the UC Gundam series with the number "8" in them the best of the whole lot plot- and character-wise. They also did "new things" in them, too.
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I wish I knew this before I could have saved that anime I loved
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
As a long-time fan of "Lupin the Third," I agree with your assessment, Justin... it's not what the average fan wants to see. The closest thing is Cowboy Bebop but even that took it to a new place with some semblance of continuity, attractive character designs, a clear ending, and often spectacular animation. "Lupin" looks weird, moves weird, and to those weaned on Naruto and its ilk... tastes weird.

"Lupin" will never be popular, short of a Bebop-esque "revolutionary" approach to the medium. While "Fujiko" deserves acclaim for trying to break the mould, it's largely thanks to being even closer to its source material, which still suffers from many of the same problems that plague its previous anime incarnations.

Again, great response, Justin. Couldn't be more behind your answer.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:39 am Reply with quote
Actually Japan does have a "liquidation" method that also saves face for the products being liquidated: the annual New Years grab bags! (Fukubukuro)

If you ever travel to japan around New Years you will see like every store selling large bags of random merchandise for fixed prices. Sometimes the bags might hold a really great item inside but for the most part they are filled with excess inventory for that year.

Go to akihabara and buy a fukubukuro and chances are very good you'll get a few unpopular nendroids and other anime merch.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
LTT: Lupin doesn't have to be popular, just a little more successful than in the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6