• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Field of Wings

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:18 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
@Dizzon. I'm a baseball fan(SF Giants fan for life.)

I don't understand your point, because your tangent made no sense at all.

Seriously? You couldn't follow my "tangent"? Well, I'm sorry, let me try again.

I love watching sports, but not all the time. Sometimes I need a break, and that's when I watch anime. So, if I'm watching anime as a break from watching sports, I sure as hell don't want to watch an anime about sports. For me it's the real thing or nothing at all because nothing else compares.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I love watching sports, but not all the time. Sometimes I need a break, and that's when I watch anime. So, if I'm watching anime as a break from watching sports, I sure as hell don't want to watch an anime about sports. For me it's the real thing or nothing at all because nothing else compares.

I'd argue that sports anime aren't really about the sports. When you watch something like, say, Big Windup, you're not watching a 9-inning baseball game. You're watching a team drama and a coming-of-age story. The dialogue between the pitcher and the catcher is not only about the sport, or strategies for each game, but a roadmap to their ever-changing relationship.

I need a break from kickin' ass all the time, but that doesn't mean I won't pop in a JCVD classic every now and again.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:
...if he will need the brainbleach, if it's that bad. Wink

Wait, I need brainbleach. Where can I obtain this miracle product?

It's sold by fine department stores everywhere. Unfortunately, most stock it right next to the you-know-what-ers, so anyone giving directions is reflexively asked to leave immediately.

Nice shelf pics, but 13 & 14 are currently showing/linked as 02 and 03 (can still get to them manually.)
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
ArthurFrDent wrote:
...if he will need the brainbleach, if it's that bad. Wink

Wait, I need brainbleach. Where can I obtain this miracle product?

It's sold by fine department stores everywhere. Unfortunately, most stock it right next to the you-know-what-ers, so anyone giving directions is reflexively asked to leave immediately.

Nice shelf pics, but 13 & 14 are currently showing/linked as 02 and 03 (can still get to them manually.)

Actually I always thought it was at your local package store, has a sticker that say "Dubra" on it. $10 a liter and you will black out, forget your name and half the English language for two days. Destroys your tastebuds too. Not sure if it's worth it.

Quote:
I'd argue that sports anime aren't really about the sports. When you watch something like, say, Big Windup, you're not watching a 9-inning baseball game. You're watching a team drama and a coming-of-age story. The dialogue between the pitcher and the catcher is not only about the sport, or strategies for each game, but a roadmap to their ever-changing relationship

This. I don't think I've watched any sports anime where the primary reason I was watching it was the sport o,o

Adachi's titles really push this point moreso than any other shows. If you can watch Cross Game or Touch and say that they're mostly about baseball ... something went straight over your head, and it has a giant sticker labeled "PLOT" on it.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:10 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

I'd argue that sports anime aren't really about the sports. When you watch something like, say, Big Windup, you're not watching a 9-inning baseball game. You're watching a team drama and a coming-of-age story. The dialogue between the pitcher and the catcher is not only about the sport, or strategies for each game, but a roadmap to their ever-changing relationship.

I need a break from kickin' ass all the time, but that doesn't mean I won't pop in a JCVD classic every now and again.

It's not the amount of sports but the sports theme in general I avoid when watching anime. I watch a ton of real sports and sometimes I want something different, something that doesn't remind me of sports, it's that simple.
TLight_10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 am Reply with quote
Pippin4242 wrote:
WOW. The Shelf Life collection is fantastic! That's pretty much my dream collection! Except I think a bunch of it can't be purchased in R2. But WOW!

Oh god I want to touch them.

- Pips

Haha, I'm glad you think I have good taste in series.

bglassbrook wrote:

Oh no! Not the Paprika poster! I had saved the best for last when organizing the pictures. Thanks for pointing this out.
For easy access:
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/41904/13.jpg
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/41904/14.jpg
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
Thanks for making me aware of Taisho Baseball Girls! I'm a sucker for anything set in the Meiji/Taisho eras so even though I'm not so keen on sports, I think I need to check this out. Shame it'll probably never be available in the UK...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Aaaand this latest DBZ box set reminds me e'ermore why I shall wait to buy the entirety of Kai instead; all the same fights, all the same foes, just shorter, sweeter, and more tightly animated.
As a last comment on that front: I agree with you about Hercule (or however you spell his stupid name). Videl is the only good thing that came out of his existence. She was truly a Badass Normal (even though she could fly later, she'll still "normal" compared to the super saiyan loonies in this 'verse that we all know and love. Or... hate?)

Might certainly check out Taisho Girls now, thanks to this. Historical pieces like this appeal to me as well.
Minatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
I love Taisho Baseball Girls. It's probably the first show I watched that takes place in the Taisho era, so I have to admit I know very little about that period in Japanese history (I'm more familiar with Meiji and Showa). So I really enjoyed the characters and plot, and getting a glimpse of what life may have been like back then.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote
Oh WOW dude-your anime collection is super underwhelming.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
dizzon wrote:
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

That's the point I was trying to make, when your watching a baseball anime, its not suppossed to be a 3 hour 9 inning game. You're suppossed to be watching it for the entertainment, the character development e.t.c not to be watching an actual baseball game.

Dizzon sounds like he was arguing sour grapes, bitching about something he knows little about.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Thanks for making me aware of Taisho Baseball Girls! I'm a sucker for anything set in the Meiji/Taisho eras so even though I'm not so keen on sports, I think I need to check this out. Shame it'll probably never be available in the UK...
It's not talked about, or used as a setting that often as it is the time when Imperialist Japan is starting to bloom and dominate the social, and political fabric of the nation, especially after it's "glorious defeat" of the Russian navy. It gave them the idea they could be a superpower in their own right. Now it's looked upon with "official shame". Wink
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
I was aware of Hikikomoris and NEETs because of Welcome to the NHK, but I'd never heard the term freeter before. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary and making me more aware of Japanese social issues, Erin!
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
I was aware of Hikikomoris and NEETs because of Welcome to the NHK, but I'd never heard the term freeter before. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary and making me more aware of Japanese social issues, Erin!
Did you miss out on the anime classic that is Golden Boy? "I'm Kintaro Oe, and I'm a freeter..."
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:53 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
I'm surprised on how Ms. Erin was oblvious to how baseball anime doesn't sell well. This is why Taisho Baseball Girl wasn't dubbed...

I know why it doesn't sell well. It's the eternal rivalry between jocks and nerds in America... like when there's a baseball game during Otakon and the nerds and sports fans eye each other on the street...

Not for us! We went to Otakon AND we went to the baseball game! Laughing

Nobody would dare eye us anyways. Wink

dizzon wrote:

It's amazing how many are fans of sports and fans of anime! Laughing

It can be difficult to watch scripted sports, even friends who are fans of scripted wrestling. Sometimes, real-life stories are even more inspirational than made-up stories. Razz

Echo_City wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:

Did you miss out on the anime classic that is Golden Boy? "I'm Kintaro Oe, and I'm a freeter..."

Unfortunately, a lot of young Japanese are becoming freeters, and in the long run, that'd hurt the Japanese economy. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3