• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List of Summer Season 2011 TV Anime in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to Ikoku Meiro no Crosisee and Mawaru Penguindrum, and Ro-Kyu-Bu! is looks far too adorable to pass on.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, nothing is jumping out for me either. Which actually works in my favor, because I can now finish up most everything from this season like Enma-kun and Moshidora.

I'm really disappointed at the lack of Panty and Stocking 2, and it makes me fear it may not be happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spoony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This is a nice season summary! Thanks for putting it together for us, ANN. ^^

I've been waiting for more Natsume Yuujinchou since the last season ended. If that was the only good show airing this whole season, I'd still be happy. =P

I also will definitely be checking out Usagi Drop since I'm a fan of the manga (or the first half of it, anyway). No. 6 sounds kind of cliche, but it's BONES and Noitamina so I'll watch at least a few eps and see how it goes. Not sure about the rest yet, I'll have to see the reviews.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll check out Blood-C, and maybe then Loli Basketball. I dion't remember the actual name of it, so we're not off to a roaring start.

But with the NBA lockout coming, it may be the only basketball I see for awhile.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
A majority of this season looks absolutely awful.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to Blood-C. Hopefully it'll be picked up for streaming, and if it's good and popular enough then eventually a DVD release.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
My mental organization is:

// I already know I'll like this
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
Manyū Hiken-chō

// I might like this:

Dantalian no Shoka
Kami-sama no Memo-chō
Ro-Kyu-Bu!
Usagi Drop
Echo_City

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
This does look pretty bad across the board. Well, I guess I'll have some free time this summer to catch up on all the old shows I haven't seen, and check out all the new dubs instead.

All of these shows feature thumbnails which feature lolis & moe up the wazoo, which is anathema to me, and they don't seem to have any merit per the preview text for me to get past the aspects I don't like.

I agree that Number 6 seems the most intriguing, though it's all but assured that it'll fall flat on its face.

Does it remind anyone else of The Prisoner?

"Who are you?"
"I am the new No. 2"
"Who is No. 1 ?"
"You are No. 6...."
boznia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
There's 5 that I want to see: the noitaminA shows are always worth checking out, Dantalion because of Gainax, Nura because I'm a fan of the manga, and Blood because I liked the previous incarnations and I like Clamp's character designs.

Others I might give a chance, simply because they look interesting: Ikoku Meiro no Croisée and Kami-sama no Memo-chō.

I'd probably try Natsume if I had the time and/or interest to watch the other seasons, but I don't. Still, 7 shows isn't bad for the summer season.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Slim pickens? Not so much...I'm finding more here worth checking out then from this spring season. So there. Wink

Let's list them, then:

-Uta no Prince-sama
-Sacred Seven
-No. 6
-Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi
-Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
-Dantalian no Shoka

And as a footnote, I'll be super surprised if any of these grab my love and attention like Tiger and Bunny did. But I feel they are all worth an episode or two Smile
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I really like the Summary and Analysis stuff you guys did. This is the kind of thing I like to see from the finest news source in anime. Seriously, it's awesome.

And now I shall be the voice of dissent. I think the summer season will be better than the spring! Put that in your bowl and smoke it. I counted 12 yes votes (compared to 11 yes votes in the spring) on 26 shows, along with 2 maybes and 2 sequels to shows I haven't finished yet. And the shows look to have much more potential than the those of the spring, as of the four spring shows I've been keeping up with (A Channel, Aria, Lotte, Enma-kun), A Channel is the best and it's only about a B to B+ range. There looks like some A- level shows in this batch, and the potential anime of the year in Usagi Drop.

My Watch list: (Or insidious Wall of Text)
Blade: Iron Man? Yawn. Wolverine and the rest of the X-men? Boring. But &#$%ing Blade? There is no way this can not be awesome. No way.
Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel: Yes, I saw the 2008 OVA. It was rather stupid, but it wasn't it bad. So I'll watch this for completeness sake, but I'm not too excited about it.
Kamisama Dolls: Wow, we might have an actual plot in this one. But there is one big warning flag. There is no anime trope more odious than that of the reluctant hero. The guy with superpowers that whines, 'I don't want to be awesome, I just want to live a normal life'. To a certain point, this is understandable, but we aren't watching this for teen angst, we want to see dudes with superpowers kick ass.
NO.6: It's by Bones, and they do good stuff. Science Fiction anime tends to suck, but it sounds like a bit of an intellectual thriller dystopia here. So I'll give it a spin and see if it hooks me.
Usagi Drop: I've heard people talking about how epic the story is. It sounds like a winner. We have a early favorite for best summer anime here, and it could challenge for best of 2011, if it lives up to it's potential.
Mayo Chiki!: Reverse Trap! Reverse Traps are not as epic as real Traps, but gender confusion is always good for comedy. The character designs are meh, and it will be see if the story can hold it's own. But I have a good feeling about it.
Dantalian no Shoka: Forbidden books of demonic wisdom? Oh hell yes! This sounds Lovecraftian in plot, and I think we have a winner here. I just hope they include the Necronomicon. Plus, I really liked Gakuto Mikumo other work, Asura Cryin’, so we have that going for me.
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée: Wow. Something different and original, and a drama/romance set it France? I like it already. I think we have another winner here.
Nurarihyon no Mago 2: Electric Boogaloo: Yuki Onna and her crazy eyes makes this show epic. And the plot of the first was pretty good. I am really looking forward the continuation.
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi: If there is one thing that the Japanese have perfected, it is the romantic comedy with vampires genre. And like any good pulp fiction story, it is both trashy and immensely enjoyable, and I think this show will be the same.
Mawaru PenguinDrum: This show is playing it mysterious, and even the promos I've seen don't show anything. But it has this feel of epicness surrounding it, and I am greatly intrigued.
Kami-sama no Memo-chou: It has a good mix of otaku fanservice and genuine plot, and I think this will be a winner in both worlds. I just hope the drug plotline doesn't go all afterschool special on us.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited about Bunny Drop. Although it's not perfect, I enjoy the manga.

I'm an old fuddy duddy who's just getting into watching anime online. Out of curiosity, when do sites like Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hulu, etc. generally start to announce which shows they will simulcast?
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Bunny Drop seems interesting as an antidote to the "This is a heartfelt story about childhood and growing up and also the main character takes her clothes off at the drop of a hat" anime we've been getting for years. It sort of reminds me of Kurenai but (presumably) the protagonist doesn't have a sword embedded in his arm.

While I liked Kurenai, it's nothing at all like it. It's more like Aishiteru ze Baby. Still very good IMO though. Certainly worth checking out.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Does it remind anyone else of The Prisoner?

"Who are you?"
"I am the new No. 2"
"Who is No. 1 ?"
"You are No. 6...."

You are not alone. I'm not sure why you're so certain it will "fall on its face," though. I'm ambivalent about it, myself. Honestly, the only thing I am probably guaranteed to try some of will be the third season of Natsume. Other than that...? Nothing's really jumping out at me right now. I do sometimes get surprised though.

Anyway, I'll be moving to where I can't stream the shows anyway, and I won't have much time, so it's probably for the best that I only have carry-overs from what I'm watching right now (i.e. Tiger & Bunny).
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Last season I saw seven shows that completely interested me. Now there's only 4 that I will definitively watch and two I'm curious about. Sad Is it me or is every new anime season getting weaker in quality?

++Four Definite++
Natsume Yuujinchou Season Three : The first two seasons were wonderful adaptations to the manga and I hope Crunchyroll will get this season as well.
No.6: Usually anything with Science Fiction is worth watching.
Bunny Drop: The manga was quite heart warming so I can't wait to see the anime. Very Happy
Blood-C: I like CLAMP; self-explanatory ~

++Two Curious++
Dantalian no Shoka and La croisée dans un labyrinthe étranger ...Maybe Kami-sama no Memo-chō since I loved Gosick so much...

BTW in the description for Kaitō Tenshi Twin Angel, they mentioned "this pachinko-game-based anime" in the description. For some reason, that reminds of a joke in the Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8