• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List of Summer Season 2011 TV Anime in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j123ready

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
*wistfully yearns for the days when anime as a whole was known for awesome sci-fi and giant robots instead of moeblob nonsense*

Truth is moe has always existed as a large part of anime, we just didn't have a name for it in the 80s and 90s. Think about it: Many Rumiko Takahashi titles, most of the Ghibli library, Sailor Moon along with all other magical girl series, Tenchi, Saber Marionette, Orange Road, Project A-KO, Gunbuster, and many other titles released outside of Japan along with hundreds that never were would all be called "moe" had they been released today. Moe isn't a new concept to anime, the label is.

And just like how many of those shows are truly awesome and have stood the test of time, a lot of the modern moe titles are just as good or better. Personally I enjoy moe now just as much as I did nearly 20 years ago.

Emerje

Well said, Emerje!
People don't realize that a lot of the anime with great and epic stories were moe.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote
defiantly will watch no matter what:
Ikoku Meiro no Croisée
Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi
Probably will watch to completion:
Natsume Yūjin-Chō San
Usagi Drop
Will give a try:
Blood-C
Dantalian no Shoka (why does this look like black hair gosick?)
Kamisama Dolls
Kami-sama no Memo-chō
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
well looking summer anime give only anime summer i'm looking to see is Manyuu Hikenchuu.

give only summer anime worth the check give seen 2 trailers so far & cast they got who might be a sleeper good to watch.

besides give idea main going with doobi power really what next?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
j123ready wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
*wistfully yearns for the days when anime as a whole was known for awesome sci-fi and giant robots instead of moeblob nonsense*

Truth is moe has always existed as a large part of anime, we just didn't have a name for it in the 80s and 90s. Think about it: Many Rumiko Takahashi titles, most of the Ghibli library, Sailor Moon along with all other magical girl series, Tenchi, Saber Marionette, Orange Road, Project A-KO, Gunbuster, and many other titles released outside of Japan along with hundreds that never were would all be called "moe" had they been released today. Moe isn't a new concept to anime, the label is.

And just like how many of those shows are truly awesome and have stood the test of time, a lot of the modern moe titles are just as good or better. Personally I enjoy moe now just as much as I did nearly 20 years ago.

Emerje

Well said, Emerje!
People don't realize that a lot of the anime with great and epic stories were moe.

But moe wasn't what made them great, unlike today. Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Emerje

That seems like a pretty semantic defence to me. I mean, if you're going to start telling me most Ghibli movies are moe then you're stretching that term nearly to the breaking point. Yeah, I suppose that many of them do contain certain elements that could invoke a moe reaction in fans. Even putting aside the issue of intent though, at best it's just certain parts in a much larger experience. Does that really make it a "moeblob anime"? I guess you could argue that it is, given that there isn't really any ironclad definition of when a show becomes moe. But then you're really just using a fallacious equivocation (your own very general definition to what others actually mean by moe).

I think what most people mean when they complain about an overabundance of moe shows is not merely a show with certain potentially moe elements but this new type of overbearing moe were moe is a genre unto itself, were moe cuteness is the be all, end all point of the show. This is pretty much new to the last decade or so.

(Also, regardless of the prevalence of moe, you can't possibly deny that while anime was once known for mecha and SciFi, these genres have withered away in recent years).
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, I am more than thrilled about Bunny Drop, because it's currently one of my favorite manga. But aside from that, only one or two others sound even remotely appealing. Why on earth do they keep cranking out the same freaking tripe, over and over again, when... oh, yeah, because people buy into it. *sighs* So I guess the blame for such a piss-poor line-up is once again on Japanese anime fans?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
j123ready wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Emerje

Well said, Emerje!
Yes, thank you for making me look at some of my favorite shows in a critical light now T3T

In all seriousness, thank you for the list. It made me reconsider my opinion that this "moe boom" started quasi-recently.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I think what most people mean when they complain about an overabundance of moe shows is not merely a show with certain potentially moe elements but this new type of overbearing moe were moe is a genre unto itself, were moe cuteness is the be all, end all point of the show. This is pretty much new to the last decade or so.

This is pretty much exactly what I meant. I guess if you really expand the concept of "moe" to its breaking point, you might be able to include some of the series that Emerje listed, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think I'd qualify any of those as falling into that category, at least not going by the general modern definition of the term. I mean, the majority of the Ghibli catalog are epic fantasies of some kind or other, and things like A-KO or Gunbuster are full-on action titles. There's a big difference between series that happen to have cute girls in them but have some general overall purpose, and series that are designed from the ground up to be "cute girls doing cute and/or somewhat creepy things" to the exclusion of pretty much anything else. The latter is what I see in spades when I look at this season listing, and as ikillchicken pointed out, it's a very modern phenomenon.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
That seems like a pretty semantic defence to me. I mean, if you're going to start telling me most Ghibli movies are moe then you're stretching that term nearly to the breaking point. Yeah, I suppose that many of them do contain certain elements that could invoke a moe reaction in fans. Even putting aside the issue of intent though, at best it's just certain parts in a much larger experience. Does that really make it a "moeblob anime"? I guess you could argue that it is, given that there isn't really any ironclad definition of when a show becomes moe. But then you're really just using a fallacious equivocation (your own very general definition to what others actually mean by moe).

"Semantic defence" isn't the problem, the definition is already pretty broken. Moe is supposed to be a feeling, a concept or idea. But words evolve and it now simply seems to mean shows about cute girls. If that's the measuring stick then it's easy to compare many different shows against it. Even if you consider moe and moeblob two different things examples of both still exist from before the word came into common practice.

Quote:

The big difference between the moe of this generation and the moe of the last is that companies found a way to sell it as a label and genre. The volume has changed, sure, but that's about it. The way I see it there's "moe" which is shows about cute girls doing things (harems, fighting wars, going on adventures, etc), and "moeblob" which is the "overbearing" moe you describe (cute girls being cute). I only see 3 or 4 shows this season that I would absolutely call moeblobs out of the 25 new shows.

Quote:
(Also, regardless of the prevalence of moe, you can't possibly deny that while anime was once known for mecha and SciFi, these genres have withered away in recent years).

Sure, but that's just how trends work. One day moe will be out and something else will be in. But just like moe still existed when giant robots were king, We do still have mecha shows today while moe is on top. In five years, who knows, maybe all we'll see is slapstick office comedies will be big, there'll still be moe and mecha around.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

Sure, but that's just how trends work. One day moe will be out and something else will be in. But just like moe still existed when giant robots were king, We do still have mecha shows today while moe is on top. In five years, who knows, maybe all we'll see is slapstick office comedies will be big, there'll still be moe and mecha around.

The Office?! Laughing
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
manyuu hikenchou for me to watch give cast & yet seeing those 2 trailers hmm wonder whoever came up with i salute ya for it.

but still hmm for rest maybe some eps picc, blog mention, forum, etc mention could try convince me to check them to watch.

but for now all in manyuu band wagon.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:47 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This is pretty much exactly what I meant. I guess if you really expand the concept of "moe" to its breaking point, you might be able to include some of the series that Emerje listed, but to be perfectly honest, I don't think I'd qualify any of those as falling into that category, at least not going by the general modern definition of the term.

It can be argued that it's not at it's breaking point that those shows are considered moe or having moe elements, but at it's purest form of evoking a feeling that they do. The modern definition is starting to include men now so I'd just as well we pull back the reigns on that before it starts getting too out of hand.

Quote:
I mean, the majority of the Ghibli catalog are epic fantasies of some kind or other,

Moe can't be epic fantasy? Just this coming season I see 4 moe titles listed as "fantasy", whether or not they're "epic" has yet to be seen.

Quote:
and things like A-KO or Gunbuster are full-on action titles.

And moe can't be "full-on action titles"? I don't even need to look for examples of that being wrong, which brings me to...

Quote:
There's a big difference between series that happen to have cute girls in them but have some general overall purpose, and series that are designed from the ground up to be "cute girls doing cute and/or somewhat creepy things" to the exclusion of pretty much anything else. The latter is what I see in spades when I look at this season listing, and as ikillchicken pointed out, it's a very modern phenomenon.

Seriously? The 90s was built on "sex sells". Have you seen what they wear in Gunbuster (compared to Daibuster)? Heck, it's a Gainax title, I shouldn't have to say more. And the ground work for Project A-KO is based on yuri relationships, that and comedy action are the selling points. If A-KO was made today they probably wouldn't change much and everyone would be calling it a moe title. Magical girl titles are also built on "cute girls", nothings changed there. Who's to say what the ground work for each modern moe title is, but like I said before, there's only 3 or 4 titles this coming season that absolutely look like moeblob titles built from the ground up to be about cute girls being cute. The rest like Kamisama Dolls and Blood-C seem to be much more story and action oriented with moe just being used a tool, not a driving force. And really, tool or driving force seems like the easiest way to divide moe and moeblob.

enurtsol wrote:
Emerje wrote:

The Office?! Laughing

The Japanese are an unpredictable lot, you never know!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:05 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Even if you consider moe and moeblob two different things examples of both still exist from before the word came into common practice.

Okay...such as? You've provided some examples of potentially moe shows (moe being the very lose definition) but none of those you mentioned come close to being "moeblob" (moeblob being Top Gun's more specific definition).

Quote:
The volume has changed, sure, but that's about it. The way I see it there's "moe" which is shows about cute girls doing things (harems, fighting wars, going on adventures, etc), and "moeblob" which is the "overbearing" moe you describe (cute girls being cute). I only see 3 or 4 shows this season that I would absolutely call moeblobs out of the 25 new shows.

True but then I think you're being too strict. 3-4 shows is a whole lot of one very specific type. I mean, do you see that many of any other specific type of show? Plus, there are also another dozen shows which while admittedly not "moe only", do indeed heavily incorporate moe as a core element. I don't know if you want to call those moeblob or not but clearly these are still shows that heavily utilize moe. (Vastly more so than any of your examples). Where as I count a total of three Scifi shows of any type and one of those itself looks to be heavily moe (and another looks like a generic kid's show).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
Something interesting about what will most likely be the top-selling series for spring: of what will most likely be the top 5 (T&B, AnoHana, Steins Gate, Azazel and Blue Exorcist), there is only one title that could be deemed 'moe', which is AnoHana, and even that relies on a decent narrative couples with some drama and isn't just typical slice-of-life.

Could that be a sign that the Japanese are growing a bit weary of SoL moe shows? Possibly, though I think it's interesting in particular that Azazel is selling as well as it is. I don't recall dark/perverted comedy ever selling well at all.

I suppose that's enough of that tangent. I'm looking forward to Ikuhara's Mawaru Penguindrum because of Ikuhara along with it being done by Brains Base. Also looking forward to Usagi Drop because I've heard good things about the manga, it's Noitamina, and I quite enjoyed Aishiteruze Baby. Lastly I'm looking forward to Ikoku Meiro no Croisee because it's being done by the director of Shugo Chara along with Junichi Sato writing, which for me can only be a winning combination. Satelight's visuals are usually impressive as well.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:26 am Reply with quote
I just watched the 30 second trailer of Yuruyuri and it caused me an unending holocaust of pain!
They didn´t even make out!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8