• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
4KrapSucks wrote:
I hate Viz sooo much! Twisted Evil

What I want to know is if there's any localization company you don't hate.

ummm...Disney I don't hate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I will only continue to hate FUNimation if they don't release Shin-chan uncut. I didn't used to hate ADV until Ghost Stories.

Really? Did you notice that Castle in the Sky had references to Gulliver's Travels and another book taken out of the dub? Or that the DVD for Neko no Ongaishi/The Cat Returns only has "dubtitles", which is a problem considering some of their changes in the dub? Or the replacement of Japanese songs with English songs in Kiki?

Note: For the most part, I like Disney's adaptions fine (the only one that really angers me is the changes to 'The Cat Returns', which wouldn't be a problem at all if they had real subtitles). I'm just using this as an example that *no* company has a perfect record--to discount ALL Funimation, Viz's or ADV's attempts because of choices they made on ONE series is a little harsh, I think...and, also, probably means you'll never like *any* localization company.

(Viz's excuses in the article seem a bit lame, though...they'r ejust...repeating things that've been said, they're saying nothing new.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
4KrapSucks wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
4KrapSucks wrote:
I hate Viz sooo much! Twisted Evil

What I want to know is if there's any localization company you don't hate.

ummm...Disney I don't hate. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I will only continue to hate FUNimation if they don't release Shin-chan uncut. I didn't used to hate ADV until Ghost Stories.

Really? Did you notice that Castle in the Sky had references to Gulliver's Travels and another book taken out of the dub? Or that the DVD for Neko no Ongaishi/The Cat Returns only has "dubtitles", which is a problem considering some of their changes in the dub? Or the replacement of Japanese songs with English songs in Kiki?

Note: For the most part, I like Disney's adaptions fine (the only one that really angers me is the changes to 'The Cat Returns', which wouldn't be a problem at all if they had real subtitles). I'm just using this as an example that *no* company has a perfect record--to discount ALL Funimation, Viz's or ADV's attempts because of choices they made on ONE series is a little harsh, I think...and, also, probably means you'll never like *any* localization company.

(Viz's excuses in the article seem a bit lame, though...they'r ejust...repeating things that've been said, they're saying nothing new.)

Oh...well I guess I don't like Disney anymore. umm... Media Blasters I dont hate! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InuyashaMilk1717

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Viz can kiss the fatest part of my ass.

From now on, I'm never buying anything from them. I'll buy the rest of Rurouni Kenshin used off ebay. If there is any thing else from them I must have, I'll buy it used or import it. I'm importing the rest of FMA, I don't care if I don't know Japanese. I'm learning it now. Look at at the manga Viz has edited, it's unacceptable.
4KrapSucks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:05 pm Reply with quote
InuyashaMilk1717 wrote:

From now on, I'm never buying anything from them. I'll buy the rest of Rurouni Kenshin used off ebay. If there is any thing else from them I must have, I'll buy it used or import it. I'm importing the rest of FMA, I don't care if I don't know Japanese. I'm learning it now. Look at at the manga Viz has edited, it's unacceptable.

You go! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
InuyashaMilk1717 wrote:

You go! Wink
Yeah, you go to Japan where you'll never have to complain about edited manga and anime ever again. Wink
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
]Yeah, you go to Japan where you'll never have to complain about edited manga and anime ever again. Wink
Expect for hentai which is still censored in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
]Yeah, you go to Japan where you'll never have to complain about edited manga and anime ever again. Wink
Expect for hentai which is still censored in Japan.

In fact, it gets uncensored when it comes here. Anime hyper

Although, really, he's got a right to his opinion, it's kinda weird to say "You either have to accept everything the way it is or move!" But...there's not a single localizer here in the states that hasn't changed one single anime or manga. There's always going to be one edit, or a joke that wouldn't translate, etc etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if things were changed when american shows go over to Japan, for that matter. It's just the nature of the beast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
InuyashaMilk1717 wrote:

Y'know people are going to say you're just a whiney otaku, and maybe you are. But I can't help but agree.

Something I learned recently is this fact, "Americans are accepting more and more crap." It's sad, pathetic, and absolutely true.

I do not agree with ANY edit in any manga by any company. I find it QUITE hypocritical that Viz can make this kind of edit; one that they thought would upset those who are very religious, yet they still can license and release a series like Death Note which has a high school boy running around CALLING HIMSELF GOD and killing people. If anyone knows anything about the Bible, that is breaking two commandments right there. The first and most important, "You shall not have any other gods beside me" or whatnot and obviously, "Don't kill people". A tad hypocritical, yes? If they were really concerned about offending someone, then they wouldn't not license Death Note.

And they really aren't concerned about offending anyone. If everyone remembers, Del Rey polled fans to ask them if they wanted censored Negima, to which everybody responded, "Uhm. No." Which shows that, zOMGsurprise!, fans do not want edited manga. If Viz had any sympathy for their fans, they would release unedited manga and just rate them for a higher audience.

And good for you. If you do not want crap, DO NOT BUY IT. Do NOT support it in any way. This is what I did with Prince of Tennis. I did not simply stop buying the series, no. I bought the Japanese version and I'm already up to volume 11.

You do NOT have to put up with crap. Too many people are sitting back and accepting crap and this is just sad.
Mini_Alquemist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Cave wrote:
Y'know people are going to say you're just a whiney otaku, and maybe you are.

Yup, I agree with that Rolling Eyes
Zrana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't care much about this visual edit.

I'm more upset about the inconsistancies of Volume 9.

Was the editor asleep for this??

Volume 8 they had "Ling" and in volume 9 we get "Lin." Not once, but always. (Even though the BG art of the creator has "Ling" in the exact same panal.)

We also get Jan instead of Jean. (It's French and does not rhyme with those denim things people wear, for those who don't know.)

Liza instead of Riza.

We have Ed saying to Al, "Geez Ed, you scared me." Yes, Ed is either talking to himself, or forgot his brother's name.

A brigadier general became a commadore.

One or two errors can happen.

BUT THIS DAMN MANY AT ONCE?

Get Egan Loo back as series consultant, there were never this many errors when he was in the credits page.
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
well, i don't read FMA, but if any publisher edits one of my collection, what i do usually is to discontinue buying that serries and get the rest from scanlations.
I don't tolerate cencorship, no matter how small it is.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Only because you don't know what it looked like when the manga-ka handed it to his editor...

Manga editing & censorship happens in Japan too.

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote
4KrapSucks wrote:
Oh...well I guess I don't like Disney anymore. umm... Media Blasters I don't hate! Razz

Their original release of Kite was heavily edited (and heavily improved as a result IMHO).

Their "unedited" release of Kite still had one edit.

-t
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
4KrapSucks wrote:
Oh...well I guess I don't like Disney anymore. umm... Media Blasters I don't hate! Razz

Their original release of Kite was heavily edited (and heavily improved as a result IMHO).

Their "unedited" release of Kite still had one edit.

-t

I thought their most recent "Special Edition" version of Kite was completely uncut Confused.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We asked Viz what reactions they'd seen. "Most of the feedback we are getting on this particular issue is that considering it does not change the story, and it is so minimal, it's not an issue," a Viz spokesperson said. "Most respect the choices and approvals made by the creator as well as understand that the audience varies in different countries."

So, basically, "La, la, la, la la". Dammit, our government is starting to rub off on our entertainment industry.

Quote:

All it would take is some fundie like James Dobson to raise holy hell about the FMA crucifiction scene and manga could very well be endangered in this country. It doesn't matter if they don't read it, it matters that they get some visual of this supposed blasmpehmy against them then they get up all in arms.

I mean seriously do any of you not understand that fundies are the most ignorant people on the earth and are sheep to their ignorant pastors?

Of course, but since they don't read the manga anyways, what impact could they possibly have on sales? Those that do read FMA know what idiots those guys are and not to listen to a word they say.

Quote:
\I was recently reading a journal about a supernova that occured 4.5 billion years ago. Of course it was so far away that the light from the explosion has only now recently reached us. Interesting enough, most supernovas exibit Gamma ray bursts that will usually last less than a minute. But this one was different. It had a massive gamma radiation release, it lasted 33 minutes. It released enough radiation to not only destroy all life in the galaxy in which the star once stood(about 300,000 light years), but enough to destroy all life in all of its surrounding galaxies(millions of light years). Now there is of course no way to know if any life was actually terminated during this massive display of nature. But no force could ever stop this brutal assault. One can only assume that among the millions of solar systems that were doused with this extremly hot massive radiation, that in Sagan's words, "Statistically life is probable". But atleast in that part of our little Universe, it is fairly certain there is none, or was none, or is starting over. We don't know.

One thing is for sure, there is only one way we would ever be able to stop something like that from happening in a galaxy near us. And it has nothing to do with grey matter.

What are you even talking about? Everybody knows the universe is only 6000 years old.

Quote:
Yeah, you go to Japan where you'll never have to complain about edited manga and anime ever again. Wink

That seems an awefully long way to go for an Internet connection. We get the Internets right here in Maryland.

Quote:

Although, really, he's got a right to his opinion, it's kinda weird to say "You either have to accept everything the way it is or move!" But...there's not a single localizer here in the states that hasn't changed one single anime or manga. There's always going to be one edit, or a joke that wouldn't translate, etc etc etc. I wouldn't be surprised if things were changed when american shows go over to Japan, for that matter. It's just the nature of the beast.

There are plenty of localizers that don't make such changes to the books they work on. They just don't charge for their services.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 27