• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Beyond the Boundary Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
It's a pretty mediocre show. What bugs me probably the most is how bland the action scenes feel. The budget and animation quality is there, but the direction is just so lame I can't enjoy it beyond thinking, "Yes, that blood sword sure is flashy and fluid". Well, that and I can't stand any of the characters. When they're not being deadly serious, everything that ever happens seems to be an awful joke. I didn't laugh at a lot of Chuunibyou, but I at least could understand how the comedy was well written and made sense with the characters. Here it just feels forced: more like a series of jokes than the characters interacting in amusing ways.

Melanchthon wrote:
Kyoukai no Kanata may be one of the better shows this season

Really? I think Kyousougiga, Kill la Kill, Nagi no Asukara, Gingitsune, Non Non Biyori, Teekyuu, Samurai Flamenco, Log Horizon, Pokémon XY, Yowamushi Pedal, White Album 2, Golden Time, Galilei Galileo, Outbreak Company, Ace of Diamond, Yuushibu and Kuroko's Basketball are all better than KnK.

Megiddo wrote:
But she does exhibit those signs. She constantly turns down invitation to join the literature club. She is obviously fearful of killing another youmu. She was thinking of killing herself at the start of the show. She has serious issues.

Tara Gilesbie wrote:
Evony isn’t a Marie Sue ok she isn’t perfect she's A SATANITS! n she has problemz she's depressed 4 godz sake!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also think this show is pretty mediocre. I mean, the premise is interesting and the PVs caught my attention but the overall execution along with the character interactions imo is just way too blend. I don't have a single favorite character from this show as I find all of them lack characterization. Oh well, I think I will finish this but definitely something I'll likely forget this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I love the fight scenes in this show, but I can't stand anything else. It's just so, well... KyoAni.

Anyone know how many episodes this is supposed to be? Because it seems like it's just now getting into actual plot.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Because it seems like it's just now getting into actual plot.

You do understand that the entire backstory of Mirai and the Hollow Shadow is pivotal to her character, and that at the same time seeing the extent of Akihito's youmu half was also crucial, right? I mean, you do realize that they were part of 'the plot' as well?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Dropped this at episode 4. Not horrible but nothing special either and not worth watching during a busy fall season.

I can't believe this has already been licensed yet better shows like Free! and especially the brilliant Hyouka remain unlicensed.

It is like my feelings for Kyoani shows and the licensing companies feelings do not match at all.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
The overwhelmingly negative response to this show continues to boggle my mind. It looks gorgeous. The fights are amazing. Some of the best I've seen out of TV anime in years. The show has a pretty great sense of humor (especially visual humor thanks to its production values). The characters are a ton of fun and the writing is really strong particularly in regards to said characters. Granted, it never completely escapes its LN roots. It's a pretty conventional premise, there are some hiccups in the world building early on, and there are certainly still some otaku tropes lurking in the background (Although none that are overdone to the point of becoming obnoxious I think). But...isn't that the kind of crap you people normally like!? (Or at least tolerate?) I mean, I've seen tons of shows way worse in all these regards get a much better reception. Just bizarre.

Megiddo wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Maybe I'm not understanding something here, but how does her being adorable erase any sort of emotional weight to her?

Judging solely by what was written in the review (as I haven't seen the show yet and have no intention of doing so), I think he means that when Bad Things happen to you, they leave scars behind, whether they are physical, psychological, or both. But if the character doesn't exhibit any sign of having gone through those experiences, it creates an inconsistency that is hard to get past.

But she does exhibit those signs. She constantly turns down invitation to join the literature club. She is obviously fearful of killing another youmu. She was thinking of killing herself at the start of the show. She has serious issues. It wasn't all that hard to see that if anyone bothered to pay a little attention to the show.

Yeah, agreed. This criticism is complete nonsense. Mirai is adorable. No doubt there. But not in a way that at all contradicts her past. She's not overly hyper or excessively happy or positive. She's pretty consistently sombre and tries to isolate herself and only starts to open up a bit more after she bonds with Aki during the big fight. And the statement that he and Mirai don't share any chemistry together...just mind boggling. I think they've got great chemistry. Their interactions are really fun and the quality of the visuals really brings it to life. And the eventual revelation that they're actually quite similar totally backs up that connection and reveals that there's a lot more to it than simply another case of female lead + male lead = automatic connection.
SthRandom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I thought the series was okay. Nothing extraordinary but good enough as a means to procrastinate in my college stud- I mean... yeah. I guess the biggest problem is that it cannot decide whether it's a slice of life comedy or a dark fantasy, which makes certain things feel kinda out of place. Though it does deliver intense moments here and there. The latest episode wasn't bad, imo.

Also... fuiukai desu.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The overwhelmingly negative response to this show continues to boggle my mind.

I think it's mostly backlash to the series complete failure to live up to its potential. There was room to explore some interesting ideas about self-acceptance, with Mirai, Akihito, and Sakura's character arcs. There was possibilty for an intricate and unique fantasy universe. There was potential for KyoAni to actually do something ambitious again. All of that however, just gets brushed aside for whacky Light Novel hijinks and Shounen Jump-style conflict resolution.

The show's weird dichotomy between silly comedy and weighty fantasy just doesn't work, either. The characters aren't complex enough to be compelling and the themes aren't explored enough to mean anything.

Not that it isn't fun to watch, but it really fell short of actually being more than really pretty popcorn entertainment. Which is a shame because this show is really pretty. It's not that it's a bad story per se, but it definitely could have been better. And I think that is way more disappointing than just being straight-up bad.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
All of that however, just gets brushed aside for whacky Light Novel hijinks and Shounen Jump-style conflict resolution.

There has been only one particular conflict resolution as far as I can remember, but can you elaborate more on what you mean by this? What is a Shounen Jump-style conflict resolution? And how did what Kyoukai no Kanata resolved make you think of it as such?
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I can't believe this has already been licensed yet better shows like Free! and especially the brilliant Hyouka remain unlicensed.

It is like my feelings for Kyoani shows and the licensing companies feelings do not match at all.

The international rights for this show (as well as Chuunibyou and Tamako Market) are held by TBS, which has a very very very very good relationship with Sentai Filmworks. If TBS has rights to a show, 99% of the time it'll go to Sentai, especially prior to airing.

The international rights to Hyouka are held by Kadokawa Shoten, which haven't been very forthcoming with licenses to the West over the past two years. The home video releases just finished in April this year and a potential BD-Box is likely coming next year (following Kadokawa's patten on these BD-Boxes), so it's unlikely it could be solicited either.

Finally, the international rights for Free! are held by Asahi Broadcasting, which hasn't held many rights to anime shows in the past, so it'll take longer for NA companies to negotiate a release. Not to mention it's also a sports show and that genre has done poorly in NA previously.

Since the three shows have rights held by different companies, it's not simply a matter of "this show is worse/better than others."
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There has been only one particular conflict resolution as far as I can remember, but can you elaborate more on what you mean by this? What is a Shounen Jump-style conflict resolution? And how did what Kyoukai no Kanata resolved make you think of it as such?

It's the term I attribute to a certain kind of conflict resolution that basically amounts to "emotion conquers logic... because reasons." The hero overcomes ungodly injury by sheer determination, the power of loves bends the established laws of reality, happy feelings win the day because,well, that's what the audience expects. It certainly can be fun and exciting, but I wouldn't call it particularly adept storytelling.

Mirai spoiler[suppresses Akihito's berserk youmu half by hugging him. That's pretty much as "power of love/friendship" as conflict resolution gets.] Which I would totally accept if the show did a better job of establishing their relationship, or even the nature of Akihito's powers. It's a crisis that appears from basically nowhere and is resolved just as quickly.

The conflict with Sakura has an even more dumfounding resolution. spoiler[I really thought they were gonna go somewhere with the "I won't let you stain your hands like I did" thing, but then it just kinda ends up being "You're not special enough, so I'll be special for you. Best friends forever!"] Which is not only pretty contrived, but makes basically much zero logical sense.

Kyoukai no Kanata has a lot of good ideas, but doesn't know what to do with them. So conflicts are simply brought up, resolved and seemingly forgotten without any concrete thematic thread tying them together.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so you didn't notice that she was covered in her corrosive blood and the melting sounds when she did hug Akihito?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
The overwhelmingly negative response to this show continues to boggle my mind. It looks gorgeous. The fights are amazing. Some of the best I've seen out of TV anime in years. The show has a pretty great sense of humor (especially visual humor thanks to its production values). The characters are a ton of fun and the writing is really strong particularly in regards to said characters. Granted, it never completely escapes its LN roots. It's a pretty conventional premise, there are some hiccups in the world building early on, and there are certainly still some otaku tropes lurking in the background (Although none that are overdone to the point of becoming obnoxious I think). But...isn't that the kind of crap you people normally like!? (Or at least tolerate?) I mean, I've seen tons of shows way worse in all these regards get a much better reception. Just bizarre.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, it's not the best show ever or anything, but it certainly doesn't deserve, imo, the kind of slandering that Carl and many people are giving it. The story and world-building may be wobbly at times (the episode with spoiler[Sakura's 180 turn] reached a particular low in cliched plot contrivances and overdoing jokes), but the characters have so far been very fun and interesting to watch. To say that there's no chemistry between Mirai and Akihito is like saying you're not watching the show at all. Seriously, episode 4 was [expletive] beautiful in the level of understanding and bonding between the two leads.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Of the eight series that I am currently following, BtB is my lowest-priority view by quite a bit; it's the first series that comes available in each weekly cycle but often the last one I get around to watching. Although it still somewhat entertains me, I just can't get enthusiastic about anything beyond the visuals, and for pretty much the reasons that Carl mentions. Too much of what it tries to do - whether comedy or drama - just falls flat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musouka

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Saying a mediocre show is, well, mediocre is not being too harsh or overly critical. For some, the show obviously works as intended. For most, it clearly doesn't.

Me, I just wish the dialogue didn't make me cringe every thirty seconds. I'd listen to KENN read the phonebook, but one-dimensional, consistent blathering about glasses is enough to try even my tendency to be forgiving.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7