• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:

I can only hope you'll be right. That is true, that younger generations are growing up on anime and other cartoons, and that leads to hope that they'll still appreciate animation when they're older. However, there have always been US cartoons that had depth before the influence of anime- when I was growing up, I was amazed by Disney's "Gargoyles," and also by "Might Max" (ironically, a show developed to sell toys, but it was way more than that). If you go even further back, as cheesy as it was, the writers of "Jem" put a lot of serious issues and adult themes into the show before it was cancelled due to poor toy sales. So, these shows with some amount of depth have existed, but did not really effect the mainstream's view of animation.

I suppose when older, stubborn generations die off, the younger crowd who possibly watched more animation past their childhood (than previous generations) may open up a new, wider appreciation for animation as a medium. Unfortunately, for reasons that I don't follow, most people tend to grow out of what they liked when they were younger, and thus, that former interest becomes "childish."

Yeah, there's actually quite a few 'mature' cartoons that came out before anime that was popular...I never watched Gargoyles (although I really probably should), but I did watch the old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon as a kid (the SatAM one), and that was similar to what I'm talking about in terms of character development being as central to the series as the action was. (It's a shame it was canceled so early...)
And, of course, if you go REALLY far back into animation's history, you'll come up with things like Looney Tunes and Betty Boop, which were meant for adults as much as children (or in Betty's case, not at all for children), but are actually only considered to be for children NOW because of the way cartoons are percieved.

I'm just hoping that I'm right on this, too. ^^; I *think* I am--comic books, fantasy, and video games are becoming more and more accepted as both adult and children entertainment, so I'm hoping the same will happen for animation. (I'm certainly going to do my best to see it happen! Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Swish1975

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
If there's one thing, in my opinion, that's declined in terms of anime, it's the visual appearance of shows, but I think prefering the mid-90's art styles is more of an aesthic thing than anything else.

My evidence for this is the first and second halves of Inuyasha. The first half looked nice and fluffy. The second, not so much.

Inuyasha switched from traditional animation at first to being computer animated in the middle of its run. That probably accounts for the difference in art style that you noticed.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I like Two and a Half Men...

Anyway, great article as always. I usually don't read the rants, though, (and this time was no different), because I'd rather go over things in my own mind than read what someone else says about something that is completely irrelevant to me...

But in any case, good to see you back with the weekly article, Zac!
starcade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:59 pm Reply with quote
YouTube: Gonna have to get shut down, I'm afraid. (And I felt this since I saw the entire fansubbed FMP:2R series (INCLUDING the OVA!!!) on it...) It does appear that it really has gotten to the point that the anime companies (if no one else -- say, WWE for all the wrestling stuff) will have to sic the legal-eagles on it.

Quality Anime: A question of taste and nothing more. I've been somewhat disappointed with the recent screening offerings at anime cons, but that's a matter of taste. I have heard, as an example for me, that comedy anime has taken quite a bit of a back seat recently.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:21 am Reply with quote
Well, thoughts on two things.

First, on YouTube. I think they should have better ways for users and companies to report illegal material. You have to have all these documents to prove you're the copyright holder to have it removed. The only thing users can do is flag a video as "offensive" and hope that does something.

But I saw an article on Yahoo News today, saying that unless an agreement is reached by the end of the month, Universal Music Group will be filing a lawsuit against YouTube for copyright infringement for uploading of their artists music videos for tens of millions of dollars. They mentioned some of the offending videos of people lip-synching to copyrighted songs and clips from movies and shows. So whether by choice or by lawsuit, it looks like not only things like entire anime series will be shut down, but AMV's and other things as well.

And secondly, on the Rant..

I would love to see more diversity of anime on TV. I'd love to see Magic Knight Rayearth televised, because it could have the potential to be as big as Sailor Moon. But unfortunatly, there's a thing called demographics. It seems Cartoon Network thrives on catering to their demographics. For Adult Swim, the demographic is young men somewhere around 17 - 30 years old (my numbers are probably incorrect, but it's somewhere around there). While there are some otaku in that demographic who love anime variety and quality show, most of the men in that bracket would prefer potty humor and action.

Women may be dominating the manga-buying targets, but for some reason us girls don't have much strength when it comes to television.
[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:03 am Reply with quote
Kiyoko wrote:
Women may be dominating the manga-buying targets, but for some reason us girls don't have much strength when it comes to television.
[/url]

I have never really understood why we are the "unimportant" demographic in television (in general, not just anime) when, I think - don't have proof- but THINK, there are studies that show women have the household buying power.

And by "unimportant", I'm talking as compared to the 18-35 male group and the 10-17 kids groups.

And the shojo anime on [as] doesn't have to be Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura, it could be anime like Azumanga Daioh (I just bought this and haven't watched yet so I don't know how well it would fit), Full Metal Panic!, Ceres, Blue Seed, DNAngel, My-Hime, Scrapped Princess, and Martian Successor Nadesico would be good choices as well. I thought about Marmalade Boy but the "older" style of animation might not appeal to a lot of people.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:38 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
And the shojo anime on [as] doesn't have to be Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura, it could be anime like Azumanga Daioh (I just bought this and haven't watched yet so I don't know how well it would fit), Full Metal Panic!, Ceres, Blue Seed, DNAngel, My-Hime, Scrapped Princess, and Martian Successor Nadesico would be good choices as well. I thought about Marmalade Boy but the "older" style of animation might not appeal to a lot of people.

Except for possibly Ceres and Marmalade Boy I don't think any of those shows qualify as shoujo.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote
Maybe they should show shows that "bridge" between the action packed and some other genre. My-Hime might do justice since has action scenes with badass girls with powers combined with some cute comedy, and I know there are girls out there who would like to see that (and doesn't like the regular guy like to see badass girls, or am I being delusional and uninformed?).
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Except for possibly Ceres and Marmalade Boy I don't think any of those shows qualify as shoujo.

What I was trying to say is that the titles I mentioned have a broader appeal to a larger demographic than some of what is appearing on [as] right now.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
I personally think that Bravo should air the dubbed Paradise Kiss, and put it on right after Project Runway, since they are both about fashion. Also, they both appeal to women and gay men, which is Bravo's target audience. And I love both shows Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
^^; No, the ranter is just stating that while it seems like anime has become mainstream, the only part of it that's mainstream at all is action/shonen titles. He's daring broadcasters to show shojo and drama series.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Wasn't Sailor Moon, and Card Captor Sakura Shoujo?

So was Fruits Basket.
Jadress, when you're saying mainstream, are you talking about Saturday morning shows, or are you including [AS]?
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, you know what's funny though? These days I've thinking that if I could have what I want on Adult Swim I would have Blood+ and Gankutsuou. I'm interested in them, but not quite sure if they're worthy (by my standards) to invest in collecting them. They're both "Action" shows as well. I don't know, I guess that's what mostly appeals to many fans.

Anime is action, American adult cartoons are comedy at least that's how it usually works on Adult Swim as he said. Shin Chan and (Super) Milk Chan (funny the -chan's, ne?) are the only Japanese "comedy" shows that have been on the lineup. Although, I don't know how well they have been received. Milk Chan not so good from what I remember, and I read mostly negative comments on both. They're just cheap laughs of course. A good romantic-comedy anime would be quite refreshing on Adult Swim. Although, personally I don't think the Genshiken is a good anime to be shown. It's appeal is mostly to those of us who watch anime as a hobby, and the anime does not come to par with the manga (my opinon).

But, this Suzumiya Haruhi everyone talks about with be an interesting choice. Wait... now that I think about it FLCL was another anime comedy shown on AS.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
FLCL had a fair bit of mech action in it as well, though.

It's really too bad they didn't show Cromartie High School on [as]. I've always thought while watching it "This would make a great adult swim show". Fullmetal Panic would also be a good 'bridge' show--plenty of action, but some great romantic comedy moments in there, too.

(oh, and, BTW--DNAngel is totally shoujo. Anime hyper It's a show about a bishie who transforms into another bishie when he has feelings of love and steals art that is often posessed by the spirits of beautiful maidens. It's not quite to Princess Tutu levels of girliness, but it's up there.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Jadress wrote:
^^; No, the ranter is just stating that while it seems like anime has become mainstream, the only part of it that's mainstream at all is action/shonen titles. He's daring broadcasters to show shojo and drama series.

Mohawk52 wrote:
Wasn't Sailor Moon, and Card Captor Sakura Shoujo?

So was Fruits Basket.
Jadress, when you're saying mainstream, are you talking about Saturday morning shows, or are you including [AS]?

Let me rephrase, I meant to say that the ranter was daring to broadcast non-action oriented anime, as action and kiddie stuff is all the mainstream is familiar with. And by mainstream, yes I mean saturday morning, AS, anything. To me, if something is mainstream, it means even any given random soccer mom in her 40's has heard of it.. basically a general public knowledge. And since when has Fruits Basket been on TV? Is this that Funimation channel that no one gets?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kizoku

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Comments on two subjects: first, the past was always a golden age for everything. One of my daughters commented that 60's rock was really great. No, having lived through it I can say most of it was dreck. The thing is, no one ever remembers the really bad stuff -- by definition -- it was bad. Second, a quote I heard nearly 30 years ago, and still true, is that anytime Hollywood has a new idea, everyone gets together and beats it to death. Until all of the viewers are totally sick of something you won't see anything new. I just hope the anime then will be what I like; the good stuff. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6