• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Poop on a Platter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Hollywood must have had money on trees to have the creative freedom over Dragonball Franchise, I mean that Dragonball to fudge up the movie that bad. I was already aware that Japanese licensing was expensive and hard to get.

On a side note that's a fitting picture.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And there's always the nagging suspicion that if they put English on their discs, American publishers would be less interested in buying the rights

How interesting a proposal. So the western market is too small and piddly to be of any concern, in general, other than as a source of reverse importation and lengthening the tail. However, the potential impact to minimum fees from the companies looking to license the properties for sale to us is an issue? Sounds more like just not wanting to put-up with the hassle, regardless of future contractual concerns.
Mr Adventure wrote:
I've always been curious about the English Subtitle thing, because I've always assumed that Japan has a sizable English population due to it having American military bases. You'd think that would be a market to tap into.

I would think that market to be far more likely to understand it in the original language and not need the subs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:32 am Reply with quote
Having had this conversation with AIC back in the day, their attitude toward subtitling their discs before overseas licensing was, "We just can't be arsed", or " we can not see any advantage to doing that", being blissfully ignorant to the fact that fansub sites were ripping and subbing and show free of charge virtually everything they were trying to sell, and then living in denial when I flagged it up to them. The excuse of not being able to read and write English enough to do a good job with subbing is a pretentious and lame one. There are plenty of foreign English speaking students and teachers that are freelancing in Japan who would jump at the chance of extra money for booze and rent. If anything it is probably more the case that the English speaker's Japanese isn't up to scratch to translate correctly.
FCan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
I find it horribly difficult to believe that there are people that liked the 4Kids dub over the FUNimation dub.
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Isn't One Piece now airing Toonami now?
FCan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:14 am Reply with quote
Yes it is, and much to the dismay of 4Kids fanboys they don't get the dub they want.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a canonical list of Japanese-released Blu-rays that *do* have subtitles? I know all the Ghibli DVDs do/did (and sometimes dub tracks too, IIRC!), and I presume their Blu-ray releases do too but I haven't looked specifically. Occasionally when I'm browsing Amazon Japan I'll check for subs in the technical details, but it would be great to have a relatively up-to-date list.

While not just limited to English subbed releases, this website has a lot of info about anime and asian blu ray releases from different regions. http://www.asianblurayguide.com/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
The Answerman wrote:

It's all over the place. You could probably get remake rights to an indie

Or do what the Japanese do, and don't ask permission for the small things. It's not like Japan is gonna do anything.

Clyde_Cash wrote:

And fudge the FCC! They're an unconstitutional body that violates the First Amendment! They have no right to crack down on such content and they never will.

Fight the FCC in the courts, not on TV, since the broadcast networks won't side with you (they're there to make money, not fight battles or lawsuits).

the_seventh_l wrote:

You must not have been part of Sailor Moon fandom when it was being aired on Toonami, or you would remember Sailor Moon Uncensored, which was regularly updated during its CN run.

Sailor Moon has been run and edited long before Toonami, so SM fandom is way past that.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 am Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
I hear a lot around the internet this "Toei yanked One Piece out of 4Kids hands because of what they were doing to their baby" claim. I really, really need to see proof of that, because it makes no sense! Toei has a history of liking money, and doing anything to get their hands on their money (only natural, since they're this huge entertainment giant that they've always been for decades). I doubt they'd care if 4Kids renamed everyone in the show Mary and Bob, as long as that was profitable. Both parties probably gave up on that because it wasn't being profitable for either.

Stop romanticizing Toei, people!

I think a lot of more.. emotional anime fans have this naive view of Japanese companies. While it's certainly true anime studios geuinely care more about their products than western ones, they are still businesses. Toei most likely could not care less what western studios do to their works so long as they get their money. All you have to do is look at how mangled up Super Sentai and Kamen Rider are in America. Saban and Disney have utterly destroyed those franchises in America, but so long as Saban writes Toei a royalties check for their sentai footage, they most likely don't care what the western world has to deal with. They care more about their own market first and foremost. I think you can extend this mentality to most companies when it comes to dubs. So long as it doesn't intrude on their own home market, America can hack up stuff as much as they want so long as they get their money, it's not like Japanese viewers have to deal with 4Kids censorship practices.

Now, that's not to say the actual writers and creators feel that way. The jokes about American Power Rangers in Akibaranger were pretty mean-spirited and makes me beleive the actual writers and creators for those franchises do not like what the American teams do with them. Their portrayal and mocking of "Powerful Rangers" seemed to give that indication.

FCan wrote:
I find it horribly difficult to believe that there are people that liked the 4Kids dub over the FUNimation dub.

It mostly stems from nostalgia. Find any heavily edited dub and you'll find it has plenty of die-hard fans just because it's what they grew up with: Samurai Pizza Cats, Pokemon, Cardcaptors, Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, you name it. There's people who swear by Robotech to this very day day, believe it or not.
osakaedo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I've always been curious about the English Subtitle thing, because I've always assumed that Japan has a sizable English population due to it having American military bases. You'd think that would be a market to tap into.

Wow, no.

All foreigners combined make up for roughly 2% of their population with most of them coming from Korea and China.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote
For what it's worth, most anime DVDs don't have Japanese subtitles, either (at least the rental DVDs don't). In my experience only feature length anime get subtitles of any kind.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote
@Guile Super Sentai=/=Power Rangers. Bandai and Toei, as far as I know sees the two as distinct IPs. Also, most of Power Rangers is totally different from Super Sentai. Don't you dare even compare what 4kids done to One Piece(or any other show) to a mostly original show with a portion of stock footage. Power Rangers isn't TRYING to be like Super Sentai. One Piece's dub still resembles One Piece more than Power Rangers resembles Sentai. Also, more than 95% of all anime released in your region is uncut. This isn't the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s or even the early 2000s people. 4kids is dead and buried and Saban isn't doing shit with anime. Nelvana is also sitting on its ass. I didn't even grow up with PR, so don't try the nostalgia crap. I was already an adult in the early 90s and I saw Sentai when I was in Japan YEARS before PR.

@Clyde Is Swedish really as harsh as English? I doubt it. If somebody from Sweden and by extension Finland could clarify that, it would be great.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:44 am Reply with quote
You're lucky to find Japanese DVDs, Blu-rays with subtitles at all, including Japanese.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:
@Clyde Is Swedish really as harsh as English? I doubt it. If somebody from Sweden and by extension Finland could clarify that, it would be great.

I doubt the languages differ that much, if by harshness you mean using/having/strength of swear words.

But I think if a random person was asked what swear words were prohibited on daytime television here, the answer would probably be something like this; "...... .... ....What?"

I've lived both in Sweden and Finland so I know both languages pretty well.
Jen Bigby

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
ReverseTitan wrote:
Saban isn't doing shit with anime

What about Digimon Xros Wars Confused Comes on every Saturday and is pretty heavily edited. They seem to be alive. I don't know who handles Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal now that 4Kids is gone but it's still heavily edited as well and has some of the worst edits I've seen in an anime dub. Companies might die off but the practice of editing anime is still alive and well.

I dunno how you can try to argue Power Rangers isnt related to Super Sentai. Half of its footage is from sentai and ever since the original Mighty Morphin ended half the time it's trying to adapt the sentai storyline only it's heavily dumbed down and more kid friendly. Time Force and Samurai were pretty much adapting the original sentai versions Timeranger and Shinkenger. You can't really try to separate a show that takes half its footage and the entirety of it's motif/sets/costumes/props from another show. Most things in Power Rangers are like they are because that's how it was in the sentai version. It's just impossible to separate them like some Power Ranger rans seem to try to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7