• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Poop on a Platter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Do you have a link to this? I'd like to read/watch where she said this.

It's in this video somewhere. The whole panel is actually pretty interesting. Roland Parliament (voice director for eps. 12-65) mentioned that he is writing a book about the behind-the-scenes experiences of Sailor Moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFI1Gx_-ZQ

Also, Jill Frappier confirmed that she (and her husband) wrote the infamous "talent" episode (and she explained how in Japan, Jupiter was bragging about her tits).

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
It's pretty blatantly obvious the amount of discontent they had for them, if you watch about half of them, as they make no damn sense, but if possible I'd still like to see this. Also, through the middle of season two they just repeated them.

Definitely. Episode 2's just had Serena laughing pretty much. The "Lost episodes" (episodes 66-82) recycled old ones, regardless if the voices were consistent. Thank god they were dropped for S and SuperS.

LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Then how would they explain how all the girls were so manic over them?

Other dubs manage. They find ways to explain it. Some cut certain scenes. Or they could've done something extreme like the Italian dub and keep them males summoning their female twin sisters. No joke. English isn't the only language with a botched dub. Actually, ours isn't THAT bad compared to the French or the old Korean dub (which censored other things like lip-locking and anything Japanese, meaning every scene of Raye at her shrine or in her shrine robe was gone). The old Thai dub and the Italian dubs suck too from what I hear. Even the new Korean dub is criticized for stale voice acting versus the old dub's surprisingly good voice acting.

Latin American Spanish (NOT European Spanish) and German (and maybe Hebrew) are pretty much the only dubs of Sailor Moon with positive reception among their respective language's fanbases. Both are actually considered superlative, far above average, with nothing cut, the story intact, and great voice acting.

LUNI_TONZ wrote:
Also, let's not act like "Pretty Cure" isn't as equally a dumb name as "Glitter Force".

I'm not into Pretty Cure at all, but it will be interesting to see what happens with the franchise. I'm surprised it hasn't seen a bigger push.
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
All these arguments saying that certain shows had to be edited not just to appease S&P but to prevent parental backlash? To be perfectly honest, I have never heard of a single case where an anime show had to be edited as a result of an angry parent phoning into the network and giving the executives hell. If someone has evidence of this, don't hesitate to let me know.

It's not an anime but the creators of Regular Show have said that Cartoon Network received a lot of angry calls from parents who complained the characters said the phrased 'pissed off' which led to all future airings of those episodes to have it re-dubbed as 'ticked off'. Also the infamous Derpy incident in My Little Pony when they originally gave her a voice of a stereotypical mentally handicapped person but then quickly redubbed her as a normal girl because of complaints that it was making fun of people with mental disabilities. Soccer moms definitely do exist and are not a myth Wink
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Contrary to popular belief, parents in Japan DO care about what is in the TV/manga their kids are exposed to.

Less than 10 years ago they used to regularly have boobs (ie, live-action nipples) on prime-time broadcast television (I have been here the last 3 years and haven't seen a single one), and broadcast anime now has vastly less nipplage than it did even a few years ago (why bother fighting network censors when you can just use nudity to increase DVD/BD sales?).

Even Shin-chan is considered fairly taboo for younger children, and the original is vastly tamer than the dub (which is a glorified parody, to be honest). More because Shin is a bad influence than because of any cartoon ballsack.

I think One Piece only gets away with what it does because it's been on TV for so long and has so many adult fans.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, parents in Japan DO care about what is in the TV/manga their kids are exposed to.

Less than 10 years ago they used to regularly have boobs (ie, live-action nipples) on prime-time broadcast television (I have been here the last 3 years and haven't seen a single one), and broadcast anime now has vastly less nipplage than it did even a few years ago (why bother fighting network censors when you can just use nudity to increase DVD/BD sales?).

Even Shin-chan is considered fairly taboo for younger children, and the original is vastly tamer than the dub (which is a glorified parody, to be honest). More because Shin is a bad influence than because of any cartoon ballsack.

I think One Piece only gets away with what it does because it's been on TV for so long and has so many adult fans.

Yes, but that is definitely a new thing...
Parents didn't used to care, or perhaps more accurately stated they cared but their moral compass was centered differently.

A strong case could be made that over the past 20 years just as western tastes in clothing and have continued to seep into society so has western concepts of what is and isn't appropriate for children.
Especially in Japan which has just as many "busybody moms" as america (just with less lawsuits), it only takes a few loud voices to cause large changes to corporations behavior, hence the rapidly changing TV standards.

I guess you could say that the silver lining is that at the same time broadcast TV is globalized to an american standard the internet enables uncensored expression worldwide.
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote
I can't say exactly what caused the shift...

But I do remember two good examples:

1. A detective show where he goes to a mixed hot springs and there are several college-aged girls just bearing it all..because, why not.

2. A movie where Heather Graham shows off both of her preeminent talents.

That was in 2004-2005 and now there's nothing like that...
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
It's not an anime but the creators of Regular Show have said that Cartoon Network received a lot of angry calls from parents who complained the characters said the phrased 'pissed off' which led to all future airings of those episodes to have it re-dubbed as 'ticked off'. Also the infamous Derpy incident in My Little Pony when they originally gave her a voice of a stereotypical mentally handicapped person but then quickly redubbed her as a normal girl because of complaints that it was making fun of people with mental disabilities. Soccer moms definitely do exist and are not a myth Wink

But I'm not talking about Regular Show or My Little Pony. I'm specifically questioning whether a scene in an actual televised anime really caused a soccer mom to phone into the network and gave executives hell for it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote
Off the top of my head, the original Cutie Honey and Madoka Magica.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Also, let's not act like "Pretty Cure" isn't as equally a dumb name as "Glitter Force".

Wasn't the name originally a backformation from Purikura (Print Club)? Not that that makes much sense in context, but it's not just random word salad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
they're pretty and they cure things (apparently).

I'm sure it made total sense to the original creators...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:07 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

Wasn't the name originally a backformation from Purikura (Print Club)? Not that that makes much sense in context, but it's not just random word salad.

You are correct. The name is a pun/reference to "purikura", which is what they call those glamor photo booths that Japanese girls like so much.

However that background is not "show cannon", as in it has nothing to do with how the name is used in the show.
In the show there has never been any attempt to explain why they are called Pretty Cure. Each season usually creates its own lore about the Cures and what they are, why they exist, what they are fighting for, etc... So the name is just by Fiat.

Unlike Kamen Rider, which I believe has always worn a mask (kamen) and rides something (rider) regardless of the season,
the Pretty Cure name was just put in because it sounded catchy, not for any plot reason.

There are even occasions in the franchise where there are characters which are not "Cures" but something else, like Shiny Luminous or Milky Rose. Although I think they stopped that since it makes the All-Stars marketing more complcated...

In any case if Saban if calling it Glitter Force I would expect them to change the transformed character's names to something else.
Maybe "Sparkle" or who knows. If they're starting with Smile, then maybe they'd change their transformed names, too?

E.g. Cure Happy is silly even in Japanese but in an english version it sounds actually TOO childish in my opinion. Cure Happy would be like some puppet on a pre-school show.
Would a 12 year old girl want to dress up like a character named "Cure Happy"? I dunno... Then again I'm not a 12 year old girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7