• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Famous Celebrities You Forgot Did Anime Voiceovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Having finished the Armitage III OVAs and Armitage III: Dual Matrix, I decided to pop in the film compilation of the OVAs that was Polymatrix last night for the sake of showing my middle-aged father an anime starring Kiefer Sutherland and a bit of Bryan Cranston. With us being big fans of both 24 and Breaking Bad, I thought it'd be sorta fun to see actors he liked in a franchise that I've liked.

Too bad that wasn't enough to carry his interest beyond the first twenty minutes. All the graphic violence against the female robots and the scantiness of some aspects, things that I thought would've been toned down a bit more than they were for the film, didn't help matters. Couldn't help feeling but a bit embarrassed. At least I had enough sense to put out a couple disclaimers of "We don't need to watch it all if you don't want to" beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I love Juliette Lewis (I had Juliette and the Licks albums on repeat last night, ha) - Armitage III: Dual Matrix is now a much watch as well as Immortal Grand Prix: Michelle Rodriguez & 5 minute episodes, I'm willing to watch these dubs Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
it never ceases to amuse me that Bryan Cranston once voiced characters in anime, I wonder if he even remembers that stuff?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Cranston should get a Most Improved Acting award, because his Isamu was, uh, not very good. The only worse performance was whoever played Myung.

Sutherland and Berkley weren't exactly lighting up their roles in Armitage, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Immortal Grand Prix: Michelle Rodriguez & 5 minute episodes, I'm willing to watch these dubs Laughing

She's not in the original series with the 5 minute episodes. She's in the later, full TV series.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting article you wrote up. Very Happy

This is kinda cool for you to write this up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Cool!! Thanks for the shout out, Bamboo!! Very Happy

If you can believe it, celebrities appearing in anime still happens to this day. The recent Marvel anime series have been examples of this, with Adrian Pasdar and Milo Ventimiglia (both from Heroes) playing Iron Man and Wolverine respectively, and Harold Perrineau (of Lost) doing the voice of Blade. When Supernatural was adapted into an anime series, the dubbing studio was able to get both Jared Padalecki (for the entire series) and Jensen Ackles (for the last few episodes) to reprise their roles from the TV series.

Perhaps the most recent example would be FUNimation getting Freddie Prinze Jr. to reprise his role as James Vega for the Mass Effect: Paragon Lost film. Which I can't help but find funny, as way back in the day, there were rumors floating around that FUNi was actually thinking of casting Freddie as the voice of adult Gohan. Obviously, that didn't work out. Laughing

In case anyone finds that last bit hard to believe: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2000-08-17/freddie-prinze-jr-may-do-dbz-voice
troizen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Howl's Moving Castle had: Jean Simmons,Lauren Bacall, Billy Crystal, and Christian Bale.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Always found it a bit odd how Hamill made Muska sound so much like his Joker...
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
While not a-listers, quite a few big voice actors were on Voltron and Saber Rider. Voltron's cast were all on G.I. Joe and Transformers among various other shows. And I recall reading Saber Rider had Raphael, Krang and Mona Lisa from the original TMNT series.
Kurohayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Christian Bale as Howl in Howl's Moving Castle deserves a mention I reckon.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I'll always remember Jaleel White as Sonic. X3
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Matt Damon had like three lines in Ponyo.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that some of these celebs actually look like the characters they voiced? Laughing

Armitage III, Poly Matrix was just a chop job of the original OVA and quite gob shyte for it too. Both Sutherland and Berkley put as much effort into their respective roles and a reprobate puts in doing community service. The OVA had Hank Wilspank (that can't be his real name surely? Laughing) and B.G. Mills who did their rolls with more enthusiasm.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
^ It's not, thank God. His real name is Henry Douglas Grey. He's actually the voice of Might Guy, if you can believe it.

person#4545
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4