• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Famous Celebrities You Forgot Did Anime Voiceovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FCan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I'll always remember Jaleel White as Sonic. X3

Steve Urkel and Sonic always have sounded similar, don't you have working ears?
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:24 am Reply with quote
Along with Christian Bale, Emily Mortimer, Jean Simmons, Billy Crystal, and a very young Josh Hutcherson were in Howl's Moving Castle.

Another mention I would like to make is Katsuhiro Otomo's film Steamboy, which starred Anna Paquin, Alfred Molina, and Patrick Stewart.
FCan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
Phil Collins doing the theme song for Cipher if it counts. As well as Queen for the short Bohemian Rhapsody.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:50 am Reply with quote
FCan wrote:
GokuMew2 wrote:
I'll always remember Jaleel White as Sonic. X3

Steve Urkel and Sonic always have sounded similar, don't you have working ears?

What's your problem? All I did was make a small comment about a celebrity who did the voice of an anime character. Though perhaps it's not a role that people have forgotten, did you really have to go out of your way to pick my comment out of all the others here and be a jerk about it? Sheesh. Your first day on this forum and already you feel the need to be a smart aleck.

And for your information, as a huge seiyuu follower, I probably have better ears than the average anime fan.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Immortal Grand Prix: Michelle Rodriguez & 5 minute episodes, I'm willing to watch these dubs Laughing

She's not in the original series with the 5 minute episodes. She's in the later, full TV series.

Ah I see, thanks for the info Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:39 am Reply with quote
Ha! Frances McDormand in Genesis Surviver Gaiarth! I love it!

I don't really know her that well, but I think it's funny that an even moderatly famous actress was in something so obscure.

One I know, is that one of the Real Houswives of NYC, Alex McCord, voiced Birdy in the 96 Birdy the Mighty OVA, among other anime roles.

(of course I know this from reading about Birdy rather than knowing who she is because of the other thing, which I find funny because most people probably would learn it the other way around).
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Immortal Grand Prix: Michelle Rodriguez & 5 minute episodes, I'm willing to watch these dubs Laughing

She's not in the original series with the 5 minute episodes. She's in the later, full TV series.

Ah I see, thanks for the info Very Happy

You're welcome. It's a shame you're a boy. You sound like a cute girl.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
You're welcome.

... Thanks... Laughing

egoist wrote:
It's a shame you're a boy. You sound like a cute girl.

... Thanks again... We can still be friends, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Another odd one is Dwight Schultz in the Ninja Scroll TV series.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Just remembered guy who was on Broadway in "The Book of Mormon" did quite a few 4Kids shows, including Tao Ren on Shaman King. And don't remember his character's name, but one guy from "Monk" was the original English voice of Raditz in the first dub of DBZ.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Haha, man I had no idea Uncle Phil played one of the baddies of Fist of the North Star. It was a time when scripting was awkward and lines fit in places where they probably shouldn't have. One particularly memorable line from him: "NOW YOU REALLY MADE ME MADASSHOLE!"
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What do Disney know about ADR compared to Bang Zoom?

Considering that their dubs are better on the whole...probably more. Razz
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:
What do Disney know about ADR compared to Bang Zoom?

Considering that their dubs are better on the whole...probably more. Razz

Wrong answer. 1. Bang Zoom is run by Japanese nationals, who know more about anime and Japanese culture than Disney. 2. Bang Zoom scripts are more accurate and closer to 1:1s than Disney. Disney just makes up their own stuff, rather than retaining the original words. 3. Bang Zoom is almost strictly for anime dubs and Disney is more varied, meaning that Bang Zoom has more focus on one area, allowing the area to be more polished rather than a shit ton of other producing methods. 4. Don't care if you think the VAs are overused or not, they still are more experienced in dubbing and voice acting than most of the stars Disney uses. Also it's 1000000X better than what I have to suffer through in Hong Kong. Just saying.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
^ Opinions don't have wrong answers. That's what makes them "opinions". Razz

Titan, I've noticed in a lot of your posts that you seem to get WAY too worked up over the most trivial of things. I think you need to calm down and chillax a little and realize that not everyone has to agree with you. It'll make the atmosphere here on the forums a lot more comfortable if you would.

Because honestly, right now you're coming across as a hypersensitive, entitled little know-it-all. Neutral
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
2. Bang Zoom scripts are more accurate and closer to 1:1s than Disney. Disney just makes up their own stuff, rather than retaining the original words.

Accuracy's only half of what makes a good foreign translation. The other half is making it sound natural, like it was never translated at all. And that's something Bang Zoom routinely struggles with, to put it nicely.

It doesn't really matter to me if the company's experienced, or if the voice actors are celebrities. The quality of the dub is what speaks to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4