• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's Arrietty to Have Different Dub Casts in U.S., U.K.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
why do two different dubs when the u.k. and the u.s. speak the same language?

Britain and America are two linked nations separated by a common language.

Should've been a Brit dub in the first place! Should've been speaking Japanese in British accent! Laughing

Emerje wrote:
Hmm, established British actors in a story adapted from a British novel, or an American dub filled with whatever hack Disney channel kids are popular this second

As opposed to anime hiring whomever J-pop Morning AKB 39 is popular. Laughing
Nephtis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:28 pm Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see which dub Madman picks up for their cinema release in Australia. I never thought I'd see a Peep Show reference (even if tiny) on this site!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
sillyriri wrote:
I'm kinda hoping that the DVD release has both, just so I can compare.

Me too, I'll watch both and see which one I prefer.

Looking at the casting for both sides, I kind of like whose been picked for the voice acting. I'm excited to see this.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Should've been a Brit dub in the first place! Should've been speaking Japanese in British accent! Laughing
Emerje wrote:
Hmm, established British actors in a story adapted from a British novel, or an American dub filled with whatever hack Disney channel kids are popular this second

Exactly! Just like when Nozomi released the two seasons of Emma, right? Though you have to imagine Disney is cackling at this. No solution in the DVD regions (1 vs. 2) or BD regions (A vs. B) for those who want both easily. Slim hope for them, however, given the long lead between releases... it might signal reverse-importation protection.
Mytopia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Emerje wrote:

Exactly! Just like when Nozomi released the two seasons of Emma, right? Though you have to imagine Disney is cackling at this. No solution in the DVD regions (1 vs. 2) or BD regions (A vs. B) for those who want both easily. Slim hope for them, however, given the long lead between releases... it might signal reverse-importation protection.

Er, no, you can easily get a region-free Blu-Ray player, with some available under $100 or round that amount. Given the several excellent Blu-Ray releases from publishers like Optimum or BFI, I think that's a very good option for any film aficionado.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:48 am Reply with quote
Meh, I'm fine with the subtitled Japanese import. I will definitely check out the dub in the theater, but as for double dipping, meh.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Ghibli doesn't do that and most anime cannot do it. Surely they would like to, but they can't afford them oO
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:10 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Ghibli doesn't do that and most anime cannot do it. Surely they would like to, but they can't afford them oO

Well, definitely not Ghibli, who typically don't even hire anime VAs, in favor of out-of-the-way live-action performers. Laughing
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
This is quite remarkable. Optimum's version may be the first anime release to feature a dub cast hailing predominantly from the UK since the 1990s. (I draw attention to the fact that Manga's dub of Ghost in the Shell 2 does not qualify as an exception to this.)
firedragon54738 wrote:
But why is the US dub being released next year and the UK in out next month this dosnt seem far

This is an exception to the norm. Most other recently-produced anime are released in North America long before they are on these shores. Many fans in this location resort to importation to counteract such a delay. Ghibli enjoys a comparatively immense head of steam regarding public exposure over here, which I might hold accountable for this special treatment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oraculo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:10 am Reply with quote
Yeeeesh, this is so L-A-M-E! Rolling Eyes Perhaps I should preface this by saying I'm pretty much a "give me subs or give me nothing" type of person, but if they only did the British dub, I would maybe, sorta think about checking it out. No way in hell Evil or Very Mad am I going to go near the DisneyKidz version, ugh! Mad
Maybe the Brits will release a sub-only version... I'd definitely buy that! Anime catgrin
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This is quite remarkable. Optimum's version may be the first anime release to feature a dub cast hailing predominantly from the UK since the 1990s. (I draw attention to the fact that Manga's dub of Ghost in the Shell 2 does not qualify as an exception to this.)
I don't know why. Yes "Innocence" was dubbed here, but the VA's were flown over from the US as they were all the originals. If there was a Brit amongst them he/she was faking an American accent pretty damn well.
Wink Here, here I say to Optimum Asia. Common sense finally prevails and I will gladly reward them for their kind consideration by handing over some of my hard earned brass to them. Too bad VR Emma wasn't so lucky. Wink
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Well, definitely not Ghibli, who typically don't even hire anime VAs, in favor of out-of-the-way live-action performers. Laughing

Indeed, Ghibli doesn't need to bother with underpaid anime seiyus, because they can afford the real, established actors and celebs (Mirai Shida, Takuya Kimura, Yuki Amami etc.).
Eventhough it also seems to be a lot of Miyazaki handpicking the voices, like Ryunosuke Kamiki, who's in several movies, and Yuria Nara, who was pretty much just a child before voicing Ponyo.

Last edited by maaya on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Kyubey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 am Reply with quote
Maybe this will be a dub I can actually stand listening to... I wish more companies would employ Brits for dubbing when the anime has British/European characters, or at least try to do the accent.
darkslayer709

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
But why is the US dub being released next year and the UK in out next month this dosnt seem far

Generally we get things last here in the UK and at times never get them at all so it makes a nice change for us to get something first Smile (e.g. we aren't getting the first part of Black Butler until August. America has had it for several months already)

I'm not much of a Ghibli fan (but my friend is) and I actually like the sound of this. It does bug me at times that everything I watch seems to have an American accent so I'm curious to see how this will play out.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Waste of time. At first I thought maybe it's because the U.S. will be using "name" actors Americans are familiar with, but looking at the cast, these aren't really huge names. *I* know most of them, but the average joe won't. So like everyone else I would have preferred the UK dub as the singular dub in the west.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3