• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Vinland Saga GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FeralMemories

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote
Too bad I didn't get my copy because Amazon is having serious issues obtaining this book. I preordered it 8 months ago and then when it was supposed to come out they cancel the order. I don't really want to buy it from a bookstore because it'd be 19.99 and Amazon had it for 9.99. Guess I'll wait... I have Books 2-4 on preorder as well, but if the second one gets canceled as well, I'm not going to bother with the rest until that gets sorted out.
JonLa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Reading the kindle version on my ipad mini now. Seems to work well - the mini is a great way to read manga
Ensof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
Also, has anybody hear read the American comics series Northlanders? They're both similarly themed - realistic, well reasearched Viking stories.

I've read the first few books of Northlanders, and although It feels more realistic than Vinland Saga (which is more fantastic), I've enjoyed Vinalnd Saga more. They're both good, though.

Northlanders might feel more realistic in tone, but I'd consider Vinland Saga to be the better researched of the two. There are a couple of huge anachronisms in the first volume (Leif Ericson talks about the effects of ocean currents on climate; someone performs CPR), but after that only minor errors. It struck me as odd that Yukimura didn't give Sweyn I, better known as Sweyn Forkbeard, a forked beard - it would seem a free kick as far as character design goes.

Northlanders, on the other hand, plays very fast and loose with history and is full of basic errors and anachronisms. I suppose Brian Wood's excuse would be "artistic licence", but most of the mistakes were simply unnecessary. The worst examples were "The Cross + the Hammer" (a very modern noir story clumsily shoehorned into 11th century Ireland) and "Metal" (which I doubt was researched at all). I enjoyed the series, but the history graduate in me got really annoyed at times.

lem wrote:
I considered picking that (Northlanders) up as well but then I see that it has been cancelled at Volume or Issue #50? ...Don't know if I want to invest in an incomplete story. If that is in fact the case.

Northlanders was cancelled at issue 50 (7 trade paperbacks), but the series is basically a collection of short stories with only Vikings in common. The longest stories only take up a single volume at most. None of the stories are incomplete. So there's definitely no drawback to checking it out.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:03 am Reply with quote
Ensof wrote:

...Northlanders was cancelled at issue 50 (7 trade paperbacks), but the series is basically a collection of short stories... The longest stories only take up a single volume at most. None of the stories are incomplete...

okay so it's more like a collection of "stand alone" stories gathered under one title. That's good to know, Thank you.

looks like I'll probably be checking out at least one of the trade paperbacks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3