• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Australia's Madman Ent: DBZ Kai's Buu Saga Should Come in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4KidsFan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought long and hard of responding to you Penguin, and after several days I finally decided to do so.

penguintruth wrote:
The degree to which it alters the dialogue often alters the characters and scenes by misrepresenting what they're about, what their motivations and personalities are like. For instance, Son Goku comes across as more together, more intelligent, and a bit preachy in the English dub. Toriyama envisioned Son Goku as a simple, unsophisticated bumpkin whose main motivation in life is fighting strong guys and getting stronger.

The changes were for the better. More together, more intelligent and preachy are good factors to have. I'm not complaining here and it's not like the dub giving him those factors effected the story and his situations majorly or something. I rather have a strong established warrior than some nitwit. This is an example of dubs getting things right here.

penguintruth wrote:
And the music is certainly related to the tone of the show and scenes in it. For instance, the scene in which Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan for the first time. Whereas the original, Shunsuke Kikuchi piece used creates the atmosphere of sheer terror about the transformation, the Faulconer track tries to make it seem like we should all be very impressed by how cool and mystical the transformation is.

Um, that's the whole point and very reasonable hence why there should be no complaints there. The audience should be impressed by how cool and mystical the transformation is. They can also get a little terror out of, though I don't know why considering Goku is not a villain here.

penguintruth wrote:
And as for the voice acting, the Japanese version is filled to the brim with celebrated veterans, many of them celebrated for a years before they were in the cast of DB or DBZ. Funimation's English dub? Uh, well, it was "learn as you go" for many of them, and I personally felt they didn't learn much.

Oh they did a find job and you need to stop bashing them. Even if they weren't all that good, which they were, they sure beat the heck out of many of the actors from the Ocean group. Now that's a group that deserves harsh criticism.

penguintruth wrote:
But one version is the show as it was envisioned and the other kind of... isn't.

Well you have to understand that often what is envisioned can be cheap and changes in a dub that are just a God send should not be criticized. Don't be so blind to automatically see the original work as great because it's the original thing and then hate on a good change because it's not the original thing. That's just foolishness when you know for certain changes in a dub is just born to be made for the sake of a whole different set of audience to click to better.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 am Reply with quote
4KidsFan wrote:

Um, that's the whole point and very reasonable hence why there should be no complaints there. The audience should be impressed by how cool and mystical the transformation is. They can also get a little terror out of, though I don't know why considering Goku is not a villain here.
Because that scene was supposed to represent Goku giving in to his rage and his more animalistic Saiyan nature. It was supposed to have an ominous air to it.
4KidsFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
Because that scene was supposed to represent Goku giving in to his rage and his more animalistic Saiyan nature. It was supposed to have an ominous air to it.

Look, the dub music was good and still fitting for the scene. Don't be hating on it.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the news, maybe I'll finally start watching DBZ Kai once FUNimation releasing the Buu arc/saga completely.

(I already own all 9 orange widescreen season sets)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5