• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Umineko WHEN THEY CRY Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch GN 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Turn of the Golden Witch's conclusion is neither as strong nor as shocking as its predecessor, and Ryukishi07 is going to have to step up his game in the third arc if he wants to retain the sort of breathless fanbase his previous series Higurashi: When They Cry inspires.

The typical response from readers tends to be that EP1 was stronger than EP2. Consensus also tends to find EP3 much better, although I personally rate EP3 as perhaps the weakest of the first three. That said, I still found the final chunk of EP2 to be especially engaging, but, having not read the manga adaptation yet (on my to-do list), I'm not sure if the disappointment here has more to do with different tastes or adaptation decay.

While I was definitely enjoying it, Umineko did not fully equal Higurashi in my eyes until around EP5, and it has since far surpassed it. But, despite their surface-level similarities, Umineko and Higurashi are very different stories, with surprisingly different themes, methods of execution, and ultimate results.

I look forward to reading this part of the manga adaptation myself, as well as reading more of your opinions on future installments. Thanks for the interesting read~.

(Unfortunately, Yen Press missed an amazing opportunity with the Red Truth... Even though I understand printing actual colored text would get kind of crazy (crazy awesome!) in later installments.)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
@Tanteikingdomkey This is my own conclusion I drew from the series from the source material and manga. I never had the opportunity to interview R7 like you did, however spoiler[I don't believe yasu was behind the killing either but was a puppet being used behind the strings in them. ] If ya want to talk more hit me with a pm.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I will most likely PM since I really do not want to derail this talkback. I will say spoiler[we basically are thinking the same thing though with some minor changes most likely]
I am very excited for more reviews in particular episode 4, 6, and 7.
I will most likely send you an advance copy of the interview once it has been fully transcribed.
Detrimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Amazon reviews indicate that the Red Truth is not in fact printed in red. This saddens me.

Of course it's not, the japanese volumes didn't so i don't see why the english versions would.(they're only red in scanlations because the edito makes it that way)
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
It would really be great if they made an anime adaptation for part two of Umineko... Higurashi is one of my favorite series, but I'm hesitant to purchase Umineko until there is a completion season...
FLAZE35

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone here seen KnowNoMore's theory? All 9 hours? I'm not saying I believe it (though he brings up some good points) but I'm wondering what other people think of it.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It would really be great if they made an anime adaptation for part two of Umineko... Higurashi is one of my favorite series, but I'm hesitant to purchase Umineko until there is a completion season...

It's never going to happen, it was a huge flop for deen and even hardcore fans in japan didn't like the first season of the anime. They would have to do remake of the first season then do chiru if that sold well enough. I really would love to see umineko again in a animated format but sadly I just don't see it happening.

Now I do have some good news however if you can stand to read the visual novel it is legally for sale on manga-gamer's site. The patch done by the witch hunt project is linked there as well since R7 did give his approval for the translation.
http://www.mangagamer.com/detail.php?goods_type=1&product_code=94
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

It's never going to happen, it was a huge flop for deen and even hardcore fans in japan didn't like the first season of the anime. They would have to do remake of the first season then do chiru if that sold well enough. I really would love to see umineko again in a animated format but sadly I just don't see it happening.

Now I do have some good news however if you can stand to read the visual novel it is legally for sale on manga-gamer's site. The patch done by the witch hunt project is linked there as well since R7 did give his approval for the translation.
http://www.mangagamer.com/detail.php?goods_type=1&product_code=94

Yeah, that is pretty much what I expected unfortunately. I have never gotten into visual novels before, but I'm pretty interested in Saya No Uta, so that might end up being my segue them.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
spoiler[I fully believe in shakannontrice however I believe she did not kill anyone. I believe battler messed up yet again, and assigned her all the blame for what happened while the actual culprit went unnoticed by him the entire time]

Really? Because the manga confirms that spoiler[Sayo/Yasu is the culprit of the gameboard, however Kyrie and Rudolf were the culprits of Rokkenjima Prime.] Not only that, but how could spoiler[Battler take over the gameboard and use the Gold Truth if he didn't know the truth of the gameboard to begin with?]

I know you said that you interviewed R07, and know the truth, but I've gotta agree withCecilthedarkknight_234. spoiler[Umineko is about finding the cause of the tragedy, and looking deep into the plot to find out what led Yasu to utterly despising her existence.] It's also why I find Rebecca's complaints about the author pressuring the reader into believing in the witch funny, because spoiler[Umineko's not about destroying the illusion of the witch. It's about reconciling that illusion with reality, and while it's not the truth, you must understand what the illusion is and why it came into being.] And that's a part of why Episode 2 is actually one of my favorite episodes, because it's just stuffed with information and hints. spoiler[I mean, the entire episode is basically just Sayo's motive and terror, veiled ever so thinly with the mask of fantasy.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2