• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to ANN 5.0

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
How do I make the active forum page full screen, or wider than a narrow alley without so much skin achers of land on the borders?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I hate it. It's different, I had to log in again which made me have to look up what the hell my password here was again. F*** this s***. Too much bulls*** going on. Make the people that aren't paying you look at all this crap. Subscribers shouldn't have to deal with all the background noise.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
How do I make the active forum page full screen, or wider than a narrow alley without so much skin achers of land on the borders?

Account Settings -> Preferences -> Text Width 200 characters per line, or set a number that suits you best.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I think it looks great! And I agree with Ryan's sentiment that the third option on the front page looks pretty good, it's my go-to-choice. The biggest knock I have is that there's maybe too much bright white space, it kind of makes things hard to look at (a light gray might be easier on the eyes).
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I hate it. It's different, I had to log in again which made me have to look up what the hell my password here was again. Fuck this shit. Too much bullshit going on. Make the people that aren't paying you look at all this crap. Subscribers shouldn't have to deal with all the background noise.

Agreed. One of the advantages of being a subscriber was the ability to turn off the background noise. We don't seem to have that anymore.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Have to admit, the new look is pretty jarring at first, but once I switched it over to 'List View with Images', things looked a little more like how I remembered them, while also looking shiny and new. So kinda the perfect merger for me I suppose.

I agree with this fully. I also like the Haibane Renmei skin with it, makes the color scheme more attractive to me.

I chose to minimize the sidebar on the forums, which for some reason causes the sidebar to appear underneath the forums at the bottom of the page. Is that intentional? Not that it really bothers me when it's there out of sight, but it seems weird.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
The biggest knock I have is that there's maybe too much bright white space, it kind of makes things hard to look at (a light gray might be easier on the eyes).

Agreed. And the thing is, even the "blue" skin option in my account's skin settings doesn't change things much. There are blue borders when I'm looking at the forum, but if I look at news stuff, there's just... white space. No blue skin evident. That's how it is on that of my 11 inch Macbook, anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
First, thanks to the ANN staff for a lot of hard work. I'm a creature of habit who fears and hates change on general principle, but I think I'll adapt quite nicely. I've already found how to use the turn off images and sidebar feature. I actually like the white space at the sides. I currently don't use mobile devices to access ANN but I can see how ANN 5.0 will make doing so much easier.

So keep up the good work and I look forward to the new features as you roll them out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
Can you guys have the option of switching back?

Unfortunately this was more than just a layout change. All future coding will be for ANN 5.0, so ANN 4 will probably break after a few changes to the site, database, etc...

In fact, we've got a new way of posting articles soon. So even if we gave you ANN 4, new articles wouldn't show up on it.

Sorry.
Progeusz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:24 pm Reply with quote
It's so damn ugly.

e: Doesn't even redirect to the thread after posting.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
This toolbar in the forums is REALLY starting to annoy me...

I don't want it moved to the side. I don't want it moved to the bottom.

I want it *GONE*. As in NOT THERE.

And I want the full-sized forums back, as well. These white spaces on the side are hella annoying. Evil or Very Mad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote
To those who don't like the changes: any chance you could express your views without coming across like massive tools? Is registering your opinion politely really uncool or something? Rolling Eyes
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice if we could get some slightly more cooperative BBCode shortcut buttons.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

And I want the full-sized forums back, as well. These white spaces on the side are hella annoying. Evil or Very Mad

That at least you can do now, go to account settings and change the text width to 200. Or even higher if you prefer, though I think 200 should work.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This toolbar in the forums is REALLY starting to annoy me...

I don't want it moved to the side. I don't want it moved to the bottom.

I want it *GONE*. As in NOT THERE.

Got to "account settings" and then "preferences". Select "200" and the white space is mostly gone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 18