• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
m_traydor wrote:
kayori1928 wrote:
Attack on Titan was such a close second. I don't think I've seen such a close 2nd to One Piece in...ever. I am glad because even though One Piece is decent I always found it way overrated. It really only gets #1 every year because it is the highest selling and most popular manga in Japan, which AOT is the most poplar world-wide. As for Naruto falling out of the top three....well if you read the manga its pretty obvious why.

Sure One Piece gets most of it's popularity in Japan but no matter how you look at it there is no such thing as Japan and worldwide. Japan is part of the world too.

On another note, Kudos to Assassination Classroom for getting in the top 10.
Popularity outside Japan is usually a joke, especially for manga. Even Dragonball, which definitely has had by far the biggest international audience of any manga, sold only about 70 million volumes outside Japan as opposed to 160 mill inside it. And the only other series with both a worldwide and japan only figure I know of is One Piece, which has sold 345 million worldwide, with 300 million of that being from Japan and the remaining 45 million is all the rest of the world contributed
straw$hat$fighter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
For the people who said that One Piece can't be beaten check out the numbers.

One Piece 4 volumes + 68 old volumes made 18.1 mil and Attack on Titan 3 volumes + 8 old volumes made 15.9 mil (Difference 2.2 mil) If this result would come in October or November and it was 3 volumes vs 3 volumes Attack on Titan would be on top as One Piece v72 made 2.5 mil. I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

Do you work for the gon't? What's with the selective stats?
The old vols of OP doesn't sale that much this year.

Everybody knows AoT helps by the anime. It will have a down year next year once everybody buys a copy.

IF you don't like the total sales number, Just looks a sale by vol.

One Piece Vol. 69 and 70 all sold over 3m.
I think ANN reported that vol 69 has a record print run of 4 millions copy.

I think 71 and 72 all atleast over over 2 millions by now. 72 hasn't out for a long time out, so it doesn't maximize all the sales.

Give me the number of AoT vols sales this year.

Learn to read!! You missed this.

I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

I know that AoT cannot win One Piece in a regular 3 vs 3 volumes. I am not that stupid. I said AoT pro formed the best This Year

AoT can't win in 3 vs 3 sales and can't win in total sales. It can only win in old vols sales because of the anime. I don't know what's kick ass mean. I don;'t know how you get Aot performed better when i got beat in total sales and sales per vol.

when all volumes of a manga show up for 25+ weeks on a weekly top 50 list then you can say it kicked ass this year
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm always amazed by how insanely defensive OP fans can get whenever anyone remotely suggests that any other given series is getting popular. Last year it was KuroBas (although I don't think it reached AoT numbers) and now with AoT. It's like they feel some other series' success is somehow threatening/diminishing OP's, and thus, they must deny that whatever any other series achieves can not be considered success at all.

Last edited by CrowLia on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkyDemonZoro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
straw$hat$fighter wrote:
For the people who said that One Piece can't be beaten check out the numbers.

One Piece 4 volumes + 68 old volumes made 18.1 mil and Attack on Titan 3 volumes + 8 old volumes made 15.9 mil (Difference 2.2 mil) If this result would come in October or November and it was 3 volumes vs 3 volumes Attack on Titan would be on top as One Piece v72 made 2.5 mil. I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

Do you work for the gon't? What's with the selective stats?
The old vols of OP doesn't sale that much this year.

Everybody knows AoT helps by the anime. It will have a down year next year once everybody buys a copy.

IF you don't like the total sales number, Just looks a sale by vol.

One Piece Vol. 69 and 70 all sold over 3m.
I think ANN reported that vol 69 has a record print run of 4 millions copy.

I think 71 and 72 all atleast over over 2 millions by now. 72 hasn't out for a long time out, so it doesn't maximize all the sales.

Give me the number of AoT vols sales this year.

Learn to read!! You missed this.

I love One Piece and know its much more popular (look by volumes result) but this year Attack on Titan kicked everyones ass.

I know that AoT cannot win One Piece in a regular 3 vs 3 volumes and its performance is a one time thing. I said AoT performance the best This Year

Umm OP is still number one with 3 million lead , not sure how you consider this to be "ass kicking everyone this year" and Attack on Titan exploded this year yet still couldn't beat OP , if this doesn't say anything then i don't know what does.
SkyDemonZoro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
kayori1928 wrote:
Attack on Titan was such a close second. I don't think I've seen such a close 2nd to One Piece in...ever. I am glad because even though One Piece is decent I always found it way overrated. It really only gets #1 every year because it is the highest selling and most popular manga in Japan, which AOT is the most poplar world-wide. As for Naruto falling out of the top three....well if you read the manga its pretty obvious why.

OP sold 345 million worldwide whereas Attack on Titan has barely sold 30 million worldwide , not sure how you consider that to be the most popular manga worldwide .
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm always amazed by how insanely defensive OP fans can get whenever anyone remotely suggests that any other given series is getting popular. Last year it was KuroBas (although I don't think it reached AoT numbers) and now with AoT. It's like they feel some other series' success is somehow threatening/diminishing OP's, and thus, they must deny that whatever any other series achieves can not be considered success at all.

Well, to be fair, this only happened in this thread because somebody made a hyperbolic statement that the data in this very article does not support. I don't think OP fans mind whichever series is the #2 selling manga in Japan.

Also, you're going to have to point out which posts in this thread are 'defensive' about KuroBas' popularity. Perhaps you should provide links when making accusations, else it looks like you're making stuff up.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Great for Ass Class.

And wow, Sakamoto Desu ga vol 1 racking up 896k over the year. The magazine it's in has a pretty small circulation from what I can recall, it used to publish 6 times a year (now 10), and it's not even by one of the usual three big publishers. And no anime to raise its profile. Sleeper hit of the year.
alex.ziro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys! but this is the LAST ONE top-selling list of the year?
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote

18,151,599 - One Piece, 72
15,933,801 - Attack on Titan, 11 (monthly manga)
*8,761,081 - Kuroko no Baske, 24
*7,151,001 - Magi, 19
*5,553,933 - Naruto, 66

In 2013, 23 books from 5 series sold over 1 million. One Piece (4) , Attack on Titan (11), Naruto (4), Hunter x Hunter (2) and Kimi Ni Todoke (2)

23,464,866 - One Piece, 68
*8,070,446 - Kuroko, 19
*6,495,240 - Naruto, 62
*5,413,899 - Space Brothers, 22

In 2012, 12 volumes from 4 series sold over 1 million. One Piece (4), Naruto (4), Kimi ni Todoke (3), Hunter x Hunter (1).

37,996,373 - One Piece, 64
*6,874,840 - Naruto, 58
*5,223,712 - Blue Exorcist, 9 (monthly manga)

In 2011, 15 volumes from 7 series sold over 1 million. One Piece (4), Naruto (4), Kimi ni Todoke (2), Fullmetal Alchemist (1), Hunter x Hunter (2), Saint Young Men (1), Nodame Cantabile (1).

32,343,809 - One Piece, 60
*7,409,068 - Naruto, 53
*6,572,813 - Kimi ni Todoke, 12 (monthly manga)
*5,739,526 - Fairy Tail, 23
*5,204,193 - Bleach, 47
*5,165,052 - Fullmetal Alchemist, 27 (monthly manga)

In 2010, 17 volumes from 5 series sold over 1 million. One Piece (5), Fullmetal Alchemist (3), Nodame Cantabile (1), Naruto (5), Kimi ni Todoke (3).

14,721,241 - One Piece, 55
*6,836,494 - Naruto, 48
*6,471,021 - Bleach, 41
*5,810,522 - Fullmetal Alchemist, 23 (monthly manga)

In 2009, 12 volumes from 5 series sold over 1 million. One Piece (4), NANA (1) Fullmetal Alchemist (3), Naruto (3) and Nodame Cantabile (1).

5,956,540 - One Piece, 51

In 2008, 11 volumes from 5 series sold a million. One Piece (3), NANA (2), Nodame Cantabile (2), Naruto (2), Fullmetal Alchemist (2).
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Just noticed that there are two separate editions of Jojo on this list, and if combined it'd actually be in the top 10 (at number 9 I believe)
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm just happy that assasination classroon, Hunter x Hunter and Silver Spoon are doing well. Whether it's first or not its kind of a given OP would do well so I never really think about it anymore (the same is true with me for Magi and AoT, which I'm not even that large of a fan or for the latter).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
Just noticed that there are two separate editions of Jojo on this list, and if combined it'd actually be in the top 10 (at number 9 I believe)

I believe the higher positioned one is Jojolion.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Well, to be fair, this only happened in this thread because somebody made a hyperbolic statement that the data in this very article does not support. I don't think OP fans mind whichever series is the #2 selling manga in Japan.

Also, you're going to have to point out which posts in this thread are 'defensive' about KuroBas' popularity. Perhaps you should provide links when making accusations, else it looks like you're making stuff up.

1. This did not only happen in this thread. For the past six months, every time AoT did great on sales and someone commented how it could even compete with OP, OP fans started their usual diatribe about how it would not because blablablah. And it's not hyperbolic to say a monthly series that just came out four years ago giving a 15-year-old-top-popularity series a run for its money (less than 3 mill volumes difference) is impressive.
2.Tbh, I don't care about the specific subject enough to spend half my life hunting for the specific thread in which "No KuroBas can't even be compared to OP because blablablah". It may not have even been KuroBas, but I'm not the only one ever to notice this kind of over-zealous behavior from many OP fans and it's really annoying
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not quite sure why there is this animosity between OP and AOT sales but OP's sales numbers should be taken as normal by now. It's been doing this for the past 5 years so its already expected; One Piece sold just about as well as One Piece should; nothing more nothing less.

That being said, AOT was awfully close to taking the top spot this year for total sales with only 1 OP volume's worth of sales difference between them. In layman's terms: AOT sold terrifically and very few manga can boast the same feat (Excluding OP obviously). The problem is that, AOT's sales have been boosted by the anime this year. Just quoting ANN:

ANN wrote:
Attack on Titan's final 2013 series total of 15,933,801 is six times its total in 2012, 2.683 million.

I dont see AOT replicating this sales number anytime soon. I still see it selling over 10 million next year but nothing over 15 million. I say this because OP went through a similar phase back in 2009 -2010 when the sales of its volumes exploded due to the Strong World Film being released and it being timed with the climax of Part 1 of the manga. It reached 38 million copies sold in one year in 2011. Now its down to 18 million. AOT does't have the same advantage as OP does in the manga so it sales should fall more quickly (unless a 13 ep anime season is announced soon...).

At the end of the day, there is no use comparing OP and AOT as they are 2 completely different series. AOT's boosted sales still couldn't match OP's normal sales and it probably won't get another get another chance like this ever again.

In other more relevant news: glad that Magi and Assassination Classroom have sold well as they really deserve it. Good to see Space Brothers still hanging on. I feel happy when good manga series get the sales numbers they deserve. Last year it was Magi and Space Brothers; this year it is Assassination Classroom.
pykrete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Attack On Titan's special editions is making it more complicated to predict how it will do in 2014.

If it maintains at least 1.5 million copies per volume... so maybe 5-7 million next year, including backlog sales. Making it Naruto-tier. Which would still be amazing cause there's not going to be a Shingeki anime in 2014.

I very much doubt it can do a One Piece, cause as repeatedly mentioned, Shingeki won't have a never-ending anime. Even FMA got 2.5x longer anime runs and only managed 5-6 million manga sold in 2009 and 2010.

Anyway, we'll get a better idea of Shingeki's future sales 2nd-3rd week of December as its 12th volume goes on sale next Monday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6