• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam The Origin Manga to Launch Anime Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:
While I understand that yet another "remake" of the gundam universe and particularly the one year war period might seem tired, I have read 18 volumes of the Origin Manga and I'll have to say this even if only one people reads it: it's much, much better than both the original series and the movies (which I happen to love). It's more adult, the storytelling is more complex, some characters are more interesting since they have more development in the story (Sleggar, M'Quve, Ramba Ral...and yeah, Ramba was already awesome). It even explains a lot of stuff the original left the audience to fill in the blanks (two entire volumes deal with the rising of the Zabi family, char's childhood, etc).

If they do this right, I don't think anyone will complain once they see the finished product. Sure, I've been wanting Sunrise to finally move on and present to us new stories, either in the late U.C. or an alternative universe....or at least remake F91; make Crossbone or even Hathaway's Flash...

But this is an exception. If this has the same amount of talent and work that Unicorn has, it will be amazing.

Yeah I can also agree with both groups on this as this has a lot of potential, if done well this could be really cool having a slightly improved/fleshed out version of the original storyline animated in modern style, tech and production values like their latest Gundam TV and OVA series 00 and Unicorn depending on length and not just a mini-re-animate here and there just to match the 80s animation. Still I can also understand being mixed in opinion in that I would have been equally or more happy seeing something new or another new AU with a more age-appropriate artistic style since it's Age's art style and not it's story that's messing with my interest in it.

Most importantly as said in the previous post I'm most curious what this is going to be or what kind of scale of project this actually is, is it going to be a short anime project or full one that gets to tell the whole story. It'd be quite interesting to see Unicorn's excellent merging of the old style character designs with modern adjustments even on an obviously somewhat smaller budget if this were a longer project, given that that really did make the old classic style work in a very modern way that did a great job I think pleasing both fans of the original designs and those that started out with non-80's Gundam.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
stararnold wrote:
So far, Tomino did "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Movie Trilogy" as a fix up of the One Year War story, thus decanonizing the "Mobile Suit Gundam" T.V. series from the official UC continuity, but seeing that Yasuhiko's manga will get the anime treatment, is there a possibility that the trilogy itself will be decanonized too or will this new anime start a separate UC continuity?

err....I don't really think that there is, strictly speaking, an offical gundam canon. For instance I remember that some people wondered whether or not the Zeta Gundam movies made ZZ gundam non canon since the end of the Zeta gundam trilogy was significantly different from the Zeta TV series. However i think the offical response to the question was somewhere along the lines of "The canon is whatever you want it to be." However, with regards to the original MSG TV series and trilogy, while there were some differences between the two, there were never any major differences (IMO) because the end result was still pretty much the same. My point is that if you end up liking MSG Origin then it's canon and if you don't then you can consider it an alternate universe or non canon.

Anyway, with regards to the announcement, this has me very excited, and I cannot wait to see how this turns out. However, I will admit that my first choice for a remake would be the Char's Counterattrack movie, or to be more precise an adaptation of its novelization (Beltorchika's Children) with some slight changes to bring it into continuity with the MSG and Zeta TV series.
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Are there any real differences between the the original MSG TV series and the Origin manga? Also, who wants to bet Sayla doesn't have a roll in this because her original voice actress is still dead?
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Gundam canon is basically whatever Sunrise says it is. Technically both the movie and TV version of First Gundam are canon, (generally on the more technical side of things, things like MSV are considered canon enough. The storylines of each are treated almost interchangeably.)

Origin, at least what little I was able to read didn't seem too radically different from the TV series, we got to see Test Type Gundam, and more of Char's backstory, but that was about it. I do hear good things though, so consider me interested.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Are there any real differences between the the original MSG TV series and the Origin manga? Also, who wants to bet Sayla doesn't have a roll in this because her original voice actress is still dead?

So is Bright noa's VA, so they will just recast the characters.
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
Awesome, I just hope it's all new animation and don't cut in 1979 animation (why did they do that in the Z movies?).

All I ask is.
- No bouncy chests...this is war
- Down play the kids
- Be awesome[/list]
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
DTJB wrote:

So is Bright noa's VA, so they will just recast the characters.

I hope that these and the ones who retired will be changed. But for the love of god i hope that they don't pull a Saint Seiya stunt and re-cast the main characters like Amuro Rei (Tohru Furaya) and Char Aznable (Shuuchi Ikeda). I personally don't think that will happen because if i borrow my Japanese friend's statement: Tohru Furaya, and Shuuchi Ikeda are Amuro and Char.

Some might prefer to re-cast all characters but i would see it plain stupid and one way for the series to fail regardless of the amount of work put in it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be honest, I don't mind some cast replacements. The original cast isn't getting any younger. Tohru Furuya might have an ageless voice, but I can't imagine Toshio Furukawa's Kai Shiden being quite as sharp as originally. Banjo Ginga (Giren Zabi) is 62.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Well, to be honest, I don't mind some cast replacements. The original cast isn't getting any younger. Tohru Furuya might have an ageless voice, but I can't imagine Toshio Furukawa's Kai Shiden being quite as sharp as originally. Banjo Ginga (Giren Zabi) is 62.

I agree with some cast changes. Actually i don't mind if they change all of them except for Ikeda and Furuya. But i think that a good part of the original cast can still reprise their roles the same way they have been doing over the years in Gundam and Super Robot Taisen games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3