• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Kamisama Kiss English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
SpacemanHardy, I don't think anyone buys DVDs and expects the best viewing experience possible lol.

True, but for a company who charges as much as Aniplex does because of their boasts of "higher-quality", the end product should at least look better than an old Media Blasters DVD. Did you not look at the screen shot comparisons I posted up? The video is full of artifacting, muddy colors, blurred on-screen text, etc. Any imperfections you see there in those screenshots are made ten times worse on an actual TV. It's just not a good looking product. I've seen Sentai Filmworks DVDs that look better.

Thankfully I was able to rent this instead of buy it from my local anime shop, because if I had paid full price for it, I would have felt very ripped off.

luffypirate85 wrote:
You'd be better off just paying for an HD stream on Crunchyroll.

Not if you wanna watch it in English. Confused
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the screenshots look terrible. Besides what Bandai Visual released during their time here, I've never been impressed by an anime DVD domestically.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
The sad thing is, Aniplex is capable of putting out good-looking DVDs. Their first release of Durarara!! looked very nice.

There shouldn't be any reason why their recent DVD releases are so ugly now. In SAO's case, the authoring for the disc was done by Qtec, the same company who authored the Japanese discs.

Perhaps I'm going a bit too into "conspiracy mode" here, but could this be some sort of ploy that Aniplex is using to discourage buyers from getting the lower priced DVDs and subconsciously convince them to buy the ludicrously-priced bluray sets?

I dunno, I just think that AoA's boasts of "quality" are highly exaggerated. The two things I used to give them credit for - their video and audio quality - have both been nullified by the SAO DVDs and Fate/Zero's lossey English audio. At this point, I literally have NOTHING nice to say about them.

So yeah, even though I'm not really interested in Kamisama Kiss, it's good to see FUNimation going in this direction. Unlike AoA, FUNi is putting out a standard bluray/DVD combo pack alongside this collector's edition, with the exact same on-disc features. That way collectors can buy the LE for the physical stuff, while casual fans can buy the lower-priced variant and get the exact same discs. Which, if you ask me, is how it SHOULD be. None of this "bluray is ONLY for the collectors, DVD is for everyone else" bull crap.

Hopefully FUNi can do this for future titles. I can already imagine Attack on Titan, Space Dandy, and Psycho-Pass having some really nice collector's sets. Smile

Also, other companies are trying this method out as well. VIZ's K release is very nice, and Sentai's Gatchaman and Godannar releases are a step in the right direction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2