• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Mmm, Crunchy!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Taiwan did a live-action version of Hayate the Combat Butler. That's such a stupid funny idea on par with the American Dragonball movie that I'd watch it in a heartbeat. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
No, you misread what I was saying. What I was saying was a slap against Taiwanese television implying that their quality is not up to a level appealing to people outside of its home audience who'd watch out of pride/having nothing else better to watch at the time.

Oh, OK I understand what you mean. Yeah well Taiwan's quality is a bit subpar (It started with a kiss is one example) compare to Korean and Japanese, but Autumn's Concerto seem to hold a candle when compared to their K-drama counterpart. I watch the Taiwanese dramas because they're appealing to me. Autumn's Concerto appeal to me because it kinda reminds me of K-dramas. I first thought you meant that non-Asians don't watch Taiwanese dramas implying all non-Asians are close minded.

Quote:
What does being open-minded have to do with it? Almost every single post you make is all about K-this and K-that and why doesn't Japan do things the way Korea does. It has grown incredibly tiresome.

I thought most anime fans are open-minded to other Asian culture including when other Asian countries adapt anime into live-action. I mean ANN report on when Taiwan and South Korea adapt anime/manga into live-action. I mean that's my impression when dealing with anime fanbase, I met anime fans that liked dramas from Korea and Taiwan.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Taiwan did a live-action version of Hayate the Combat Butler. That's such a stupid funny idea on par with the American Dragonball movie that I'd watch it in a heartbeat. Laughing

That's the correct mindset to watch it with.

(to watch it legitimately as a fan of Hayate no Gotoku would, however, be very much an unfavourable idea)
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Most of the negativity comes from people who think CR's going to double the subscription price and force even paid users to watch ads.

I am curious where the thought about adding ads to streams for paid subscribers came from, since any services that have ads for paid subscribers did so from the beginning. I can't recall a single streaming service that has placed ads in what was previously an ad-free service for premium subscribers.

Raising the subscription price also goes against the flow. As I pointed out in the discussion on CR, all streaming services seem to fall within the $7-$8 per month range, and I doubt any company wants to be the first to venture outside that comfort zone.

I can only attribute these two common fears to people going with their worst case scenario, but it is interesting so many arrive at the same destination, when it appears unlikely many of them read messages from others.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll's reach beyond North America and into non-English speaking markets will also likely get a boost. Less likely, though still possible, is dipping their toes into dubbed anime (although I'd be really shocked if they went to the cost of producing a dub themselves).

Didn't they already do that with 5CM Per Second?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit indifferent about the recent news related to CR and its new investor. As long as there are no significant changes that affect the way the site functions, streams, services, etc then I'm fine the direction it's going. As what I recall, Crunchyroll managed to acquire over 40+ titles which is a record from what I've known from its past history. Its acquisition of both One Piece and Toriko was also a surprise that came later along with its manga service.

I'm still uncertain what direction CR will head into but hopefully for the better. On another note, I hope CR adds more manga to its libraries soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Quote:
(although I'd be really shocked if they went to the cost of producing a dub themselves).

Didn't they already do that with 5CM Per Second?

As I recall, the new dub was commissioned by Comix Wave, not Crunchyroll.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I thought most anime fans are open-minded to other Asian culture including when other Asian countries adapt anime into live-action. I mean ANN report on when Taiwan and South Korea adapt anime/manga into live-action. I mean that's my impression when dealing with anime fanbase, I met anime fans that liked dramas from Korea and Taiwan.

Hell naw, more than a few anime fans are hilariously racist towards any asian race that isn't Japanese.

I'm pretty sure I saw an anime fan on Stormfront, once, when trolling the forums.
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese dramas are too hard to license

I realize this isn't the place for this, but I've always wondered why this is.

Can anyone explain why this is?[/quote]
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Hell naw, more than a few anime fans are hilariously racist towards any asian race that isn't Japanese.

I'm pretty sure I saw an anime fan on Stormfront, once, when trolling the forums.

I hope they weren't brainwashed by right-wing Japanese nationalists.Wink There was a anti-hallyu manga, that was a bit inaccurate on the history.

roujin wrote:
Quote:

Can anyone explain why this is?

Well that is always a mystery to me and other fans of dramas which I will never understand. EDIT 2: Justin Servakis on another thread said this.

jsevakis wrote:
TV dramas starring any guys from Johnny's Entertainment will likely never be released in the US, unless someone is really, really stupid with their money. Johnny's (and their parent company Onjikyou) controls a lot of the rights of the dramas their talent star in, and they have a non-negotiable minimum license fee that is completely out of whack with what a live action foreign TV series would sell in the States.

They do not have such control over movies, however, so those can get licensed. That's why we got the GTO movie in the states, but not the drama, despite it being faaaar better.

Poonk, another ANN users gave some interesting theories on that:

poonk wrote:

Quote:
Now, if only they'd start picking up Japanese dramas...
Second this as well, but (as with Fantastipo mentioned above) with a lot of dramas you run into JE performers and I've heard that's a major roadblock to licensing*. So I've mostly given up hope.

*Something like: JE would want an unreasonable amount of money for the licenses and while the guys are stars in Japan they're pretty much unknowns here so US sales wouldn't support the licensing fees. Not to mention JE's style of tight media control would probably strangle any US company's attempt to market the shows. Even Japanese sites often have to omit/blur/otherwise-alter pictures of Johnnys in their official press releases for shows-- for example, see Kame in 1 2 3 4. I can't fathom why but there you have it. Just imagine trying to get permission to use their pics for promo materials here in the US.

poonk wrote:
agila61 wrote:
I'd heard somewhere that up until about three years ago, drama licensing was a nightmare because contracts did not include international rights, so "female supporting character number 2" could be the hold up on getting the rights. Now that the producers are more likely to be holding the rights, Crunchyroll might be able to expand their licensing of J-dramas.
I think part of the problem is that a lot of J-dramas (especially the ones for which the masses clamor) have someone from Johnnys Entertainment in them. I'm not complaining about that aspect (I actually like a lot of those actors) but supposedly JE is exceptionally difficult to work with. I've seen promo pics for dramas where the Johnnys actor's picture in the cast roster is represented by a silhouette or drawing (ex: Kame & Yamapi as pigs in the Nobuta chart) or altered/blurred digitally (ex: Ikuta Toma's face in the Voice promo). And that's not even outside the country. I can't imagine trying to promote a foreign TV show, with an unknown (to most Westerners) cast and not even being able to use the likenesses of the stars of the show.

poonk wrote:

mdo7 wrote:
It's not only CR, Viki and Dramafever has difficult time getting J-dramas on their sites, I can find few J-dramas on those sites. I'm seeing more Taiwanese dramas being picked up for non-Asian audiences then J-dramas. I never understood why Japan never joined the drama craze when K-dramas got popular outside of Asia.
I think some of the dearth of licensed J-dramas is a Johnny's Entertainment thing. The ones I did manage to find on DramaFever & Crunchyroll seem to have one thing in common: No JE idols in the cast. And let's face it, many if not most of the really popular J-dramas feature at least one or more of them. For whatever reason though, they just don't wanna play ball (or maybe their asking price for the ball is way too high).

poonk wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah most of the J-pop I find on Youtube that are official are about 1 to 2 minute, there are that are longer then that. About the Johnny's, I never understood why they don't play fair. I never understood that, I mean a lot of people that watch K-pop MV usually end up buying the MP3, or the CD. Hell I've seen Itunes having K-pop MVs on there for sales to download like 2NE1, SHINee, etc... Which Johnny Entertainment could learn something from SM and YG Entertainment.
I don't think it's a matter of "fairness", exactly-- if JE wants to include a stipulation in their artists' contracts* that restricts how the final product is distributed, and the production company (or whatever) accepts the terms, that's perfectly fair. And I have to assume even with those terms it's still more profitable to cast JE idols than not-- I mean, they haven't stopped making those dramas and JE hasn't gone bankrupt yet, so...

*(Or whatever it is that makes J-dramas so difficult to license over here. I should note my JE theory is just that, based on ongoing observations. But JE is sorta known for tightly controlling their performers' public image.)

As of now, on CR, Dramafever, and Viki there are few J-dramas and yet the catalog of K-dramas and Taiwanese dramas are bigger then what Japan is giving us. I read it that Japan tend to be over-pricey when they go international, that explain why stuff in Japan are more expensive. Korean and Taiwanese stuff tends to be cheaper from what I've heard and observed. But on CR as I mentioned on one of my post, there was a topic made by CR admin asking CR users if they like J-drama. I don't know if this mean CR will pick up more J-dramas, but if it does, I welcome it, I wish Japan can learn from their Taiwanese and Korean counterpart when it comes to dramas and music exporting.

You know when you ask that question, that would be a interesting question that Answerman should answer:

Why are J-dramas harder to license and stream then K-dramas and Taiwanese dramas? Why is K-dramas and Taiwanese dramas are easier to stream and less stricter then J-dramas?

Would love to see that answer on the next Answerman, that'll help me and Poonk once and for all understand why Japan didn't cash in and ride on the drama fad.

Last edited by mdo7 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
roujin wrote:
Quote:

[/quote]

The general answer I see is mainly due to the fact that live-action actors have to be cleared for international "appearances", i.e. each major actor has to be allowed to be shown outside of Japan. Along with that, though, some of the companies that these actors belong to can be insanely strict with licensing, mainly via astronomical costs. Johnny's is the most well-known of them all. Movies don't have this restriction, though, which is why Media Blasters released GTO: The Movie & Discotek released Hana Yori Dango Final, even though neither of them could release their respective J-Dramas.

The only J-Dramas that have ever been brought over legally to North America that I've seen, not counting the older tokusatsu shows we did get, are Team Astro (which is only available via streaming at DramaFever & Viki [only one episode has been subbed over at Viki, though]) & Moyashimon (which is viewable over at FUNimation & DramaFever). Moyashimon was likely able for streaming only because it was a noitaminA show, which FUNi had a deal with at the time, but maybe Team Astro's streaming licenses is an indication that J-Dramas, even if only a small amount of them, might be viable licenses now.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
roujin wrote:
Quote:

The general answer I see is mainly due to the fact that live-action actors have to be cleared for international "appearances", i.e. each major actor has to be allowed to be shown outside of Japan. Along with that, though, some of the companies that these actors belong to can be insanely strict with licensing, mainly via astronomical costs. Johnny's is the most well-known of them all. Movies don't have this restriction, though, which is why Media Blasters released GTO: The Movie & Discotek released Hana Yori Dango Final, even though neither of them could release their respective J-Dramas.

The only J-Dramas that have ever been brought over legally to North America that I've seen, not counting the older tokusatsu shows we did get, are Team Astro (which is only available via streaming at DramaFever & Viki [only one episode has been subbed over at Viki, though]) & Moyashimon (which is viewable over at FUNimation & DramaFever). Moyashimon was likely able for streaming only because it was a noitaminA show, which FUNi had a deal with at the time, but maybe Team Astro's streaming licenses is an indication that J-Dramas, even if only a small amount of them, might be viable licenses now.

Yeah I've already seen some J-dramas (one that doesn't have Johnnies in them) on CR and Dramafever like the J-drama version of Future diary, and I'm watching Itazura na Kiss, the recent J-dramas, on Hulu. I wish Japanese entertainment agency didn't have a restrictive personality. When it comes to drama, Korea and Taiwan has less restriction then Japan. As of now, K-dramas are the current dominant Asian dramas while Taiwan is catching up and J-dramas are falling behind internationally, this is not to bash Japan but to show that Japan is falling behind on the international scene. I can say the same for pop music.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Hey let's not forget Bloodhound: The Vampire Gigolo (a.k.a. Vampire Host) which actually saw a DVD release by Bandai in 2007, I would guess in an attempt to cash in on Twilight's popularity. That sure was a show...
Sylontack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
It's worth mentioning that Sony Home Entertainment Australia was the same as the American counterpart (very rare, random and oddly packaged/priced releases etc. pretty much the same releases as U.S. Sony too) however very recently they've taken a major 180 and now they're releasing large batches of previously out-of-print and hard to acquire titles (all titles America has gotten again recently too, but almost always those harder to get Geneon Titles that other Australian companies had long dropped). For example we finally caught up on all the Shana releases as of this month and they've re-released titles such as Haibane Renmei, Lain and Texhnolyze which sold for prices just as high over here as they did in America when out of print.

I predict soon they'll start getting titles outside of Funimation titles (they've just released Dokuro-chan and Medaka Box is coming out soon in what is suggested to be a special edition with the amusing product name of Medaka Box-set), and possibly even pick up Higurashi because I believe there were some setbacks with Siren Visual picking up more Higurashi after Season 2 went well for them which happened to be the same time Sony appeared with their whole new "Anime Classics" line with themed slipcases (not to be confused with Funimation's "Anime Classics" line)
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
There was a post on crunchyroll by one of their mods/engineers that is very interesting. http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-830115/questions-on-the-chernin-group-purchase#45078535

Quote:
I couldn't talk about it before but I believe the Chernin Group will be good for Crunchyroll. The plan is to create a web service that replaces traditional Cable TV (and maybe even more). Crunchyroll would be just one of many channels that people can choose to subscribe to and it will continue to be focused on Anime primarily with it's own team dedicated to it. We already came up with that plan and have been working on the service before this came about but Chernin can help realize that goal with proper funding and connections. The service is Second.TV though it's still in the development phase so it's currently too buggy to suggest anyone use for any practical purposes.

However, for the foreseeable future, Crunchyroll will still exist as it's own site and set of apps so there won't be radical changes to Crunchyroll itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4