• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Mmm, Crunchy!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but Crackle doesn't appear to be an HD service either.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but Crackle doesn't appear to be an HD service either.

Just checked their FAQ and it seems they only stream in 360p and 480p, so no they are not HD. They still seem to look better on PS3 than Roku, though.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Just checked their FAQ and it seems they only stream in 360p and 480p, so no they are not HD. They still seem to look better on PS3 than Roku, though.

We watch Crackle off our BD player, it is one of the options.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

We watch Crackle off our BD player, it is one of the options.

MeggieMay is correct, I have a PS3 I watch Crackle on there, and it doesn't have a HD option. I also have a Blu-ray player and I checked Crackle, it's not HD. I see a lot of blurs and low sharpness to know it's SD. So sorry, Crackle is not HD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
I also have crackle on ps3 and it also looks standard definition. shame, but at least it has some good shows. Although they really do need some different commercials. I was using it a while ago and the only commercial I saw was an Edison one for downed power lines...3 times an episode.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
I also have crackle on ps3 and it also looks standard definition. shame, but at least it has some good shows. Although they really do need some different commercials. I was using it a while ago and the only commercial I saw was an Edison one for downed power lines...3 times an episode.

Yeah I agreed, the commercials on there is repetitve, it does change but I wish they could add more variety of commercials on there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I wish Japan can learn from their Taiwanese and Korean counterpart when it comes to dramas and music exporting.
Or from Japan's own car and technology sectors.

Problems licencing certain animes outside Japan have been frequently discussed, and those problems seem to apply to virtually all Japanese entertainment. Convoluted production committees require detailed permission from each stakeholder. And many of the people in charge have a very insular, xenophobic mentality, and will only consider harebrained schemes like setting up their own distribution outlets and demanding ALL TEH MONEYS for standard or less-than-standard product. Anime and videogames are actually some of the more openminded industries in Japan, despite whatever complaints we might have.

(As a fan of classical music, I am aware that Japan makes a lot of recordings (some even released by Japanese branches of foreign labels), but none of them are exported, except by Westerners on their own initiative.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:10 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
I wish Japan can learn from their Taiwanese and Korean counterpart when it comes to dramas and music exporting.
Or from Japan's own car and technology sectors.

Problems licencing certain animes outside Japan have been frequently discussed, and those problems seem to apply to virtually all Japanese entertainment. Convoluted production committees require detailed permission from each stakeholder. And many of the people in charge have a very insular, xenophobic mentality, and will only consider harebrained schemes like setting up their own distribution outlets and demanding ALL TEH MONEYS for standard or less-than-standard product. Anime and videogames are actually some of the more openminded industries in Japan, despite whatever complaints we might have.

(As a fan of classical music, I am aware that Japan makes a lot of recordings (some even released by Japanese branches of foreign labels), but none of them are exported, except by Westerners on their own initiative.)

Well about the car and technology sector. Some of their product couldn't be exported for international consumers. One Nissan car couldn't be exported because it so "unique". Same for Japanese pre-iOS/Android mobile phone, couldn't be exported, they both suffered from Galapago Syndrome (which Japan pretty much infamous for). So yeah the car and tech sector in Japan aren't always open-minded.

So yeah I sort of agreed of you on what you said about the company's production committees and their shareholder (and it doesn't surprise me). I know they tend to overprice thing when any of the items goes international. It really pisses licensors off in the US (I'm sure Funimation get frustrated too when that items is expensive to acquire). From my observation, it seem acquiring a K-drama is much easier then acquiring anime or J-dramas. I never understood Japan's paranoid view on piracy, and really crack down on it, which on the other hand played an active role in the Hallyu. I know Piracy is bad, but it can't be removed from earth even with this continuing evolution of IT/ICT tech sector. Japan will have to face piracy can somewhat play a role to help it's country's images. A few days ago, I read an interesting article about Johnny's Entertainment. This person comment got my attention, I'm going to quote some part of this person comment:

rarnedsoum from Popmatter wrote:
This puts a spin on the control and exclusivity of Japan's music marketing machine, but in actuality, they are just one more example of what's wrong with Japan, Inc.

Because the old stodgy ways, are maintained, Japan has lost out on everything connected to music and entertainment.

How Hallyu Kpop and Kdrama have become what Jpop and Jdrama could have been.

How NHK has not made their shows [dramas] viewable. How FujiTV had English subtitles on their news broadcasts, and then suddenly decided to discontinue them. Meanwhile Al Jazerra has now gained a global audience, that Japan networks could have been...

As long as talent agencies keep hanging on to profits and the old ways, and Japanese consumers don't know better, Japan is going to be in a world of hurt. Japan's cultural irrelevance is only going to get worse.

I seem to agreed with this person view on Japan when it comes to music, drama, and entertainment. Japan is not really an expert in globalization from my observation, other Asian countries like Taiwan and Korea has gotten really smart in the globalization sector.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well about the car and technology sector. Some of their product couldn't be exported for international consumers. One Nissan car couldn't be exported because it so "unique". Same for Japanese pre-iOS/Android mobile phone, couldn't be exported, they both suffered from Galapago Syndrome (which Japan pretty much infamous for). So yeah the car and tech sector in Japan aren't always open-minded.
Thanks for that. There is some stuff that I don't know, but I don't know that I don't know it!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Thanks for that. There is some stuff that I don't know, but I don't know that I don't know it!

I'm kinda surprised you didn't know that, now you know.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4