• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Christmas Anime To Ring In The Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
no love for Ashita no Joe Christmas? I thought it was epic Cool
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
My favourite anime Christmas episode is indeed Urusei Yatsura episode 10, "Pitter Patter Christmas Eve", for the first legitimately touching moment between Ataru and Lum, but Christmas is just happening in the background, really.

Funny, but I was thinking about another Christmas-themed episode in Urusei Yatsura. episode 79, "The Mendo Family's Summer Christmas", where the cast has to spoiler[climb a giant Christmas tree while chained together in pairs].

Before the festive 30-story Christmas tree is spoiler[launched off on a rocket for the summer fireworks, of course]. (Ah, that Ryoko, she's an odd one...) Smile
This is one is SO much more the spirit of UY than "That only non-shrill first season one".
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
And for people who don't have the time, there's Hetalia's Christmas episode detailing Christmas 'round the world. In under five minutes.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Another really good Christmas episode is the episode of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVA titled White Christmas. Tylor is on his way to a Christmas date but gets sidetracked by a young boy who appears to be all alone. Tylor decides to spend some time with the boy and together they have an impromptu sidewalk Christmas party.

You know, I honestly wasn't expecting someone to mention this. Nice to see other people that have seen Tylor.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
trilaan wrote:
Another really good Christmas episode is the episode of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor OVA titled White Christmas. Tylor is on his way to a Christmas date but gets sidetracked by a young boy who appears to be all alone. Tylor decides to spend some time with the boy and together they have an impromptu sidewalk Christmas party.

You know, I honestly wasn't expecting someone to mention this. Nice to see other people that have seen Tylor.

Thought the same thing - kind of surprised that more people haven't seen that show - it's definitely one of the great classic anime (well, at least the TV series).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't have a 7 list but while Tokyo Godfathers is already taking the spot then I'll have to take the Xmas episode in Strawberry Marshmallow.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm partial to the Christmas episodes from both incarnations of Sister Princess, myself.....
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Touma wrote:
Orange Hollow wrote:
Quote:
Even a mostly nonsecular country like Japan

Doesn't "nonsecular" mean religious? Japan is most certainly not that Smile

Religion is a very important part of Japanese society.
When somebody builds a house or starts a new business it is common for them to get a priest to give a blessing.
Things like that are standard in Japan.
Both Shintoism and Buddhism are very important to them.

Notice all of the shrines that you see in anime.Wink

I've operated under the assumption (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Japanese people tend only to pay lip service to Shintoism, as more of a cultural quirk, rather than a truly religious standard. It's more out of tradition than faith.

You've assumed correct; Shinto and Buddhist tradition (and in some cases continued vague superstition) definitely play a large part in the culture, but Japan is still very much a secular nation.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
phia_one wrote:
trilaan wrote:

Thought the same thing - kind of surprised that more people haven't seen that show - it's definitely one of the great classic anime (well, at least the TV series).

Justy Ueki Tylor is my personal Buddha. So, yes, you can always expect me to mention the series. Smile
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I may be late to the party, but I can't believe no-one's mentioned The Disappearance Of Haruhi, which I watch every year. It's like an anime version of It's A Wonderful Life, except it doesn't make me want to vomit.
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
What about Gundam War in the Pocket? that was around Christmas time during the first Zaku battle.

Also couldn't The Disappearance of Haurhi sort of be a Christmas anime? I know it's Dec 12th or so when it is set but don't you get a little Christmas Carol vibe from the movie?

Edit, I posted this before reading the comment above me, yes definitely more "Its a wonderful life" then "A Christmas Carol".
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Is there an anime version of A Christmas Carol? It'd seem like the type of thing that'd be easy to adapt.

Tokyo Godfathers is the best Christmas story, imho.

Superpowered Moms: I'm so excited that Kushina came in 3rd!

Superpowered Dads: I went with Kotetsu, because he's a sweet, good natured guy, but I wish he'd actually live with his daughter.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
What? No one remembering Popotan?
A time and Japan traversing "Christmas Shop"...it's got a busty girl wearing a "Santa" outfit for much of the show... Gotta rate a mention...
...sure... The characters are searching for some sort of special dandelion field.... so there's only one episode that spends enough time in the winter in order to have a Christmas story... and it's based on an eroge, so a healthy portion of the show is more concerned with how often the girls get naked... and the story finale is basically nonsense...

okay, so forget Popotan...

I'm partial to the Christmas/ Yurie-chan Thanksgiving Day episode of Kamichu though. It is a bit silly that Matsuri gets so upset that people don't visit the shrine during Christmas... just a week before the shrine's biggest day of the year. But then, that's Matsuri.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Is there an anime version of A Christmas Carol? It'd seem like the type of thing that'd be easy to adapt.

It would be difficult to imagine Christmas Carol as envisioned through Japanese sensibilities, as Dickens purists would be puzzled by Scrooge's worries that he's not going to have a fireplace date for the evening...

(And why does the dad from Totoro get left off the list, just for not being "super powered"?)
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
A very nice list!

If a second one were to be made, i would suggest the Christmas episode from Toradora. The climactic episode of that Christmas mini-arc has an extremely touching scene that is one of the best anime scenes i have ever seen. If you've seen the show, you probably know that one i'm refering to.

Manly tears may have been shed; i admit to nothing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6