• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2014 Godzilla Remake Film's 1st Teaser Trailer Debuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Looks great, but really hope it doesn't end up being World War Z with Godzilla.

Hey, World War Z turned out to be better than people expected:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=worldwarz.htm

Based on the novel World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

Anyways, they better make Godzilla smart enough. He's not just some dumb animal guided simply by basic instincts. That's what inspires empathy from the audience - he's almost human.

Except, ya know, the movie had nothing to do with the novel of the same name Wink
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Looks awesome!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the "Legendary Pictures" logo at the beginning of a trailer is increasingly a sign for me to avoid that movie entirely because it's going to be "gritty" and Nolan-ized and take itself way too seriously.

I watched the trailer, didn't change my lack of interest, but I really had no intention of seeing a Godzilla movie that's not a campy romp with a guy in a rubber suit anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I watched the trailer, didn't change my lack of interest, but I really had no intention of seeing a Godzilla movie that's not a campy romp with a guy in a rubber suit anyway.

So you've never watched Gojira? A movie that was absolutely NOT a campy romp?

If you want camp, go watch Godzilla '98.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Eh, the "Legendary Pictures" logo at the beginning of a trailer is increasingly a sign for me to avoid that movie entirely because it's going to be "gritty" and Nolan-ized and take itself way too seriously.

On that, at least, we agree. (Although I said it first.)
Think Warner/Legendary is finding out that once seen, "Man of Steel" is something you can't UN-see in their movies anymore... Confused
It takes a lot for a movie to be a "Franchise-Killer", and Dark Knight Rises was just that.

Mr Adventure wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

So you've never watched Gojira? A movie that was absolutely NOT a campy romp?
If you want camp, go watch Godzilla '98.

Even "Godzilla's Revenge" had more respect for the Big Guy than Godzilla '98. Mad
(No, seriously...GINO was trying to run away from the Army??)

Although we all know Godzilla: Final Wars said it best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxhdo4HDgg
("I knew that tuna-eating loser was useless...Next!")
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm the only person who actually liked the '98 version. But this looks very exciting. I can't wait to see the other trailers they release down the line.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Hey, World War Z turned out to be better than people expected:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=worldwarz.htm

Based on the novel World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

Except, ya know, the movie had nothing to do with the novel of the same name Wink

S'why it's "based on," not "adaptation of." Smile
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
S'why it's "based on," not "adaptation of." Smile

'Based on the Title'.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote
World War Z is a poor adaption of the book. It really has nothing to do with it.

It's based on maybe because when they bought the rights, they had different plans. I don't know, they still used the title. I guess the UN aspect and traveling the world is still there. I don't know. Maybe the more "realistic" aspect as well.

It wasn't a bad movie though. Perfectly decent zombie action movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I think I'm the only person who actually liked the '98 version..

I thought it was a lot of fun...I had the novel version and a toy of one of the baby godzillas...I had it confiscated by a teacher because I kept snapping pencils with it and never got it back...
The cartoon was awesome too, by the same studio that made the men in black cartoon. James Stokoe's Godzilla comic is pretty good too.

That being said, this movie looks like it will be more 'serious' than 'fun', but the trailer is really compelling, I think it looks great. A lot of people at class today were already complaining about it just because its American (the director is british, btw.)
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
Godzilla '98 is only 'good' in terms of 90s summer blockbuster trash. Its no Armageddon or Independence Day though.

Its a TERRIBLE Godzilla film.

The same way Stallone Judge Dredd is a TERRIBLE Judge Dredd movie.
LaSean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:43 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

On that, at least, we agree. (Although I said it first.)
Think Warner/Legendary is finding out that once seen, "Man of Steel" is something you can't UN-see in their movies anymore... Confused
It takes a lot for a movie to be a "Franchise-Killer", and Dark Knight Rises was just that.

What???? Confused How is The Dark Knight Rises a Franchise Killer?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
Dark Knight Rises was pretty bad. But it definitely wasn't a franchise killer, it made to much damn money for that. WB is just focusing on Superman at the moment. In fact they're so focused on Superman that their going to use Batman to draw in MORE audience. Which of course will get them on track for a JLA movie.

Batman is an absurd cashcow.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Now this feels like a real Godzilla movie!

I like how the new trailer feels like it is going back to the basics of Godzilla's origins and the trailer feels like it is the original Godzilla movie from 1954 being made today and judging by the tone established in the trailer, it's going to be pretty dark and really, judging by this Godzilla's size, I really don't think the army stands any chance because this Godzilla makes that imposter from the Roland Emmerich film look like a real pussy in comparison! I mean seriously, this Godzilla looks like he won't be taken down as easily as the last one judging by his size! He's freaking big!

I really love how the director is purposely holding back showing the full view of Godzilla to build up the tension and anticipation for fans demanding a full view of his face and judging by the reception, I think the wait to see this Godzilla in full view will be worth it.

Anyways, the director confirms that Godzilla will be facing off against two giant insect monsters and I am definitely betting that the next trailer will have that and I can't wait to see it.

All hail the king of the monsters! Godzilla's back for real!
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
Let's just hope it won't be like the 1998 version.

It won't be. Unlike that bastard Emmerich, the staff behind Legendary Pictures are working very closely with TOHO in order to maintain the company's appreciation for its iconic monster.

If it's not approved by TOHO, it's not in the movie. There won't be a last-minute bait and screw that Emmerich pulled.

As for the news, I'm excited. I don't go to the movies often as I used to, but Godzilla will definitely get me out of my home to see on the big screen.

Especially since it's the real Godzilla.

Though, I'm hoping that roar is fixed. It sounds a little off to me. Godzilla's roar is unmistakable and that's not it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3