• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - The Hard Life of an Anime Director

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:52 am Reply with quote
The radiation from Fukushima cannot be helping health matters in Japan, either...

I have a strong feeling that the environmental impacts of this are being sorely under-reported.

The story's still developing there. It's much, much bigger than what's being admitted to, I fear. Won't become dominant story until it hits a lot of other countries hard -- when they can't afford to ignore it.

The @#$@ should be flying now but everybody seems to have their heads in the sand on that one.

Satoshi Kon's passing was the one that really surprised me. 46-year-old guy really coming into his own.
I was impressed by what little of his personalized work I saw... and he also appeared to be the only anime feature director besides Miyazaki that delivered consistent, quality entertainment in his feature work.

I'm not generally big an anime features. As hit-and-miss as the TV shows can be, the batting record for feature films seems to be worse.

I can see that POV was somewhat short-sighted.
Liked what I saw in Summer Wars and bought Wolf Children based on that...

As far as European animation goes, it's as hit-and-miss as the US.
(The Titanic animated films are execrable... all you have to do is watch bits and pieces of the YouTube and you'll understand. It was in bad taste to make them the way they were constructed but the final product is beyond bad... some of the worst animation I've seen.)
The French stuff seems to be entertaining but be prepared for very eccentric rides through those films! The Triplets of Belleville is among the most bizarre films I've ever seen. Charming but very strange!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Not a director or even an animator but Seki Tomokazu always says that smoking is what gave him his voice. But whenever he says it I get really sad thinking how he is putting himself at risk. Sad

Yes. =(((( I'm so sad that Suzuki Tatsuhisa smokes... I mean, it fits his image, I guess, but he didn't always have that "bad boy" image. I think it mostly started when he began singing with OLDCODEX since all the guys there smoke.

Makes me worry about the non-smoking seiyuu around them. Second-hand smoke kills.

GeorgeC wrote:
The radiation from Fukushima cannot be helping health matters in Japan, either...

I'm inclined to say that areas away from the nuclear plants are fairly safe.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
I'd say all animators either directing or physically animating a show have some sort of vice. An extra tick that steadies the hand or gives you a brief moment of clarity before pushing on.

I imagine the Naruto filler animators are the ones who are perfect in every way. Smug and alert, leading a healthy smoke free life and churning out a show destroying product in the process. One episode at a time.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:00 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
I'm so sad that Suzuki Tatsuhisa smokes... I mean, it fits his image, I guess, but he didn't always have that "bad boy" image. I think it mostly started when he began singing with OLDCODEX since all the guys there smoke.

Makes me worry about the non-smoking seiyuu around them. Second-hand smoke kills.

You can see a bit of the change over the years in the "making of" sections of Animelo Summer Live videos - it appears that smoking is no longer allowed anywhere inside Saitama Super Arena whereas you would previously see people Kishow from Granrodeo smoking inside.

Masami Okui from JAM Project still apparently smokes, but thankfully most younger voice actors and anime singers are not smokers.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm crossing off Japan as one of the places I want to go visit. I can't help it, my ass-mar's so sensitive that I can't stand near a smoker without coughing. Then again, masks seem to be readily available.

Anyways, informative article but I don't know part of me lately has been wanting to go into the cartoon industry (North American of course). I'm still experimenting in college though and seeing what I like so I'm not jumping the gun just yet.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Now that you mention it, I have a picture of Mamoru Hosoda smoking:

I've a vague memory of something similar for Morio Asaka too.
That's a very old photo of him there. He's a bit more middle aged now with a family to go with that.

I'll add my ta-pence to what Jason explained about Freelance Directors staying, or playing the field. There is another aspect for that and it has to do with a director becoming a producer as well. Most producers will stick with a studio that gives them the service and means to create their "big Idea", or "Next Big Blockbuster" at a cost they can afford and the more a studio can and do give that final result the more a producer, or a director who is also the producer will stay at that studio. The very moment that should fail he's off to find a replacement ASAP. Now as for the director who doesn't have a "grand idea" and just hires himself out to a studio, or producer who has, the one word with only two letters they find that chokes in their throat most is "no" because freelancers can never tell when they will get the next job offer so they will work any bookings they can as long as it's not at the same time, the only time they can say "no" to work. Ya can't be in two studios at the same time, can ya?

The only freelancers I know that can take a vacation are either the ones what got a big payment for services rendered, or have worked themselves to near death, or got no bookings at all for weeks, or months on end. All strive for the first, so all end up doing the second, to try and avoid ending up like the third. Nice work if you can get it. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Nice book. And out of print?

Long so. It was published by Shueisha in 2001 (ISBN 4-08-779095-9):
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4087790959

Tenchi wrote:
his hands were full so he couldn't flick away the ash and was just letting it burn so by the time he'd finished the drawing, the cigarette was mostly ash that somehow stayed together and was kind of drooping down like an elephant's trunk.

There are tales of politicians and lawyers pushing wire into a cigar to stop the ash from dropping to distract people from what they are actually saying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Well, I'm crossing off Japan as one of the places I want to go visit. I can't help it, my ass-mar's so sensitive that I can't stand near a smoker without coughing. Then again, masks seem to be readily available.

I just came back from my third trip there, trust me you are not surrounded by second hand smoke.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Well, I'm crossing off Japan as one of the places I want to go visit. I can't help it, my ass-mar's so sensitive that I can't stand near a smoker without coughing.

Don't write off Japan. I'm so sensitive to tobacco that if you can smell old smoke in a room or on a person it is enough to make me sick. When I visit Tokyo I have far less exposure to tobacco smoke than I do in the U.S.

Plus Tokyo can be very inexpensive to visit. i typically do 3 week trips for less than $2800 for all essentials. Toys and gifts are not in that part of the budget.

http://www.koyagi.com/TokyoCheap.html
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised the response to the international animation question didn't mention Canada. Canada produces quite a few animated shows that are aired on American television: Total Drama Island, Braceface, Totally Spies!, just to name a few. They also frequently animate shows for American audiences: My Little Pony, Arthur, Ed, Edd n Eddy, etc.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
No love for Yobi the five tailed fox?
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Echoing the chorus here that although Japan has a reputation for heavy smoking, the week I spent in Tokyo was blissfully second-hand smoke free. I n ever saw anyone smoking and never smelled fresh cigarette smoke (older buildings occasionally had the lingering old-smoke smell, though).
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
I'm surprised the response to the international animation question didn't mention Canada. Canada produces quite a few animated shows that are aired on American television: Total Drama Island, Braceface, Totally Spies!, just to name a few. They also frequently animate shows for American audiences: My Little Pony, Arthur, Ed, Edd n Eddy, etc.

The main setback about animation from other countries is that they are so synonymous with animation from America there is little point in importing them. Canada, France, and other countries produce cartoons which are not really different or unique from the shows America animates. They are still bound towards a strict market of children, with the occasional crude adult sitcom show such as Producing Parker. I've seen dozens of cartoons from France and Italy and other European countries, and none of them really caught my eye in the way anime has, because they just feel like what you would find on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network show but in a different language. It's also unfortunate a large number of these shows are produced on the cheap, in programs such as Flash or CG. There seems to be very little reason to release these shows in America when America already has such a saturation of them. Does America need to import the latest children's comedy show from France when Cartoon Network can just make their own? Evidently not.

Japan is the only country that really does what it does, and partly why I find their industry so fascinating. I find I agree with Answerman in that the sense that fans come first which helped it grow to be the giant it is today. One just needs to look at them turning a blind eye to the doujinshi market to see that. In addition you see just how much effort goes into appealing to their peripheral market and it's very clear fans are being catered to. I can tell you right now those sexy cast-off figures of the female characters are not being aimed at the 8 year old children who those shows are being aimed for. The modus operandi in the west, however, seems to be to flat out ignore the people who watch your show if they do not fit into the pigeonholed target audience, which seems to be such a waste of potential marketing gold.

This mindset seems to apply to American companies handling anime as well. Releasing an anime without the original language track is unheard of in this day and age, unless it's from a company the anime community has such vehement hated for such as 4Kids. Most of the non-English, non-Japanese cartoons released here do not get that. As far as I am aware, Totally Spies, Code Lyoko, and Winx Club are not available subtitled in their original language on home video in the states. There just frankly is zero market for foreign animation that isn't from Japan here.

Last edited by Guile on Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
When I visit Tokyo I have far less exposure to tobacco smoke than I do in the U.S.

Really? I've experienced the opposite. Just riding the train, I smell smoke off people in my vicinity almost every day.
ReverseTitan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
Well, I'm crossing off Japan as one of the places I want to go visit. I can't help it, my ass-mar's so sensitive that I can't stand near a smoker without coughing.

Don't write off Japan. I'm so sensitive to tobacco that if you can smell old smoke in a room or on a person it is enough to make me sick. When I visit Tokyo I have far less exposure to tobacco smoke than I do in the U.S.

Plus Tokyo can be very inexpensive to visit. i typically do 3 week trips for less than $2800 for all essentials. Toys and gifts are not in that part of the budget.

http://www.koyagi.com/TokyoCheap.html

Well you're comparing a country with 317 million to a city with 36 million, so it's obviously made to fit into your bias, even though the US consumes considerably less tobacco than Japan(on a per captia scale) because of super strict smoking laws, although 101 Dalmations seemed to be rather casual in its approach to smoking. There isn't much smoking in the US and I've been the pretty much every major city in the States and I saw moderate amounts of smoking at best. Regardless of what I see, however, the fact remains on a per captia, smoking is more common in Japan than the States. Same with Canada. No matter how much Canadians want to think they are different from Americans(which they're aren't) they still share an aversion for smoking, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4