• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Streams 3rd Beyond the Boundary: Idol Trial Short

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm disinclined to accept what you have to say, frankly, because you still haven't said why, under the assumption that your accusation is correct, it's a bad thing for KyoAni to have decided that it's okay to sexualize male bodies instead of female bodies.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

My point is that it's not necessarily "either/or". KyoAni's shows are no longer adaptations that we can easily point to as being clearly for one demographic or the other because of the "magazine it ran in" or the "label it was published under".

True. I don't think I can really say anything other than it seemed clearly aimed at otaku (besides this short) to me.

musouka wrote:
Are you trying to make the argument that any sort of nudity is fanservice?

No, but it blows my mind that anyone can argue that this scene isn't fanservice. The guy looks like he was ripped straight out of Free! The close up ass shots and various errrm poses. Yeah, it seems like fanservice to me regardless of what the joke was.
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
No, but it blows my mind that anyone can argue that this scene isn't fanservice. The guy looks like he was ripped straight out of Free! The close up ass shots and various errrm poses. Yeah, it seems like fanservice to me regardless of what the joke was.

A handsome pervert is still a pervert. The joke is that he's perverted and doing perverted, gross things, not that he's attractive and what he is doing is attractive.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

A handsome pervert is still a pervert. The joke is that he's perverted and doing perverted, gross things, not that he's attractive and what he is doing is attractive.

It seems we're at an impasse. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I still don't think the joke matters. It's still fanservice.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
The joke is there but only as an excuse for more and blatant fanservice.
That's it.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:19 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
strawberry-kun wrote:

While you are in some ways correct, I'd feel more comfortable agreeing with this if the show MAJOR SPOILER spoiler[didn't expect us to buy that Mirai's TRUE LOVE for the just-as-perverted and creepy protagonist was the key to saving the world]

So yeah its kinda gross in the main show too.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
Rivailloli, it is an objective fact that the girls hardly showed any skin.

You're using that word and just, I don't think you quite know what it means. Because we have seen quite a bit of her skin, and then some of the other girls. That is an objective fact that can be shown through screenshots of episodes.
Heinzendegger wrote:

It can't be even compared to the level Hiroomi got in the special, not to mention the details.
The closest that came to fanservice was Akkey's mom, but really, none of the others were sexual, or explicit.
There isn't "plenty for men", there is hardly any little bit even.

Your mental gymnastics are quite impressive. Really. I'm thoroughly impressed.
Heinzendegger wrote:

Get your eyes or sex drive fixed.

My eyes aren't the one who needs fixing, friend. Wink

strawberry-kun wrote:
Rivailloli wrote:
I also rarely see women in forums throwing a fit over something as dumb as a seven minute short that isn't even included in the series.

How many shows aimed at women have a 7 minute short of a girl in the series running around with barely any clothes on? I'm going to guess none.

I can't even think of a female work that got freaking shorts, hell, most shows I know of didn't even get shorts like this, but the majority of people who seemed to like Project K were women, and there was quite a bit of Neko running around naked in that, and I didn't really see anyone complain and refuse to watch it just cause of her. That was in the official anime too.
strawberry-kun wrote:
I never said that there was no fanservice. I said that it's not a fanservice show. Highschool DxD is a fanservice show. Strike Witches is a fanservice show. Free! is a fanservice show. Beyond the Boundary is not. You even admitted that there's nothing near as ridiculous as the 7 minutes of nudity in this video which was exactly my point.

That's not my point at all, reread what I was arguing against. Your comment about there not being nearly as much skin shown in the official anime when in actuality there was quite a bit shown.

I never admitted that, I said that there wasn't a full seven minutes straight through.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:

I can't even think of a female work that got freaking shorts, hell, most shows I know of didn't even get shorts like this, but the majority of people who seemed to like Project K were women, and there was quite a bit of Neko running around naked in that, and I didn't really see anyone complain and refuse to watch it just cause of her. That was in the official anime too.

I vaguely recall seeing complaints about that actually. You don't have to believe me obviously, and I don't know much about the show to be honest, so I wouldn't know how the scenes compare to this.

Rivailloli wrote:
That's not my point at all, reread what I was arguing against. Your comment about there not being nearly as much skin shown in the official anime when in actuality there was quite a bit shown.

I never admitted that, I said that there wasn't a full seven minutes straight through.

There is nothing comparable to this short in the series that I can remember. I stand by my statement. There were some fanservice scenes, but they weren't anywhere near as racy as this short and didn't last like seven freaking minutes. Maybe I missed some close up ass shots of the girls while striking various poses that highlight their assets, but I don't think I did.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Maybe I missed some close up ass shots of the girls while striking various poses that highlight their assets, but I don't think I did.

The only ass close-up was of Akkey's mom.
Once again, not exactly otaku material, you know how "popular" christmas cakes or mothers are with them. But I guess that's not the topic on hand.
Still it didn't compare to this short, I can't believe there are people who actually try to argue that.

My use of "objective" was of course misused, since someting that people can perceive and form of opinion about can't really be objective, but this is probably as close as one can say.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
I guess after Free! they just couldn't help themselves anymore...I approve.

Indeed. I have to say I enjoyed this. Hiromi is easily shaping up to be my favorite part of BtB.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Now, that... was an experience.

Poor Akihito.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Made more sense than the finale. Yup, girls can get fanservice, too. Tomoko would approve! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3