• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - La Vie en Rogue

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
But you apparently do not know how to separate a quote from people talking about the contents of the quote.

No, it seems you didn't read the post very well. Here's Zac's post:

Zac wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Name one person, in the anime or this forum, that has excused or defended Akatsuki's actions.

You.

From your first post:

Quote:

I enjoyed some aspects of it:
- the OP protagonist who is powerful as hell, and DOESN'T get pushed around by women is surprisingly refreshing.
- a protagonist who's surrounded by beautiful women and DOESN'T run away at the slightest sight of panties is also a welcomed addition.

"Doesn't get pushed around by women" - he sexually assaults them

"Surrounded by beautiful women and DOESN'T run away" - he sexually assaults them

The bold part is what I wrote. The italic part are extracted when what I wrote (the bold part). The underlined part is what Zac turned what I wrote (the italic part) into.

You have no idea what airquotes are and what they mean gramatically. "What he turned the quote into" -- AKA "his interpretation and commentary of the quote, not what you were saying which was put in airquotes right next to it for all to see"

Are you unable to separate quotes from commentary on quotes and interpretations? I'm saying this as clearly as I can, here, and if you're really this dense than that really does explain a lot about how this thread went where it did.

He simply posted what those quotes read like to him and put them in context to the contents of the actual show in discussion.

He was directly commenting (not quoting) on what you were saying.

He drew his conclusions from what you were saying and you're saying he's putting words in your mouth when it's pretty clear it's what he thinks your quotes implied.

Last edited by Kitsunelaine on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Me not saying something is not a semantic. I either said it, or didn't. Claiming I implied it is another matter. Also, I combated the heck out of the claims, but you people just like to pretend I didn't. Odd.

Say we're all watching this show in the same room together.

We come upon a scene where the hero sexually assaults one of the female characters in the show by grabbing her tits. She screams, then coos.

ME: "Welp, I'm done."

YOU: "I find this to be a refreshing and entertaining change of pace from the norm."

ME: "What? Why?"

YOU: "I'm just tired of wimpy male leads that let women push them around! This guy's powerful and doesn't let them just beat on him."

ME: "That's your response to the male lead sexually assaulting that woman?"

YOU: "Well I'm not condoning his actions, I'm just saying I find his actions refreshing and entertainingly different! Sexual assault is terrible and I would never do it or condone it in real life, but watching this guy do it is fun and a nice change of pace!"

ME: "You're gross."

This is what's going on here.

Quote:

Where the heck did THAT come from? I assume you're using a person I disagree with politically as Men's Rights Activist. What does that have to do with anything?

The way you argue and most of the rhetoric you're spouting comes directly from a person I disagree with politically forums. I don't necessarily think you're part of that but it's an extremely similar tone, attitude and delivery style.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:
Stall_19 wrote:
Man, I'm starting to believe the moderators enjoy these kind of train-wreck threads. Just ban the dude or give him a timeout or whatever. This is completely pointless and is getting no one anywhere. This should have been put to bed a few days ago.

My bet is they're letting the thread continue because it hasn't yet reached a point where people have devolved ENTIRELY to deserve a lock or a time-out.

I would argue dude deserved a timeout the second he said said a woman should not review the show. That's just sexist. No other way to look at it. 2 days later and the same points are being argued. Pointless.

I don't think it would be a considered a quick trigger to give a timeout to someone who said something blatantly sexist.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:

How do you read?Are you unable to separate quotes from commentary on quotes and interpetations?

I read quite well. It's you who seems to be misunderstanding something. I asked for someone to show me a post where someone defends and excuses Akatsuki's actions. Zac responded with a post I made in which I neither defend nor condone. His interpretation of what I wrote, while plausible, doesn't actually have anything to do with the question asked, unless by using said interpretation he is implying that I enjoyed Akatsuki sexually assaulting the girls. Something that I stated 4 times already that I did not.
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Stall_19 wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
Stall_19 wrote:
Man, I'm starting to believe the moderators enjoy these kind of train-wreck threads. Just ban the dude or give him a timeout or whatever. This is completely pointless and is getting no one anywhere. This should have been put to bed a few days ago.

My bet is they're letting the thread continue because it hasn't yet reached a point where people have devolved ENTIRELY to deserve a lock or a time-out.

I would argue dude deserved a timeout the second he said said a woman should not review the show. That's just sexist. No other way to look at it. 2 days later and the same points are being argued. Pointless.

I don't think it would be a considered a quick trigger to give a timeout to someone who said something blatantly sexist.

While this is a fine standpoint, I don't think stuff like this should just go silenced. It should be combated, so that people are actually told and explained to about why it's a bad thing. And when it's clear that everything is going nowhere, there's when you lock the thread.

DmonHiro wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:

How do you read?Are you unable to separate quotes from commentary on quotes and interpetations?

I read quite well. It's you who seems to be misunderstanding something. I asked for someone to show me a post where someone defends and excuses Akatsuki's actions. Zac responded with a post I made in which I neither defend nor condone. His interpretation of what I wrote, while plausible, doesn't actually have anything to do with the question asked, unless by using said interpretation he is implying that I enjoyed Akatsuki sexually assaulting the girls. Something that I stated 4 times already that I did not.

Actually, saying something is REFRESHING means it's a "nice change of pace" which is directly defending the direction the writers took.

Please stop trying to pretend you didn't say what you actually said and accept that if that's not what you meant then you made a mistake. I do not get why you are so hung up on this.

Last edited by Kitsunelaine on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac's little role playing above was actually quite accurate, and a heck of a lot more civilized then the rest of the forum. In that conversation, after being called gross, I would answer with "Yeah, I guess", and that would be the end of it. Nobody said that I enjoyed sexual assault, or that I condone it.

For the record, I had to google a person I disagree with politically. Read a little, and they do have some fair points (custody and alimony).

Last edited by DmonHiro on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Jeez the thread moves fast.

Rextyn wrote:
This what amuses me to no end about you a person I disagree with politically goons. You fancy yourselves to be clever, teflon-coated masters of rhetoric. But anyone can see what you're on about.

What did DmonHiro ever say or imply to come across as a Men's Rights Activist?

You label him a a person I disagree with politically but he's not arguing about men's rights here. Nor is the series in question, the wider argument or even the thread about men's rights. Do you have any reason to bring men's rights in here?

Rextyn wrote:
So, you admire the alpha male in your gross show so much, ok, then man up and emulate him. Just proudly announce to all, without any of your transparent handwaving "I really enjoy watching shows where the main narrative gimmick is women being sexually assaulted, and I'm willing to spend a bunch of my time asserting that the sexual assault of women is a perfectly legitimate theme in pop culture entertainment." Quit being a pussy.

I find it strange that you think you are somehow privy to DmonHiro's innermost thoughts.

DmonHiro doesn't want to emulate Akatsuki. He said he found Akatsuki to be a refreshing male lead in that he wasn't the usual milquetoast loser, but DmonHiro also said that he doesn't condone what Akatsuki did. He has made this pretty clear multiple times. Heck, DmonHiro even said in his first post of the thread - the one that started it all - that thought Akatsuki was a dick and that he would have preferred less boobs. Hardly the thoughts of someone who secretly wants to go out and molest people.

Adaminator1 wrote:
...in a surge of overdefensiveness...

Uh, what? When has he been overly defensive?
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
"Sexual assault is wrong, I don't condone that! Unless it's against fictional women in my Chinese Cartoons, then it's totally fine."

That is just an outright baffling level of cognitive dissonance.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Zac's little role playing above was actually quite accurate, and a heck of a lot more civilized then the rest of the forum. In that conversation, after being called gross, I would answer with "Yeah, I guess", and that would be the end of it. Nobody said that I enjoyed sexual assault, or that I condone it.

For the record, I had to google a person I disagree with politically. Read a little, and they do have some fair points (custody and alimony).

Great, so let's just call this one here.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Great, so let's just call this one here.

Agreed, I'm out. No hard feelings, Zac.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
"Sexual assault is wrong, I don't condone that! Unless it's against fictional women in my Chinese Cartoons, then it's totally fine."

That is just an outright baffling level of cognitive dissonance.

Not really. Let me use a video game example:

"Killing people is wrong, I don't condone that! Unless it's against fictional characters or other players in my American Video Games, then it's totally fine."

That level of cognitive dissonance is perfectly normal amongst gamers and is recognised by most people as being harmless.

And besides, DmonHiro has repeatedly said that he didn't like the sexual assault in Aesthetica. Like, the very first post he made in the thread said that, so he can't be guilty of backtracking.

Edit:

Yay, we can get the thread back after all these pages.

So . . . who's up for talking about Golgo and how he's a refreshing character because he doesn't take no crap from no-one? [j/k]

Last edited by dtm42 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kitsunelaine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Glad we got this sorted out. Hope it doesn't start up again. I admit I may have initially misread what the post I replied to was referencing in the giant quoted post, for which I apologise if that is the case.

Last edited by Kitsunelaine on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And besides, DmonHiro has repeatedly said that he didn't like the sexual assault in Aesthetica. Like, the very first post he made in the thread said that, so he can't be guilty of backtracking.

No, he said he found it "refreshing"

Please, he's doing a fine job digging a hole all by himself, he doesn't need you down in there with him digging it deeper.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

No, he said he found it "refreshing"

Please, he's doing a fine job digging a hole all by himself, he doesn't need you down in there with him digging it deeper.

Actually, in that first post he said he only disliked the sexual harrassment because

1) There was too much of it (so there is a set amount of SH that is fine, apparently)
2) The MC only did it for the sake of being a dick. If he did it for the sake of his own sexual pleasure, he wouldn't have minded it too much (he did say this exact thing a few posts later)

But yeah, let's get this over with, god knows this discussion has been 15 pages too long.
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

rydia251 wrote:
@DmonHiro

Love your fansubs, and even support your 720p stance - keep it up.

However, it is time to let this one go.

Thanks, but I don't actually fansub. I rip. And yes, I should go to bed already. Have a good one everyone.

I know you are a ripper, was just using "fansubs" in the generic sense. Still, you are an important member of the community, and are responsible for a number of BD rips we would otherwise not have. I am always surprised to see you as a regular ANN poster under your "real" name.

Still, time to give this one up, it's like 4AM in Bucharest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18