• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - La Vie en Rogue

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
No, he said he found it "refreshing"

Just for the record, in DmonHiro's first post of the thread he said that a powerful male lead who didn't shy away from women was refreshing. He did not say that Akatsuki molesting girls was refreshing. Quite the opposite in fact. He said he didn't like how Akatsuki tried to solve every problem with sexual assault.

I think if people had read his post properly then the argument would not have turned out this way. Most of the outrage was based on what they think he said rather than what he did say.

CrowLia wrote:
But yeah, let's get this over with, god knows this discussion has been 15 pages too long.

Agreed.
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

So . . . who's up for talking about Golgo and how he's a refreshing character because he doesn't take no crap from no-one? [j/k]

Just thinking about Golgo 13 makes me blush. And yes I am a straight male. Embarassed
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, show's over? Okay then...

This is why I miss The Stream. Those discussion topics could get really awesome.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
who are we kidding most people that are leaving this comments would never go to convention.

Hey, I'm sure their moms would drive them if they keep their grades up and do all their chores.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
who are we kidding most people that are leaving this comments would never go to convention.

Hey, I'm sure their moms would drive them if they keep their grades up and do all their chores.

HA! Very nice. Maybe if their grades are extra good lets they will get some spending money and their curfew raised. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
this is thread is the worst thing I've seen since I watched Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
@thenix

concatenating this because it was really long.

ATastySub I am very glad you responded, and responded very well to me. I feel like we can have an actual conversation. I'm not here to flame or be angry or anything I actually want conversation and feel like I've been ignored mostly.

I felt you didn't read what I originally posted because of the copy of the misquote and misunderstanding. I think an understanding we might come to on our opinions of the show might come from how we see the show. It seems you see the show as a way to get boobs to viewers. I wouldn't say that's wrong, in fact I would say it's right but I think there is more to the show. Lately I've seen a couple of shows that seem like they would be great if they took out the fanservice. My unproven theory was that they took ideas from creators who didn't originally use fan service, then told them to add fan service because it sells. Said creator wants money and for his show to be on air and agrees. That could be completely wrong but that's my hypothesis.

That being said I think I liked it despite the fan service. You would have to believe me that I don't care about the fan service. At a time I will admit I did, but at this point in my life I'm married, I don't have need for it. Lately I've been watching random newer anime series without knowing a thing going into it, and if it intrigues me a bit I'll keep watching. With fan service anime I try to look beyond the fan service and see if the actual story is worth watching. This goes with you saying that other shows with bad morals are OK because it's not the focus of the show. In this case I'd say fan service, and other parts of the show are about 50:50 and that's a bad ratio but there is something else there to enjoy.

As you stated I know the difference between violence and molestation, but my point wasn't comparing what is worse or saying that they are the same thing. My point was both are bad and if you are saying a show isn't worth watching simply because it has molestation then that logic should carry over to a show isn't worth watching because it has murder in it. It may have justification that it's a good guy beating up a bad guy, it's saving the earth or whatever the context may be but it has murder none the less. Take that as you will but the point is showing an extreme for a similar argument. One scene of murder doesn't disqualify a series.

I think that covers everything but to summarize the main difference is you think the show has 2 parts, sex and reasons to show sex. I think the show has 2 parts, sex and the rest of the story that is mostly unrelated. I think I can ignore the sex, and enjoy the show for what else is there at my opinion of if the rest of the show is worth watching. I don't know if this has lead to an understanding or not but I'd love to hear back either way.
thenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
"Sexual assault is wrong, I don't condone that! Unless it's against fictional women in my Chinese Cartoons, then it's totally fine."

That is just an outright baffling level of cognitive dissonance.

This is not the right argument though I believe it is how you see it.

This is the actual arguement "Sexual assault is wrong, I don't condone that, or the watching of it! Unless it's against fictional women in my Chinese Cartoons, then it's totally fine to watch it."

Watching it happen and doing it are different things. Watching it happen in real life and being entertained by it, and watching it happen fictionally and being entertained by it are 2 different things. People watch Dexter where a dude murders other people. That's ok, they aren't murdering people and they aren't watching an actual murder but the fictional reenactment of one. People watch Survivor and that's ok. People don't want to actually take random other people and drop them on an island and watch them survive, they want to watch other people in that situation (even though it's not fake it's consented too)
PCGOD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
This post is dead, way dead, although I was amused to see that the same discussion occurred more than a year prior with the same characters over the same show:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1160319&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
I only wish Golgo13 could strike up the same controversy. He's a hired-assassin after all.
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Almost forgot amongst all this mess - I need to place my Little Witch Academia order. Had a tab open to the Trigger website on my iPad for a while now as a reminder.

Of course this is not exciting/controversial enough to keep the thread going, but I am trying to keep this week from being too boring...

Golgo 13 is awesome. James Bond is a p$&@y by comparison.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
I wonder, if only adult men should be allowed to review Aesthetica, are only pedophiles allowed to criticize Boku no Pico?
rydia251

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
Yes?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Let's not get into this again.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
thenix wrote:
Watching it happen and doing it are different things. Watching it happen in real life and being entertained by it, and watching it happen fictionally and being entertained by it are 2 different things. People watch Dexter where a dude murders other people. That's ok, they aren't murdering people and they aren't watching an actual murder but the fictional reenactment of one. People watch Survivor and that's ok. People don't want to actually take random other people and drop them on an island and watch them survive, they want to watch other people in that situation (even though it's not fake it's consented too)

Except Dexter is much closer to Light from Death Note, and what have we learned about him?
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Hmm...Little Witch Academia, it looks interesting, not sure if I should watch right away or just until the sequel comes out and then watch them both, but I'll try to remember this one...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18