• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - La Vie en Rogue

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
an·i·me
/ˈanəˌmā/
noun

1. Japanese movie and television animation.

2. A medium so overstuffed with pathetic, wimpy leads who are literally afraid of sex that certain people will applaud an asshole sex-offender just by contrast.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
A medium so overstuffed with pathetic, wimpy leads who are literally afraid of sex that certain people will applaud an asshole sex-offender just by contrast.

It does not seem to be the case anymore. Like I said, there haven't been any wimpy male leads afraid of sex in a while. At least not like there was in the 90s.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
A medium so overstuffed with pathetic, wimpy leads who are literally afraid of sex that certain people will applaud an asshole sex-offender just by contrast.

It does not seem to be the case anymore. Like I said, there haven't been any wimpy male leads afraid of sex in a while. At least not like there was in the 90s.

Yet exhaustion with that character type is your rationale for enjoying the antics of someone who "isn't afraid of sex" which in the show translates to "sexually assaults the entire female cast again and again and it's played for yuks".

Also don't get a woman to review this, only us red-blooded fellas who love a good sexual assault gag should review this comedy gem!!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Yet exhaustion with that character type is your rationale for enjoying the antics of someone who "isn't afraid of sex" which in the show translates to "sexually assaults the entire female cast again and again and it's played for yuks".

It kind of is. While he is an asshole, I did enjoy seeing someone who is extraordinarily powerful actually use that power for himself. It's a lot more realistic then the perfect paragon saints that make up the majority of shounen leads. Only other one I can think of us Alucard. He was powerful as hell, and while he was one of the good guys, he did whatever he wanted with his powers.

Zac wrote:
Also don't get a woman to review this, only us red-blooded fellas who love a good sexual assault gag should review this comedy gem!!

All I'm saying you shouldn't use someone who is absolutely going to hate something review it. It's like getting a Korean to review a movie about the great victories of the Japanese army. Of course he's going to hate it. What is the point in having someone who hates "X" review "X"?

Last edited by DmonHiro on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the reason this whole review and thread just seem weird and like an over-reaction to me is because both my girlfriend and I have been watching this show recently, and neither of us thought for a second that it was offensive. We watch it together like any other anime, and we both enjoy the show so far...

Ah well... People can have their own thoughts on things, I suppose...

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Of all the critiques to make about the show, I wasn't expecting the focus to be on taking the lead character's actions so seriously...

Just because something's a comedy doesn't mean it gets a free pass when it deals with serious issues -- like sexual assault. If that reasoning worked, Jerry Lewis would've released his Holocaust comedy The Day the Clown Cried and just shrugged when people complained about it being tasteless.

D-did you just compare the actions of a perverted anime character (which can only barely qualify as 'sexual assault') to the holocaust...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
D-did you just compare the actions of a perverted anime character (which can only barely qualify as 'sexual assault') to the holocaust...

Welcome to the ANN forums. Enjoy your stay. Stop by MAL for the exact opposite in sides, but with the same amount of bias.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I think it's rather telling that "not afraid of sex/girls" translates to "sex offender". It's like Otaku are so sexually mal-adjusted that they can only see in those two extremes of that and "celibate gynophobe".

It's also telling that they praise these sex offender heroes as "boss", almost like they want to molest girls themselves but don't have the drive/hopefully have the decency to not do such.

You know, the hero of Asthetica whatever-the-fudge sounds ALMOST as offensive to men as he does women, just in how he's a wackjob molester.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
It's also telling that they praise these sex offender heroes as "boss", almost like they want to molest girls themselves but don't have the drive/hopefully have the decency to not do such.

Not really. This show bombed hard, from what I gather. Though it might have had something to do with the uncensored version being available for viewing. Still ended on a sequel hook.

Chagen46 wrote:
You know, the hero of Asthetica whatever-the-fudge sounds ALMOST as offensive to men as he does women, just in how he's a wackjob molester.

Well let's see:
- Akatsuki: depraved sexual predator with good (?) intentions that always solves female problem through the power of groping.
- Kyouya: strict personality that does pretty much jack shit for the whole show. Has not done anything perverted. Has not done anything.
- Motoharu: less perverted version of Akatsuki.
- Barnett: evil version of Akatsuki.
- Kenya: bully version of Akatsuki.
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Y'know DmonHiro, I was gonna suggest that you just stop, but at this point you may as well continue digging that hole for yourself. You're gonna reach China pretty soon.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the review it sounds like somebody is a little jealous of Akatsuki. No worries m8, if I was to be jealous of a fictional character I would be jealous of Akatsuki too.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Y'know DmonHiro, I was gonna suggest that you just stop, but at this point you may as well continue digging that hole for yourself. You're gonna reach China pretty soon.

I'm in Romania. I don't think that's accurate.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
Judging by the review it sounds like somebody is a little jealous of Akatsuki. No worries m8, if I was to be jealous of a fictional character I would be jealous of Akatsuki too.

You want to be jealous of a completely maladjusted misogynistic rapist?

That says a lot of things about you, not the reviewer, and none of them are good.
Giolon
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
there's also a fairly lengthy softcover artbook containing samples of key art, backgrounds, storyboards, and character models. It has interviews and a script as well, but unless you read Japanese, you'll be confined to just gawking at the pretty pictures.

If you buy the Little Witch Academia Blu-Ray from Trigger's official English store (http://trigger-global.ecq.sc/lwa-bluray01.html), they include a translation booklet for the artbook contents.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Aesthetica, Aesthetica, Aesthetica... I just don't know what to say about you. I get that you don't wanna be another Love Hina, but you didn't have to go so far. You're just as bad, if not, worse than Love Hina. My god... Sad
Quote:
Surely, surely there's a happy medium between having male protagonists that just get beat up by tsunderes all the time, and "alphas" like Akatsuki who think that kicking ass and protecting women need to go hand-in-hand (or tit-in-hand) with sexual predation.

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!

Also, Little Witch Academia was amazing. I can't wait to own the set for myself. Smile I also can't wait for Little Witch Academia 2! Very Happy
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:
Of all the critiques to make about the show, I wasn't expecting the focus to be on taking the lead character's actions so seriously...

Just because something's a comedy doesn't mean it gets a free pass when it deals with serious issues -- like sexual assault. If that reasoning worked, Jerry Lewis would've released his Holocaust comedy The Day the Clown Cried and just shrugged when people complained about it being tasteless.

...How can you not tell that they are comparing offensive content being made comedic, not that they are comparing the acts? Really? Did you even read what they put?

Also, forcibly stripping and groping people does not 'barely' qualify as sexual assault. It is, and it's frightening you even think that way, but seriously. Try to do that in real life. See where it gets you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 18