• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Anime Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote
I will watch this, however I'm bitterly disappointed they are not continuing the main series. God this reminds me of when AIC decided to bring out more Magical Girl Sasami crap instead of focusing on completing the Tenchi series...

EDIT- for those following my blog I'm still reading The Surprise so hang on tight for the extended synopsis.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:13 am Reply with quote
I have to wonder if they're re-gauging the fan interest in more Haruhi after the dangerous risk and backlash of Endless Eight and the Hirano Aya situation. I mean, Endless Eight didn't stop BD or movie sales that much at all, but if you add Hirano Aya on top of that, a lot of the Haruhi fans, specifically, were angry. And so it's very possible that they're waiting to see how this fares before they make more of the main story again... but who knows the real reason.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I have to wonder if they're re-gauging the fan interest in more Haruhi after the dangerous risk and backlash of Endless Eight and the Hirano Aya situation. I mean, Endless Eight didn't stop BD or movie sales that much at all, but if you add Hirano Aya on top of that, a lot of the Haruhi fans, specifically, were angry. And so it's very possible that they're waiting to see how this fares before they make more of the main story again... but who knows the real reason.

I like how you conveniently ignore the MASSIVE success of Shoushitsu in that little thought experiment.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

I like how you conveniently ignore the MASSIVE success of Shoushitsu in that little thought experiment.

But I didn't. ._.;
I KNOW of its massive success. I mentioned that the movie sales (and DVD/BD sales, considering even the Endless Eight discs still sold consistently well) weren't affected much by it at all, considering it was one of the biggest things at the time (and very likely because it was considered the most anticipated thing that people had hoped would be in the second season--part of the whole reason Endless Eight was a kick in the groin to a lot of the fans, since they thougt it destroyed the possibility for Disappearance).

But then we got the Hirano Aya sex scandal and her change in attitude that led a lot of people to believe she was leaving anime (not to mention, comments directly from KyoAni). And the novels have been churning out a bit slowly, to the point where the series is hardly relevant anymore, market-wise, despite this and some other side materials being on-going projects (they were all put on the back-burner to a slower schedule, showing the interest is still substantial, but not necessarily that great, at least for these spin-offs).

So while I do think a third season would be huge and sell greatly, I get the feeling that something like this would be at least partially intended to re-gauge just HOW much interest people still have in the series. The spin-off manga itself doesn't really sell all that well by itself right now, so I can't really think that it was considered for an anime adaption by solely its own merit. And I think that even a company like KyoAni (assuming it's them) would prefer to tip-toe back into this after what happened before, rather than just lay it down flat. Other possible reasons aren't moot, but this seems very likely to be one of them, at least to me.
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
Will there be an anime reboot or adaption of this? I'd love to see a spinoff focusing more on the KyonXYuki shipping :3
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Its not, they just want to advertise the manga. The last LN volume was released in 2011, so its not surprising they are not doing an anime for a LN series that is not active.

The franchise itself is very popular.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I look forward to this! And, if KyoAni is NOT animating it, I think it is a positive sign. That means the copyright holders are not dedicated to KyoAni doing any further seasons and they may look into doing more, especially if this sells well... YAY!
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It would be nice to get some real new Haruhi anime, and not some alternate continuity crap.

Agreed. I am also skeptical of a spinoff of a different author being animated that takes place during what I think was one of the best anime movies I have seen in a long time. Eh...
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Yes, yes, YES! Best Christmas present so far, looking forward to anime. Razz

Hopefully this is so successfull that they'll consider a third season of Haruhi. Cool
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Hawkwing wrote:
Yes, yes, YES! Best Christmas present so far, looking forward to anime. Razz

Hopefully this is so successfull that they'll consider a third season of Haruhi. Cool

I really doubt this spin-offs success will have any affect on whether we'll get a S3 or not.
Correl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this means they'll release more Yuki figures. I can never have enough Yuki figures.
albanian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:55 am Reply with quote
OK. Good fun and all. I'll look forward to it, but... could you pass over that insulin, please.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
Huh, a new Haruhi anime and its not 2020 yet? Whoa, I'm impressed. Hope the quality will be better than Lucky Star though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3