• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Macross Frontier Film Box Adds New Footage, English Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkshader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
Amen. That is why I treat japanese anime imports as collectors edition and not just regular anime that we are getting here is the U.S. because the packaging and freebies are different. And investors need to get their money back ... simple business 101 kids. And U.S. has a larger market compared to Japan, so they can sell it in a lesser price. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.
rydia251

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Darkshader wrote:
And U.S. has a larger market compared to Japan, so they can sell it in a lesser price. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Sure the US has a larger total population, but are your sure about that larger market statement (meaning the size of the market that buys physical anime)?

Some recent comments from American licensees seem to indicate that just selling a couple thousand copies at 1/10th of the Japanese price was considered a success, and they saw reducing prices as a necessary move to simply stay alive after the bubble burst. Also, the Italian, French, and Australian/UK markets would presumably be smaller than the US and Japanese markets, yet they have fairly inexpensive prices as well (though fewer releases).
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
Darkshader wrote:
And U.S. has a larger market compared to Japan, so they can sell it in a lesser price. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Sure the US has a larger total population, but are your sure about that larger market statement (meaning the size of the market that buys physical anime)?

Some recent comments from American licensees seem to indicate that just selling a couple thousand copies at 1/10th of the Japanese price was considered a success, and they saw reducing prices as a necessary move to simply stay alive after the bubble burst. Also, the Italian, French, and Australian/UK markets would presumably be smaller than the US and Japanese markets, yet they have fairly inexpensive prices as well (though fewer releases).

Don't forget. American licensees don't actually have to make the shows they sell. Their margins are much larger.
rydia251

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

Don't forget. American licensees don't actually have to make the shows they sell. Their margins are much larger.

Have Sentai/Funimation/Madman/Siren, et al made public statements about their anime margins (net) since the 2008 crash?

I will buy this for AoA (in percentage, though not absolute terms), but am otherwise skeptical.
caragnafog dog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Amazon is really testing my patience here. My autism can't handle this.
Darkshader

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
Darkshader wrote:

This is funny. You are trying to compare japanese animator companies that invest millions of dollars to create one anime project to funimation/sentai film/aniplex that just pay a few a hundred thousands? Let me ask you this, did you consider the high living cost in japan? How about japanese staff that they need to pay like artist, animators, voice talent, director, script writer? I don't think so. You just think of the money that you can save and try to compare the same content for local release. Anime companies are thinking what new animes they need to release to be able to survive and add to that the competion against other japanese anime companies. How many animes are coming out every year? 50 maybe more. Funimation has low risk because they can just pick the top animes each year and avoid the non-popular one. And Funimation can sell their animes cheap because they are paying a few staff compared it to the japanese companies. Also Funimation can license 3 - 5 projects in a year and that will spread their overhead cost and make sure their staffs are doing multiple projects to save cost. Heck all they need to do is do the dubbing and english subtitles ... how easy is that ... the project can be finished in a few months. They can also hire temp employees for each project to lessen the cost. Again it doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out why the price is so cheap in the U.S.

You also mentioned that there is no guarantee that even the market is big we don't know how much income is funimation/sentai film/aniplex are getting. Exactly, you don't have any idea or proof either that they are making money or not ... but we do know that a lot of people live in the U.S., so selling the anime cheaper has the potential to sell more rather than pricing it high.

You said that "just selling a couple thousand copies at 1/10th of the Japanese price was considered a success" ... you answered your question too haha. That was the sole reason why the price in the U.S. is cheaper because Funimation invested a few thousand, so it make sense to sell the dvd/bluray cheaper cheaper. If Funimation is having a hard time selling the animes then it make sense to sell cheaper because they only invested 20% (guess amount) of what the original amount the japanese companies invested in the first place. So i'm not suprised that japanese import animes are expensive.

And i said it before Funimation can license multiple anime projects to diverse their money and make the product cheaper compared it to a japanese companies who are investing millions in one (1) project that they don't have any idea if it will become winner or a bust.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5