• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Holiday Madness Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Well that's a ball of assumptions, all of which are bogus.

Yes and it didn't stop you from asserting them. Though claiming the high school student is a elementary school kid's not as bad as the guy who thought the smoking, drinking teacher from Index is under ten.

It's a stylistic choice, these are shows made for Japan and if you think this is questionable then you don't know Japan. {Hint: Start at the age of consent ... and work your way down...}

Anyway, enough of that, I still want to get to the actual subject of moe; It's hilarious that someone can find depth and meaning in Hidamari Sketch but thinks K-On's just a waste of time. Sketch is purposely produced out of order just to prove how pointless each day is; A later season had them doing radio calisthetitics as a running gag just because the girls didn't have any else better to do. I don't know if it's a matter of someone not getting the joke or worse, thought it was a serious artistic choice. As for myself, I'll trade the whole Hidamari Sketch series for K-On's second season "summer dream" episode; Kyoto Animation at their Shaftiest {prior to Beyond the Boundary anway...}.

Is moe going away? No but they are running out of straight all girl ensembles 4-koma's to adapt. But now they're moving onto the "not so straight" ones...

Beyond the Boundary is an examples of the new"action moe" or "wow, a story with a cute aesthetic!"? Don't know how to judge that one in particular but my moe aspect includes boobs, butts and fan service {rather than just the "you know..." stuff} but since that's pretty much everywhere {thank you, comic books, for making us completely misguided about female anatomy} and will always be everywhere, it probably doesn't count...

So if I just define moe to the stuff used to entice viewers which I personally don't like? Violence. Wait, that doesn't work, I'm an American, "sexual politics outside my comfort zone: bad, copious amounts of gratuitous violence: good"

Damn, I always forget that...
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Anyway, enough of that, I still want to get to the actual subject of moe; It's hilarious that someone can find depth and meaning in Hidamari Sketch but thinks K-On's just a waste of time. Sketch is purposely produced out of order just to prove how pointless each day is; A later season had them doing radio calisthetitics as a running gag just because the girls didn't have any else better to do. I don't know if it's a matter of someone not getting the joke or worse, thought it was a serious artistic choice. As for myself, I'll trade the whole Hidamari Sketch series for K-On's second season "summer dream" episode; Kyoto Animation at their Shaftiest {prior to Beyond the Boundary anway...}.

I only said that I enjoyed Hidamari Sketch and that I didn't like K-On. You sure do make a lot of assumptions. Here's what I said, just in case you missed it:

ZodiacBeast wrote:
For example, the cuteness of the characters from Hidamari Sketch meshes with the overall light hearted feel of the show and helps me enjoy it just a little more than if they had been drawn more realistically. But with a show like K-On! which I didn't find that enjoyable the generic cuteness that permeates the show didn't appeal to me.

Notice how I didn't say the words "depth," "meaning," or "waste of time"? Indeed Hidamari doesn't hold any deep meaning but it's a fun, enjoyable show. And just because I didn't enjoy K-On doesn't mean that I think it's "a waste of time".

And what "joke" is there to not get? They do radio calisthenics because they have nothing better to do? It's a slice of life show.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Ah, the ol' moe fiasco and how it's "the cancer killing anime." A lot of westerner anime fans, especially Americans, seem to have this impression that the concept is a new development. It's clearly not when shows like Akazukin Cha Cha and even Card Captor Sakura were produced before the supposed "heydey" of moe. I'd partly put the blame on this on Adult Swim and Toonami for giving a rather narrow view of the medium by cherry picking anime that aren't cute (and even then they still couldn't get rid of it. Outlaw Star and Eureka Seven had "moeblobs" too.).

This is why the Asian markets outside Japan fare better than the Western counterpart. They're exposed with more variety including the cute girls doing cute things shows a lot earlier so they aren't as jarred about it than American fans.

And it seems to me that the questioner ignored other overused "genres" in the industry. What about the increasing number of fujoshi pandering shows featuring hyper sexualized boys engaging in suggestive situations (she cited KNK but ignored Free! hmm...) Too PC to hate on that? I'm sensing some double standards around that question.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi:
Quote:
So, how many was that again?

Enough to bankrupt Geneon.

Quote:
Funny you should say that, considering Urotsukidoji sold more copies in the UK than most anime can ever hope to.

You didn't read my comment, did you? I said the likes of Urotsukidoji failed to turn people off of anime. Though it was often used as an excuse to attack anime.

Animegomaniac:
Quote:
Is moe going away? No but they are running out of straight all girl ensembles 4-koma's to adapt.

More importantly, casual fans in Japan are sick of it, too. It made money and still makes money for various companies involved, but it's hurting the industry's market share over there, because they got nothing else that most people want. It's like otaku Pokemon, in that sense.

Pai:

Quote:
It's clearly not when shows like Akazukin Cha Cha and even Card Captor Sakura were produced before the supposed "heydey" of moe.

Akazukin is not f**king moe! Stop retconning anime classics to fit some bs worldview. And CCS was never deliberately marketed as moe. It just became the co-opted by that crowd.

Quote:
I'd partly put the blame on this on Adult Swim and Toonami for giving a rather narrow view of the medium by cherry picking anime that aren't cute

That's because those viewers have taste.

Quote:
Outlaw Star and Eureka Seven had "moeblobs" too.).

Uh, no, but thanks for making that up.

Quote:
This is why the Asian markets outside Japan fare better than the Western counterpart.

Asian markets outside of Japan are torrenting and/or bootleging the product.

Quote:
And it seems to me that the questioner ignored other overused "genres" in the industry. What about the increasing number of fujoshi pandering shows featuring hyper sexualized boys engaging in suggestive situations (she cited KNK but ignored Free! hmm...) Too PC to hate on that?

The difference is that the fujoshi stuff isn't embarrassing to look at in random still shots. Not to mention that I don't see that fanbase forcing most of the anime/manga industry to make solely fujoshi, because they don't buy anything else.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Can we create a rule going forward that no-one can use the word "moe" in a non-ironic fashion without also providing a public statement on what they, personally, actually mean when they use the word?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Animegomaniac:
Quote:
Is moe going away? No but they are running out of straight all girl ensembles 4-koma's to adapt.

More importantly, casual fans in Japan are sick of it, too. It made money and still makes money for various companies involved, but it's hurting the industry's market share over there, because they got nothing else that most people want. It's like otaku Pokemon, in that sense.

Hmm...lets see where did I put that.

*digs around*

no...not that...oh, I was looking for that...ah ha!

*holds up sign*

[Citation Needed]
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of Hayao Miyazaki's intentions, some say that his first film Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro started the whole moe anime girl thing with Clarisse. Just look at her.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Moe kindof reminds me of the term RPG.
Role Play Game can really define any number of games, essentially any game where you play the role of a character. There is an issue though (as with moe) when a certain genre of games which follow a basic overarching style choice (leveling up, fantasy settings, ect) thus changing and not changing the definition of the word.

So back to moe, I think the most technical definition arises from an old definition of moe being a character that makes you fall in love with/have a crush on. This definition was somewhat shortened to cover shows with cute girls which followed certain styles/personalities that were endearing to viewers, which given how much income comes off figurines you can see why this was a marketable attribute. All this doesn't really give a definition though, almost every show will have a cute character (because they're so damn marketable), nor is there a time frame associated with moe, would Patlabor fit under the label? Certainly there are a lot of figurines and character goods for Noa out there.

Eh, in the end I think "moe anime" is just not a very good label, it's too broad and there is too many arguments over what exactly it means.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Where do people get these silly ideas? Space Dandy isn't anything anti-moe, it appears to just be a rehash of Cobra with even more wackiness added in. It's not going to be your lord and savior of anime: Cowboy Bebop II. Even if it's a success, I kind of doubt it'll be anything that can shape the industry towards a new direction, anime's too interconnected with manga, visual novels, and light novels for those shows you don't like to not also be adapted. As long as semi-popular LNs continue to be published, so will adaptations be made from them.

Space Dandy has some moe characters too.(atleast to me). I think Moe is a feeling like "love".
And kind of fan service too based on the trailers.

Indeed, in its simplest definition, 'moe' is a positive feeling.

Any character can be moe, be it Speedwagon, Kaiji or Fake Akagi. Using examples from male characters who many people consider to be 'moe'.
'Moe' is also a lot older than some people seem to think it is. It will also never die out, atleast not before anime dies out that is.

If it starts getting used to describe a type or a genre of anime, it just gets really confusing, and I often have no idea what people mean with it.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Can we create a rule going forward that no-one can use the word "moe" in a non-ironic fashion without also providing a public statement on what they, personally, actually mean when they use the word?

Most of the time anime fans confuse the terms kawaii and moe as if they were one and the same. Moe is specific to anime, and denotes the sexualization of young prepubescent characters. Moe in a certain sense requires kawaii-ness, but kawaii-ness doesn't require moe-ness. Kawaii is a trait of japanese culture. It permeates every cultural expression, from print, to video, to anime, to films etc... I once came across a japanese insurance depliant telling you the reasons to get insurance. And in one of the pages you have a kawaii depection of a tsunami devouring a coastal community. Now tsunamis in real life are phenomenons that bring death and misery when they hit populated areas. And yet japanese like to use "cuteness" as a way to convey a depressing message.
jet_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Just stop.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Moe is specific to anime, and denotes the sexualization of young prepubescent characters.

Uhh...no? Where the hell did you even get that?

Quote:
Moe in a certain sense requires kawaii-ness, but kawaii-ness doesn't require moe-ness. Kawaii is a trait of japanese culture. It permeates every cultural expression, from print, to video, to anime, to films etc... I once came across a japanese insurance depliant telling you the reasons to get insurance. And in one of the pages you have a kawaii depection of a tsunami devouring a coastal community. Now tsunamis in real life are phenomenons that bring death and misery when they hit populated areas. And yet japanese like to use "cuteness" as a way to convey a depressing message.

please stop using "kawaii". Kawaii just means "cute", its not a term with any particularly special, hard to convey meaning.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Most of the time anime fans confuse the terms kawaii and moe as if they were one and the same. Moe is specific to anime, and denotes the sexualization of young prepubescent characters. Moe in a certain sense requires kawaii-ness, but kawaii-ness doesn't require moe-ness. Kawaii is a trait of japanese culture. It permeates every cultural expression, from print, to video, to anime, to films etc... I once came across a japanese insurance depliant telling you the reasons to get insurance. And in one of the pages you have a kawaii depection of a tsunami devouring a coastal community. Now tsunamis in real life are phenomenons that bring death and misery when they hit populated areas. And yet japanese like to use "cuteness" as a way to convey a depressing message.

your not even worthy of a response so instead i'm inserting an overused meme here.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Uhh...no? Where the hell did you even get that?

Uhh...yes. 1000% yes. Moe is about the sexualization of young characters.
If you deny this, I have to think that you're either blind or watch anime with dark sunglasses on.

Quote:

please stop using "kawaii". Kawaii just means "cute", its not a term with any particularly special, hard to convey meaning.

Please enhance your reading comprehension. I said kawaii (cuteness) is a trait of japanese culture in that it permeates all aspects of japanese culture. It is not something anchored to a cultural niche like moe is. And I cited an example of kawaii being used in printed material that had nothing to do with anime. Do you understand ? It's not that difficult.
Moe on the other hand is specific to anime, in that it builds upon characters that are kawaii but goes further by sexualizing them (mostly prepubescent characters expressed through the puni plush style). It doesn't matter wether the characters are 20, 30 or 40 years old. When they are being depicted as young prepubescent characters and the main object of these characters is to sexualize then you've got moe. Moe captures the fantasy of the viewer by sexualizing the character. Of course the viewer is going to feel all fuzzy and warm and feeling a need to protect this young innocent (really ?) character from the wrongdoings of other characters. But this feeling is a consequence of the sexualizing, it is not the cause.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Uhh...yes. 1000% yes. Moe is about the sexualization of young characters.
If you deny this, I have to think that you're either blind or watch anime with dark sunglasses on.

Can't believe I need to use this again already

[Citation Needed]

Quote:
Please enhance your reading comprehension. I said kawaii (cuteness) is a trait of japanese culture in that it permeates all aspects of japanese culture. It is not something anchored to a cultural niche like moe is. And I cited an example of kawaii being used in printed material that had nothing to do with anime. Do you understand ? It's not that difficult.
Moe on the other hand is specific to anime, in that it builds upon characters that are kawaii but goes further by sexualizing them (mostly prepubescent characters expressed through the puni plush style). It doesn't matter wether the characters are 20, 30 or 40 years old. When they are being depicted as young prepubescent characters and the main object of these characters is to sexualize then you've got moe. Moe captures the fantasy of the viewer by sexualizing the character. Of course the viewer is going to feel all fuzzy and warm and feeling a need to protect this young innocent (really ?) character from the wrongdoings of other characters. But this feeling is a consequence of the sexualizing, it is not the cause.

This couldn't be more wrong if you sat down to intentionally write something completely wrong.

This literally has nothing to do with moe as the term is used. What you are describing is...SEXUALIZATION. Which can intersect with moe, but isn't an intrinsic aspect of it.

And I don't quite think you understand what "prepubescent" means.

AND STOP CALLING IT KAWAII. ITS CUTE. YOU DON'T NEED TO USE A JAPANESE WORD FOR CUTE WHEN DESCRIBING CUTE THINGS.

CUTE THINGS ARE CUTE. I KNOW JAPAN USES THIS CONSTANTLY, I'M NOT A [expletive] MORON LIKE YOU SEEM TO THINK.

*ahem*

Sorry about that.

Now excuse me I have shipdaughters to attend to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5