• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Space Dandy (TV) (season 1)
Space Dandy (TV) (season 2) Discussion starts around here.

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: alien hunting, aliens, parody, space, space navy

Plot Summary: Space Dandy is a space hunter, someone who is paid to search for new, undiscovered alien species. It's an industry where the prize goes to the person who finds aliens the fastest. Dandy searches unknown planets for strange beings with his companions, QT the worn-out robot and Meow from Betelgeuse. Meanwhile, they're being chased by minions of the Gorgol Empire, for reasons that are still a mystery.
----------------------------------

Previews

Sub version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o480GrsQGmo
Dub version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0YVOjYPG2bQ

Wow, I watched both previews several times now and really hyped to see how it goes.

Bones is involved in this so it should be interesting to see how this turns out to be as well. (they are also involved with Norgami) Actually, after watching both PVs, I might give the dub version a try. The voice sounds decent enough and fits with the overall theme. It also brings back that old school feeling. Shinichiro Watanabe is also the director for this series so definitely getting high expectations for this.

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:21 am Reply with quote
So this is the show that is supposed to save anime, huh? Well, good luck to Space Dandy. Just hope it turns out better than bloody Fractale.

Oh yeah, for those who are interested in such things the pre-air is out. Consists of the first half of episode one.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Just hope it turns out better than bloody Fractale.

What does Fractale have anything to do with this show?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, what is this?
The animations is pretty good.
Sadly, that's the only good thing about it.
The rest is more like mindless fun.
Well, if you're really bored...
Don't know if I'm gonna watch this.
Have to see what else is out there..
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
What does Fractale have anything to do with this show?

Forgive me, but a bit of background information is in order.

Fractale was a show which its creators claimed would save/rescue the anime industry. Yutaka Yamamoto directed it and promised fans that if the show failed he would resign from the industry. Well, Fractale turned out to be a steaming pile which didn't save the anime industry (not that it needed saving in the first place). Yamamoto reneged on that promise; for example, he's directing Wake Up, Girls! in the new season.

Space Dandy's creators have also promised that they can and will rescue the anime industry by appealing to a mainstream audience. To this end, it has a very Western feel, and they even got Watanabe (of Cowboy Bebop fame) to try and make lighting strike twice. Even more notable, Space Dandy will actually have English-dubbed episodes air on Toonami in the States before they air in Japan, which is basically unprecedented in anime history. Kurokami had English-dubbed episodes air within twenty-four hours of the initial Japanese broadcast, but Space Dandy is obviously on a whole 'nother level.

Essentially, what I was saying was that I hope Space Dandy avoids Fractale's fate. Making enormous claims comes with a lot of risk if you can't deliver, and there's a lot riding on the show's success. If it is popular then we may very well see more anime with English dubs come out at the same or similar time as the initial Japanese broadcast. If it isn't, then expect producers to be very wary of trying something like that again.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. Wink

dtm42 wrote:
Space Dandy will actually have English-dubbed episodes air on Toonami in the States before they air in Japan, which is basically unprecedented in anime history.

Haha, I wonder how all the dub-haters who use the "Subtitles are superior because you get to hear the original voices" argument gonna react to this. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:
Space Dandy's creators have also promised that they can and will rescue the anime industry by appealing to a mainstream audience.

Mainstream. Man, I really don't like that word. Most of the time, trying to be mainstream is a secured way to mediocrity. And does anime industry even need saving?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
And does anime industry even need saving?

It is very healthy right now, so no, it doesn't need saving. But I would like to see anime expand its audience even more. Whether Space Dandy is the show to do that I am doubtful, but I do give the people involved props for trying. They really have gone all out to make this work.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Even if it's successful with western audiences and does well for FUNi/Adult Swim, it's because they're riding entirely on Watanabe's connection to Cowboy Bebop, and the ability to sell it on that anime practically alone. So it's already a self-fulfilled experiment with really no where else to go but horizontal or down.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
The first half of episode 1 was aired during A Japanese preview recently (Look around, you'll find it). Bones is definitely putting some money into this anime. The animation is amazing, but the humor leaves a lot to be desired.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Lol maybe I give this a chance after seeing this.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Space Dandy's creators have also promised that they can and will rescue the anime industry by appealing to a mainstream audience.

Where have you seen that?Where have you seen Space Dandy's creators saying that they will rescue anime industry in any shape or form?Please,let me know I am really ,really curious.
Quote:
Even if it's successful with western audiences and does well for FUNi/Adult Swim, it's because they're riding entirely on Watanabe's connection to Cowboy Bebop, and the ability to sell it on that anime practically alone.

Oh yeah the show is going to be successful solely on Watanabe's connection.People are definitely going to be watching a show every week,only because of director's previous work,it has nothing to do with the quality of the show.
The way I see it,they will use Watanabe to get people to watch the show,from then on the quality of this anime will decide whether it will be success or not.

Last edited by danilo07 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Lol maybe I give this a chance after seeing this.

Be still my beating heart. Dandy is my kind of man. I always say there isn't nearly enough butt fanservice. Queen's Blade (at least the two seasons I've seen) is the only show I can think of in recent memory that has any fair amount of service aimed at those like myself and Dandy who have more mature preferences.

Here's to hoping Dandy comes through with some more sweet, sweet butt service!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Where did you see that? All I remember is Watanabe promising it would be the stupidest anime ever or something along those lines
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Oh yeah the show is going to be successful solely on Watanabe's connection.People are definitely going to be watching a show every week,only because of director's previous work,it has nothing to do with the quality of the show.
The way I see it,they will use Watanabe to get people to watch the show,from then on the quality of this anime will decide whether it will be success or not.

Yes exactly, with no irony or sarcasm. They wouldn't be going through with this dub-first/America-first effort unless it was by Cowboy Bebop Guy. Maybe I was wrong, and if it's successful it'll be on the shows own terms, yes, but you cannot deny all of this work to get it on Adult Swim first isn't because of Space Dandy itself, but rather its pedigree.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
So the way to appeal to the western world is to have space Hooters? I liked the preview. Qt sounds like a qtpie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 24