• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The first half of episode 1 was aired during A Japanese preview recently (Look around, you'll find it).

It's like I haven't said that already.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even if it's successful with western audiences and does well for FUNi/Adult Swim, it's because they're riding entirely on Watanabe's connection to Cowboy Bebop, and the ability to sell it on that anime practically alone. So it's already a self-fulfilled experiment with really no where else to go but horizontal or down.

This is a great point. However perception is reality, and if the producers on both sides of the Pacific believe that success in North America was because of the speedy English airing rather than Watanabe's name, then they will be more likely to greenlight such endeavours. Nevermind the real reason.

danilo07 wrote:
Where have you seen that?Where have you seen Space Dandy's creators saying that they will rescue anime industry in any shape or form?Please,let me know I am really ,really curious.

I'll 'fess up and admit that I got it from a blog, specifically TheCartDriver.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
"spoiler[Breasturant]." I see what they did there.

Decent start so far. I'm eager to see what else the show in stored soon. Space Dandy is fabulous. I mean the character, not just the title. Hoping to see more action too but that classic tone reminds me of Cowboy Bebop. :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving this. absolutely no forth wall
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
This is dumb good fun. Did anyone out there actually unironically think this was going to shake up anime? There had to be some, fess up.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm torn. I do love the goofiness and the funky 60's motif but the show has no... energy. The dub is listless, the jokes are tired, and the ep just sort of meandered. For whatever reason, it almost feels like the first is intentional as well. It can and probably will turn itself around, but I'm slightly underwhelmed.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
That was... odd. I reserve judgment until the second episode, what with them spoiler[seemingly killing off the entire cast at the end of this episode]. Also, I have a feeling that Dandy's voice is maybe supposed to be massively more over-the-top than Ian Sinclair's performance...? Not that he was bad, he just seemed to be underplaying it relative to the insanity of the visuals.

And the insanity of the visuals is kind of the big thing driving the first episode for me. There were times I could swear they were channeling Yuasa Masaaki. I found it pretty funny too, though I wonder how faithful they were to the original script, with the fourth-wall breaking.

Is Funimation going to stream the subtitled version so I can do a compare-and-contrast?

But yes, like I said, a second episode is necessary before I decide whether I this is on my "definitely watch" list, especially with that ending.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
I feel underwhelmed as well. I mean, did you see the anime Toonami attached to it? FMA and Bebop, that's what! I like the idea of airing a series set in space, it's been ages since they've had a new one it seems, but for me, it doesn't quite have the grand adventure that Outlaw Star had, which is probably what I was expecting from this based on previews/Toonami ads. I think it broke the fourth wall a little too much for me and Pinkie Pie is my favorite pony! Or Rarity, depends on my mood. I noticed Thomas Romain's name in the credits too, I'm still not 100% sure what he designed, but I do feel like the aliens have a bit of a French animation aspect to them vs a Japanese one. In that sense, it reminds me more of Oban or Time Jam than a typical anime.

Encyclopedia says it's the spaceship, but I suspect it's more than that.
Though I am a fan of auto-tune bot, Adventure Time uses that with Finn's singing because he swallowed an auto-tuner or something, but it does give the robot a unique voice.

But I am going to give it a few more episodes because the idea of tuning in every week for a new anime episode hasn't happened to me in years, man! Though I, too, am curious about the fourth wall breaking, if it's an ad-in or that happens in the Japanese too.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
"Into infinity...and beyond." Really? Then why not use, "It's okay, there's oxygen on this planet". Would have been a great Flesh Gordon reference.

As for ep. 1, I give in 3 stars: not great and not terrible. Dub at times felt kinda meh but first episodes are usually like that, so no biggie. Narrator could use more epicness to his voice, like Patrick Stewart in "Ted".

Episode 2 and 3 will decide for me.

Hopefully Dandy doesn't turn into the nex Aeon Fluxx or Kenny:
spoiler["Oh my God, they killed Space Dandy!"]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'm sort of I'm expecting they'll spoiler[un-blow up], due to some sort of space-time nonsense involving the spoiler[warp drive, the cosmic thread, and Dandy's glass of Gilgamesh Tequila].
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
And so the first episode of Space Dandy was an interesting ride for me! I thought it was actually very humorous, and I adored the animation style and colors in this. I found the humor in the second half a bit more suited to my tastes than the first half, but I found that funny as well. Though, I liked the parody to Hooters, lol.

Anyway, I'm excited for more and I seriously can't wait for next week!

Also, Dandy is really cute imo, and even though Honey has only appeared for a few seconds I found her rather amusing. I'm more excited to see the other female character we'll have though. (Scarlet I believe is her name?) I like the rest of the cast as well. Meow kind of stands out to me, lol.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
Whelp, I love it. Reminds me if Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop had some sort of love child. The boobies joke will get old super quick (was wearing on my nerves pretty bad toward the end of it). It felt like maybe the show was trying too hard in the beginning with the whole boobs vs butts conversation too. As it left the boob jokes though I enjoyed it a whole lot more. The last bit was an absolute pleasure to watch.

I thought the dub was also pretty great. I personally felt Ian Sinclair did a good job and felt very natural, keying in on that cocky idiot tone of the character. Also, although I haven't watched the sub (I will if airs on hulu), I think that considering how the rest of it was set up with all its absurdities that the fourth wall breaking is a part of the Japanese too. And if not, it still felt appropriate to me so I didn't mind it.

Space Dandy definitely feeds a nostalgic feeling and I'm a sucker for it so that's OK by me. I'm looking forward to watching this week to week with commercials, toonami bumps, and everything. That really is nostalgic. I haven't done that since the seventh season of Inuyasha premiered on Adult Swim. So a long time.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
Oh, looks like Patrick Seitz has been drinking... again.

https://twitter.com/Seitz_Unseen
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:

And what's so wrong with Patrick live-tweeting? I think Cherami Leigh said it best:

Cherami Leigh Kuehn ‏@CheramiLeigh 14 Sep
I want a @Seitz_Unseen alternative commentary track #SAONDK
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed tuning in for this show. Definitely feeling the nostalgia also. I will check out next weeks episode for sure!
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
Nayu wrote:

And what's so wrong with Patrick live-tweeting? I think Cherami Leigh said it best:

Cherami Leigh Kuehn ‏@CheramiLeigh 14 Sep
I want a @Seitz_Unseen alternative commentary track #SAONDK

Nothing at all. He's freakin' hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 24