• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
Finished watching dubs now. Some thoughts:

Dandy's voice actually works out quite well imo. I mean, some of his lines are cheesy but I think it works fine and I'm getting used to it. I'm actually going to watch this dubbed from now on since it'll save me the time of having to dig through the subtitles.

The music is alright I guess. I like the way it matches with the mood sometimes. The action was kinda meh though. I think technical wise, Dandy isn't as entirely skilled as he claimed to be.

Not bad for the first episode although it wasn't mind blowing. I am looking forward to more though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
To be honest the meta stuff in the beginning felt draggy and actually got kind of bored of them talking about boobs. Things felt promising when they got to that planet full of aliens, spoiler[and then they all died. THE END!] So I guess next episode they go find a ramen shop.....wait something not right! spoiler[There's ramen shops in space?!!] Shocked
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Oh thank God. Animax Asia is not only airing the show at the same time as Japan but it's also airing with the English dub as well! (I find this surprising since it's a Funimation dub and Funimation dubs are only available to North America which Animax Asia uses other dub studios in Hong Kong for shows that Funimation already licensed.) The downside is censoring the very sexy scenes but that doesn't bother me.

I enjoy the dub and the show looks unique.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Did anyone out there actually unironically think this was going to shake up anime? There had to be some, fess up.

I've seen a bunch assuming they weren't trolls. Laughing It's Kill la Kill all over again. People hyping it up as saving American fans from fanservice anime and then it turns out both shows ended up throwing in a bunch of shameless fanservice in the end. Third times the charm, right? Dandy's totally right though: ass > breasts

classicalzawa wrote:
I feel underwhelmed as well. I mean, did you see the anime Toonami attached to it? FMA and Bebop, that's what!
Toonami was being deceptive there, I'm afraid. Hiromu Arakawa is not attached to this project at all. They were pretty much hoping to trick people into watching it by using two shows that they previously showed by vague connection of 'the same guys who animated FMA animated this, so that's good enough to name-drop FMA'. Wink
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
@lostrune
I figured right away they simply meant "Studio Bones" and not Hiromu Arakawa, but you do have a point that the way they advertised it could've implied her. I'd looked things up online before so I knew she wasn't involved.
Still, Shinichiro Watanabe is.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Another fan service show, this type of show is not my cup of tea.
Don't worry, unlike most people, when i don't like a show, i won't comeback next week to post more trolls.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Don't worry, unlike most people, when i don't like a show, i won't comeback next week to post more trolls.

Did you literally ONLY watch the first 10 minutes?

This is far from a "fanservice" show. It's an action-sci-fi-comedy with some elements of fanservice in it.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Did you literally ONLY watch the first 10 minutes?

This is far from a "fanservice" show. It's an action-sci-fi-comedy with some elements of fanservice in it.

no, the first 15 mins. All fan service shows have their main genre it can be romance, action ..

It's just not my type of anime. I'm not saying it's good or bad.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
no, the first 15 mins. All fan service shows have their main genre it can be romance, action ..

Okay, there's the difference, I guess. I define a "fan service show" as a show where fan service is the main point of the show. In the case of Space Dandy, if you'd bothered going past the scene in Boobies (which was mostly poking fun at how lame our main character's obsession is), it moves to a completely different, fan-service free location, with lots of giant monsters and robots and spaceships and extreme silliness.

I don't know - maybe Boobies will be in every episode (the idea is that it's a galaxy-wide chain) but it might also have been a gag primarily for the first episode, as a place to bring the crew together.

If that is the only reason you quit the show, try watching the second half now that it's online and see if you like that better.

Btw, I'm watching the original Japanese cast right now. I think I prefer the English QT, but I like Junichi Suwabe a lot more than Ian Sinclair in the role of Dandy thus far. The script is also a little (but only a little) less fourth-wall-breaky.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
i think it's going be to boobies every week with no real story arc. I don't like episodic anime that much.

I watch fan service anime if it has good story. I will wait for people to watch it first.

Edit: i mean non-episodic

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean bro? All fanservice anime have plot.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:

I've seen a bunch assuming they weren't trolls. Laughing It's Kill la Kill all over again. People hyping it up as saving American fans from fanservice anime and then it turns out both shows ended up throwing in a bunch of shameless fanservice in the end. Third times the charm, right? Dandy's totally right though: ass > breasts

Not really sure how anyone thought Space Dandy wouldn't have fanservice when you saw the fanservice in the very first preview.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
What do you mean bro? All fanservice anime have plot.

when do i said anything about fan service anime has no plot?
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I wouldn't call this a fan service show. The tna is not what the show is about. Just like Kill La Kill. It's all part of the humor and whatnot, but not what the show is trying to sell itself on.

Even so, at least the funservice isn't the creepy crap that prevails modern anime. It's just basic boobs and ass. There's nothing wrong with that. At least it's not pedo crap like watching a teen girl who looks like a little girl masturbating like in another recent anime.
Either way, first episode was ok. Some of the 4th wall jokes fell flat. Like I get it, you're breaking the 4th wall. You don't need to keep doing it.

The dub really sucks. I hate Funi dubs. Never sounds natural or good. Just sounds like fake actors trying to act.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
what about it sucked?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 24