• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
First things first: Was that a mother**king Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos reference in my Space Dandy tonight? I would really like to know what was in the Japanese script for that scene.

Secondly: Scarlet's ex was a big blond dude named Dolph. That's fantastic.

You know, I half expected that creepy eighties mecha would turn out to be Scarlet's ex boyfriend. Like, literally the mecha; no pilot or anything. I don't know why. I'm weird.

This was a very pleasant episode. It was a contrived love story with a lot of familiar beats, but it felt very sincere with a graceful touch of melancholy and filled with very human moments between two characters whom I felt had rather good chemistry. It was also nice to see a more adult romance in anime for once. I'm a sucker for stories like these. I only wish that Scarlet had a larger role in the series. I like her. (I wish that Honey had a larger role too; I've been much more onboard with her since she friggin' suplexed Dr. Gel)

This episode also made me note how well acted the English dub of Space Dandy is. Everybody feels very natural and complete in their characters. Ian Sinclair in particular is just crushing it as Dandy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
The latest episode definitely had creativity to it.

First, I did like spoiler[Scarlet's return into this show. I feel like she is an underrated character ever since her initial debut all the way back to season 1. Second, I also sensed a form of romance coming between the two or at least expressed in physically with that kiss. The music and style of the episode also did justice with itself in that Space Dandyish way] as well. Definitely a cleverly executed episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Secondly: Scarlet's ex was a big blond dude named Dolph. That's fantastic.

12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
^Ha!

This was a good episode, more humorous than the last few but Scarlet is my favourite character. We also saw another side to Dandy that has only been touched on previously. I think calming down on the "dimwitted zaniness" made this show much better. Hopefully the theme continues.
GreyFoxes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I half expected that creepy eighties mecha would turn out to be Scarlet's ex boyfriend. Like, literally the mecha; no pilot or anything. I don't know why. I'm weird.

I thought the same thing too, so if that makes you weird, I guess we both are...

I really liked the way Dandy and Scarlet were in this episode.

Even if I knew that ultimately spoiler[the were never going to actually end up together], I felt like it could definitely had worked and felt really natural.

It made me genuinely sad at the end when spoiler[Dandy ran with the video to Scarlet at the cafe, but they just missed each other and you see she had written Dandy's name on the counter. ]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10

Well not all love stories spoiler[end perfectly like they should], baby. We all know that Dandy is not perfect, he is pretty open about what he finds attractive, is not afraid to play a little dirty, and would rather help himself than follow social rules. But he is a good guy, he respects woman, won't do something he is told not to do, and is generally honest. Dandy knows that he is "a loser", but he usually does not let it get him down or have him be someone he is not. Sadly spoiler[it looked like he let the insecurity take over him a bit too long and missed his date with Scarlet], despite the fact they actually clicked quite well.

I guess that I am a fan of Dandy X Scarlet now. A bit sad that maybe the way things go, but it is not that kind of series, it does look like the love thing will continue into next episode. Also The way Dandy and Scarlet were with the red car, kind of reminds of the way Hitagi and Kaiki look in that one OP from Monogatari Second season, probably a reference to specific things.

Oh, and I think this may have been one of my favourite episodes.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
The episode was good, but that ending was totally cliche. It's an ending I've seen 100 different times in other shows, both inside anime and outside. I know it's supposed to give us some sad, emo melancholy feels, but I felt jaded. It would have been nice if they had added some kind of twist to it.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
GreyFoxes wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I half expected that creepy eighties mecha would turn out to be Scarlet's ex boyfriend. Like, literally the mecha; no pilot or anything. I don't know why. I'm weird.

I thought the same thing too, so if that makes you weird, I guess we both are...

I, too, thought this, but I think it's more due to the nature of the show itself. Like, it could've easily been a sentient alien that only looked like a mecha, rather than actually being one.

But anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I loved the scene where Scarlet was laughing spoiler[after Dandy accidentally destroyed her house], and then spoiler[she and Dandy started bonding over the movies they liked.] She looks so beautiful when she's genuinely happy (and with her hair down). And Dandy spoiler[punching Scarlet's stalker ex in the face] was awesome.

But then the ending...spoiler[the whole time Dandy was running to meet her, in my mind I was going "Will he get there on time? I think he will...oh no, he's not gonna make it! But maybe he will...no, no he won't! But I want him to..." ...And then he didn't.] I mean, due to the lack of continuity in this show, even if spoiler[they had met up at the end and gotten together for real], everything would've been back to normal by next episode, but still...
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
So, Kimiko Ueno has decided to write a romantic comedy. And...she did a good job. This is supposedly her final episode for the series, and all eight of her episodes are fantastic. She's really good at writing comedy and light-hearted funtimes.

This time, however, Ueno decided to go for heartwarming. This episode just felt like a warm blanket on a rainy day. The chemistry between Scarlet (who I adore) and Dandy is great, there were some jokes I really liked, and the animation is wonderful too. I also want to point out the low-key tone that lingers throughout the story, which ends on a bittersweet note that was perfect for the plot. Overall, DAAAAAAW IT'S SO FUZZY AND SWEET.

Next time...plot happens. Maybe. I can't believe this show will be over by the end of the month. Crying or Very sad
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode but it felt more like a parody of romantic comedies to me than an actual romantic comedy with all those clichés mixed together. Or perhaps a better description would be: a "best of" of those movies from the late 80s/early 90s which usually featured Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks and Hugh Grant in various combinations. Smile
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Really great episode this week.

You know, I think a big part of what has elevated this show for me in the second season is that Ueno has really stepped up her game. In season 1, I found Ueno's episodes tended to range from pretty fun if a little insubstantial to downright forgettable (the only real exception being "There's Always Tomorrow, Baby".) I enjoyed them still but they definitely seemed like the potatoes, there to round out the series with some more comedic stories between the more meaty contributions of other writers (even if those episodes were quite inconsistent in quality). But this time around she's 2/3 on turning in really outstanding and memorable episodes. And the Rock n' Roll Dandy, Baby was no slouch either. Of course, it helps too that the non-Ueno episodes have been much stronger on average. Overall, this show really seems to have found its rhythm. Season 1 season 1 was good but this season is downright amazing.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I know it's supposed to give us some sad, emo melancholy feels, but I felt jaded. It would have been nice if they had added some kind of twist to it.

This kind of sombre, reserved romance between jaded people hesitant to open up and show their true feelings is literally the opposite of being "emo".
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 11:

spoiler[1D, 2D, or 3D????]

What a strange episode. spoiler[Tbh, this one had a lot of abnormalities starting with that box. And not to mention, we got that Paul guy that turned out toe be rectangle.]

Anyways, idk how I feel about this episode except that it hit all the buttons on the strange.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
I think I like this Toh EnJoecharacter; I hope that he keeps writing for anime.

This felt almost like a lost episode of Futurama to me. I consider that an entirely complimentary comparison. The way that theoretical concepts were used to make a straightforward story strange and add a sort of 'puzzle box' layer to its, but also to make video game references felt very redolent of things that show had done. Worth noting is that Toh EnJoe is a scientist and several members of Futurama's staff were mathematicians.

This episode had a very basic plot, but that was probably wise, because an ex-girlfriend who's a tesseract and universes with numbers both less and greater than three would be a little too much if our attention were more burdened by the narrative itself. I enjoyed seeing Dandy play his part in an adept rendering of a the story of a former lover returning to somebody to ask that person to deal with a problem involving his former rival, but the persistent absurdity that the former lover being a 4-dimensional being and the former rival 2-dimensional made it much more memorable.

It's a pity that it's only as the show draws to a close that Honey and Scarlet are becoming more prominent. Is it weird that I've only started to find Honey all sexy since she started doing things like occasional make useful contributions and mother**king suplex Dr. Gel? Sir Mix-A-Lot's (and presumably Dandy's) anaconda might not want none unless you got buns hun, but m... I probably shouldn't finish that thought.

The English dub cast continues to crush it. Ian Sinclair has really made his bones playing Dandy, so far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if there is are -negative-dimensional universes or an X-dimensional universe... wait, I think that's where the Technodrome is from.

F**king Paul.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
I was hoping to see what happened when a 4th dimensional being's shadow was brought into the 2D, so we'd see what she looks like in 3D.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:19 am Reply with quote
This episode marked the return of Fumihiko Takayama ( most famous for War in Pocket ) to storyboards, first time in 13 years actually. A lot of people who were absent returned to work on Space Dandy, and hopefully Takayama will have something else in store for us. Anyway, I feel like this was the most 80's episode of Space Dandy. And not just due to the inclusion of 80's arcade video game universe, the moody lighting in the beginning was reminiscent of early Sci-Fi OVAs.
Quote:
I think I like this Toh EnJoe character; I hope that he keeps writing for anime.

This is just a hunch, but seeing how the novels of his deceased friend are getting adapted into anime,i think that he will write the scripts for those adaptations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24