• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Kill la Kill Original Soundtrack CD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
And 30 dollars for a soundtrack? Holy cra....oh right...It's Aniplex, the company that is for pure profit and not one ounce about spreading the love of Japanese culture to more people .

I don't see a problem with it. It's clearly labeled as an import on Right Stuf, and that's about what Japanese CDs retail for to begin with.

(Note that I import Japanese CDs-- mostly game soundtracks-- regularly, so I've long gotten over the sticker shock. I totally understand why someone not used to those sorts of prices would balk at them.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
True, though it IS their fault that their print runs suck (probably to further justify their prices) when Funi, Sentai, Viz etc. can keep their shows in print.

They (AoA) are not a real company, they are basically just a subsidiary. Five people work at AoA, and their job is usually just to stick badges and some English subs on to pre-existing Japanese releases. Okay, it is a bit more involved than that, especially with the odd dub, but that's the gist of it.

AoA doesn't exist to flood the North American market with lots of anime, they exist to make a tidy profit for the parent company. They do this by selling pre-existing products to those uber-fans who are willing and able to shellack lots of money for Japanese-quality releases. Targeting a niche-but-loyal audience that has lots of disposable cash is a low-risk good-return business model.

Again, Aniplex is a business. It does not exist to provide fans with anime, it exists to make the largest profit margin it can for the least amount of risk. This is capitalism working perfectly well and as intended. A business wants to make money and has a product to sell, consumers want the product and have some money to spend. There's no shame in said business targeting those consumers who are willing to spend more than other consumers and adjusting prices - and profits - to match.

DangerMouse wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous their Garden of Sinners BD release is out of print already when the Japanese version is still available (without subs) and anyone who either found out about it late or didn't have the money at the time is screwed and has to settle for the DVD version. Meanwhile had it been released by any of the other R1's it'd still be available on both formats.

So? This may matter to you, but it doesn't matter to Aniplex. They already made a good profit, and are likely pleased with how their release fared. All you are doing is bellyaching.

You seem to think that people should have the right to buy anime no matter what. But such a right does not exist and is patently ridiculous.

normajean19 wrote:
While they don't have a legal or moral duty to spread otakudom, with how much they charge for everything, its only American otaku that purchase what they sell.

Well, I live in New Zealand and I imported from RightStuf the limited edition (Blu-Ray+DVD+Soundtrack combo) of PMMM at vast expense. Had I waited a couple more months I could have bought the show for a far cheaper price from Madman, but I thought the prices for the LE were more than fair. Plus I wanted to show my appreciation to the Japanese directly.

Look, although we aren't really privy to AoA's internal workings (there was an ANNCast I think but that didn't explain everything), it does seem fairly clear that AoA's business model is resulting in a nice tidy profit for the parent company. Fans are more than willing to pay the prices that AoA sets as seen by the sell-outs of various releases.

Can you really say that what they are doing is somehow foolish? No. Not at this stage. History may judge AoA to be a misguided company, especially if the economy were to suffer another massive downturn and no-one could afford to pay big bucks to own some Japanese cartoons that are on Crunchyroll anyway. But at the moment, AoA appears to be doing well and they are hardly going to break a workable business model.

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
That is true however since they are legally sold out of the ost everywhere now, it's time to fire up that torrent tracker. There is no other way to obtain this ost period so screw the rules~

You know what? AoA has already made their money so they don't really mind if fans torrent the soundtrack. Not worth the effort to care when you're already laughing all the way to the bank.

You know what else? I'll be one of those people torrenting the soundtrack. (If you see a New Zealand flag on the list of peers, that's probably gonna be me.) As I said before, I like the music in Kill la Kill, and since I couldn't get the soundtrack I have no choice but to either torrent or to download the songs from YouTube. I would have paid the US$30 but if AoA don't want my money then hey, no skin off my back.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42 I would have been happy to pay the 30 dollars as well, i own over 40 ost as it is. Still i'm right there with you there is no other choice at this point unless they did a digital release on iTunes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
That is true however since they are legally sold out of the ost everywhere now, it's time to fire up that torrent tracker. There is no other way to obtain this ost period so screw the rules~

Just because Aniplex USA ran out of the copies they had does not mean you can't still get a legal copy.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
The music in Kill la Kill has been pretty good, I can see why this soundtrack would be popular.

jet_ wrote:
It doesn't say if it's the limited edition or not, so I decided to wait.
And now it's sold out.
F*ck you, Aniplex.

It's not Aniplex's fault for their products being popular, nor is it their fault for your hesitation. I mean, what does it matter if the soundtrack was going to be a limited edition or not? A soundtrack is just a soundtrack, simple as that.

Protip: If you've got the cash and the desire to buy an Aniplex product, do not delay your purchase. There's no telling if they'll re-release it.

True, though it IS their fault that their print runs suck (probably to further justify their prices) when Funi, Sentai, Viz etc. can keep their shows in print.

It's kind of ridiculous their Garden of Sinners BD release is out of print already (it's not even an old title) when the Japanese version is still available (without subs, regular edition BD) and anyone who either found out about it late or didn't have the money at release time is screwed and has to settle for the DVD version since not even a regular edition BD is available. Meanwhile had it been released by any of the other R1's it'd still be available on both formats.

The Rakkyo standard BD box does have English subtitles. edit: just checked to see if it was still available and it is just over ¥31000 on Amazon JP so get it while it lasts. I wouldn't count on the NA Aniplex to release anything soon...they have already made their money on the title.

Wow guess this will give them some good feedback on NA consumers and Kill la Kill. Special BD release maybe??

Last edited by luffypirate on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
The music in Kill la Kill has been pretty good, I can see why this soundtrack would be popular.

jet_ wrote:
And now it's sold out.
F*ck you, Aniplex.

It's not Aniplex's fault for their products being popular, nor is it their fault for your hesitation. I mean, what does it matter if the soundtrack was going to be a limited edition or not? A soundtrack is just a soundtrack, simple as that.

Protip: If you've got the cash and the desire to buy an Aniplex product, do not delay your purchase. There's no telling if they'll re-release it.

It's kind of ridiculous their Garden of Sinners BD release is out of print already (it's not even an old title) when the Japanese version is still available (without subs, regular edition BD) and anyone who either found out about it late or didn't have the money at release time is screwed and has to settle for the DVD version since not even a regular edition BD is available. Meanwhile had it been released by any of the other R1's it'd still be available on both formats.

The Rakkyo standard BD box does have English subtitles.

Wow guess this will give them some good feedback on NA consumers and Kill la Kill. Special BD release maybe??

Does it? Cool if so, then atleast it's in print for those who want it at the company's price, which would be nice since it's still a pretty new title. The CDJapan page did not list English subtitles.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=ANSX-3921
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
So, this basically means that AoA is going to be getting Kill la Kill when it is released? How utterly disappointing. I was definitely planning on getting this, but not for the horrific pricing they're sure to demand. What a bummer.

I'm a *sad* panda.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Hearing people whine about AoA prices is a million more times insufferable than the prices themselves.
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, this basically means that AoA is going to be getting Kill la Kill when it is released?

They announced they had the license before it even aired.
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, a thread about Aniplex of America-related news that has devolved into complaining about their prices. What a surprise! Rolling Eyes

Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Yeah they provide money for the industry but have accelerated the speed at which it becomes about pandering to the lowest common denominator for easy profit. I have extremely mixed feelings about what the role of Aniplex has done for the medium of anime.

Yeah, time to take off the tinfoil hat buddy. Believe it or not, the Anime industry (or Aniplex) doesn't operate the way that it does in order to spite/ and or sabotage you and your "goals" for the medium of Anime. Rolling Eyes
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:38 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
So, this basically means that AoA is going to be getting Kill la Kill when it is released?

They announced they had the license before it even aired.

Apparently I had successfully avoiding noticing the article in that link, though it wouldn't have had the same impact then as it does now that I've seen 12 episodes of the series. Ah, well. I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with watching it on Crunchyroll.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
You know a lot is start to make sense about why this soundtrack sounds like generic club music shit compared to most of Sawano's stuff. I had a feeling Aniplex was at least partially to blame for why this soundtrack turned out so poorly.

Huh? How does that make any sense?

I believe my operating theory is something like Aniplex probably leaned on him to make something more appealing to the average slob who thinks anything loud, blaring and "epic" automatically constitutes a quality soundtrack.

Again this is coming from someone who historically has liked Hiroyuki Sawano and is dismayed by what appears to be his new sound showing a regression. I liked Gundam Unicorns soundtrack so much I bought it, but I have absolutely zero interest in this dreck.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thought that Gundam was Hiroyuki's best work. Back in the good old days when he could be subtle and interesting with his music and it wasn't just him blasting his bombastic orchestra, having good singers sing terrible lyrics and having predictable build up in his "epic" songs.

I kind of feel like he's become the Hans Zimmer of Anime. He is certainly a capable enough composer to be able to use different styles but he seems to always go with the LOUD and IN YOUR FACE approach these days. That's not so much a problem with Kill la Kill considering everything in the show is over the top but it makes me wonder if he'll step outside his comfort zone at some point and show us that he's capable of.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
boredandlazy wrote:
jet_ wrote:
And now it's sold out.
F*ck you, Aniplex.

Why the angst? If you're not sure pre-order, then cancel if it's not what you want. It's your own damn fault for missing out.
Just want to point out it hasn't even been a whole damn day since the CD went up for pre-order on Rightstuf. You can't really get on someone for not pre-ordering (Especially when they wanted to figure out what edition it is) when it hasn't even been a damn day yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
It's kind of ridiculous their Garden of Sinners BD release is out of print already when the Japanese version is still available (without subs) and anyone who either found out about it late or didn't have the money at the time is screwed and has to settle for the DVD version. Meanwhile had it been released by any of the other R1's it'd still be available on both formats.

So? This may matter to you, but it doesn't matter to Aniplex. They already made a good profit, and are likely pleased with how their release fared. All you are doing is bellyaching.

You seem to think that people should have the right to buy anime no matter what. But such a right does not exist and is patently ridiculous.

Well that escalated quickly...

Huh? O_o What? No matter what? Where did I say anything of the sort in this? I didn't even say they should price it differently (I implied the person couldn't buy it day-1). Where did I say anything like "no matter what".

So much hyperbole.

I wish I knew that it was called bellyaching saying a big title should be available for a decent amount of time at full price especially when there's more demand at whatever price the company wants to set. LOL.

Must be crazy talk.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Well that escalated quickly...

Things usually do in Aniplex threads, because of people who are only too happy to repeatedly auto-derail these threads into debates about Aniplex's pricing model. This thread is about a soundtrack, not thread #152 about whether or not Aniplex is an unfair company who never gives fans what they want (even though their releases sell out in mere hours).

We shouldn't even be having this discussion in the first place, but thanks to jet_ this thread was D.O.A..

DangerMouse wrote:
I wish I knew that it was called bellyaching saying a big title should be available for a decent amount of time especially when there's more demand at whatever price the company wants to set. LOL.

You've never bought tickets to a highly-anticipated concert or sports game? Popular things sell out, fast. Kill la Kill is one of the biggest shows this year (especially amongst Western fans), and AoA never has big print runs anyway. Why? Because they are loathe to make a loss - they exist to make money, not lose it - so they'll always make fewer copies than what they think the demand is like.

Is that fair? Mate, fairness doesn't even come into the equation. Those fans such as myself, Cecil and everyone else who missed out don't have the right to complain. Because it wasn't our product to begin with. Because we have no right to own that product. If demand is higher than AoA allowed for in their production run then that's only the concern of AoA, their corporate masters and their financiers/bankers. Not me, not you, not anyone else.

We are not their clients or customers or shareholders, we are but mere consumers. AoA owes us nothing.

As for what a decent amount of time is, the answer is "long enough to sell all the copies". Which they did. They're probably pleased with themselves at the moment, and so they should be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3