• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Hung Over

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I'm talking about people who say they can only watch 1-2 show because all the rest are crap.

I guess that's people like me?

Well I sort of have a "strike system" where a certain aspect won't automatically mean I won't watch it, but if those aspects pile up it could heavily influence my decision...

Well...I'm not sexually attracted to women (or animated boys) so that automatically puts a strike against a lot of harem shows or just plain stuff who's main draw will be showing off all the various parts of the female. (Or stuff who's main job seems to make fujoshi's all atwitter)

I'm not really interested in sports so that's kind of a strike against them (pun!).

I've developed less and less of a tolerance toward shrill young male characters, so that's a strike against a lot of shonen. I can't stand filler also so 99% of the time I'll probably just read the manga, where I can follow the story at my own pace and just imagine in my head that the character's voices are a little more masculine.

I don't like stuff that's what I suppose I would call "artificially cute" so that's a strike against a lot of moe stuff.

Of course this doesn't even get into stuff like various writing and story issues which are probably too numerous and yet vague to properly address..

And I tend to wait until a show that looks interesting is finished first and find feedback before I start watching it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
That's 48 new series.

Which is several times as many shows as Japan used to make in a year.

The anime industry in Japan is doing quite fine right now, so Robert must be talking about the North American industry. Except with Crunchyroll being profitable and everyone else but Media Blasters still doing swell (as far as we know), I suppose Robert must be referring to his store and his store alone.

Justin wrote:
I admit, I spent a few years bemoaning the state of things. After the salad years of the DVD boom, and the ensuing market correction away from Western fan-friendly, original, action-oriented anime left me wondering what was going to happen, and whether there was even as future in anime. The lean years seemed to extend into 2011, with the industry reeling along with the rest of Japan from the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami.

Although I was worried about the moe boom I never thought the industry was in dire straits, at least in terms of the quality of the output. I can see why you'd be worried about DVD sales declining with the continued rise and rise in digital fansubs, but thinking that the industry was possibly doomed?

And 2011 was an awesome year for anime; did you not watch PMMM, Chihayafuru or Bunny Drop, among other titles?

Justin wrote:
Most of my fears now seem pretty unfounded.

Thank goodness, finally someone man enough to admit it. Cheers Justin, you made my day.

Justin wrote:
We got Attack on Titan a few seasons back, but the big Gaijin-friendly hits are still few and far between.

Well, they may be few in number but they are not infrequent. Sword Art Online and Girls und Panzer last year, Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill (and arguably Free as well) this year, Space Dandy next season.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Hey, can I do a little shameless self (well, company) promotion?

For the past year or two, Yomiuri TV Enterprise has licensed our drama series to CR almost every season.

Deka Suzuki, Secret Agent Erika, Taburakashi, Town Doctor Jumbo, Random Hero, and currently streaming Hakuba no Oojisama...

So
1. Kenrishouri is not impossible for new drama, with proper preparations.
2. The biggest limiting factor is viewership numbers/money at this point.

So if you want more jdrama, watch more legally available jdrama! That'll convince CR and other sites to put the extra effort needed to secure the licenses. Right now jdrama is a lot of work to license for not much return compared to anime.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742, ok then, disregarding your last lines, since these shows have not aired yet, next season you should be able to watch the following shows:
Tonari No Seki-kun - comedy, not moe, actually funny.
Nobunaga the fool - shounen battle, many lead, no emo
Hamatora - same as above
Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta - adventure series
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha - slice of live with a supernatural spin. does not seem to be heavy on the moe
Houzuki no Reietsu - comedy about second in command of Japanese hell

I'd love to know how many of these I got right. I'm only going on what you said you didn't like.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:47 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This is something else that I never understood. People who say they can only watch one or two shows per season, because the rest are "crap". What possible standards can you have that you only can watch 2 shows out of over 30?

I've stated before there are 3 types of people:

1. Those that don't like anime.

2. Those that like anime.

3. Those that like some shows that happen to be anime.

There are people that are in category 3 (and there is nothing wrong with that), but they think they are in category 2. If someone only finds one or two acceptable shows per season, there is a good chance they are in category 3.

It is akin to the movie fan whose life doesn't feel complete without one or more visits per week to the local theater vs. those that only make the trek when something really spurs their interest.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
@DmonHero Maybe, I don't know. Probably be half a year at least before I even consider watching any of those, and that's not if my backlog (or any of my other non-anime interests) get in the way, hehe.

Probably should've added: Comedy is a strike. Can't remember the last time I've watched anime that's really laugh out loud funny. I really don't think most kinds of Japanese comedy really appeal to me. I mean, I just started watching Parks and Recreation and that kind of comedy is right up my alley.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough, but you should still try Tonari no Seki-kun. It's not actually Japanese comedy, it's more like Fumoffu.
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:55 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the question about comparative quality between Japanese and US releases, I knew your answer would be fascinating, Justin, and I was not disappointed. Not as much for the content directly addressing the merits of the question, but for how polite you'd be about the situation, both good and bad. You're being more kind than you need to! Smile

To be honest, I lament the fact that the circumstances of the US industry mean that your company only works on discs for NISA, rather than other studios also being willing and able to outsource to you. Because frankly, as one of the people who does nerd out over technical quality, and imports as regularly as buying domestic releases, I see your Blu-ray work is really the only work that holds up (when considering work that's done on this continent; Aniplex of America's non-import Blu-ray discs are fine, but those are still being authored and encoded in Japan). That shouldn't be a difficult thing to achieve, but everyone else seems to be on a terrible learning curve with no end in sight. It's disappointing. You're right that Japanese releases don't have a perfect track record, but in terms of easily-avoidable issues, they've got nothing on how things have gone here.

More power to the majority of fans who don't notice or don't care about minor or even major quality deficiencies. And I mean that sincerely, since the point of all of this is to enjoy it. But, fundamentally speaking, there's a severe lack of justification for the minor problems present in even things that Sentai and FUNimation released just this month, highlighted by the fact that there's nothing wrong with the work that you put your name and MediaOCD's name on.

Fess up, Justin. What sorcery do you possess that allows you to be the only one capable of authoring and encoding defect-free, artifact-free, properly-calibrated, reference-quality discs? Are you using witchcraft to absorb skills from Sentai's skeleton crew and FUNimation's legion of production techs?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
This is something else that I never understood. People who say they can only watch one or two shows per season, because the rest are "crap". What possible standards can you have that you only can watch 2 shows out of over 30?

I've stated before there are 3 types of people:

1. Those that don't like anime.

2. Those that like anime.

3. Those that like some shows that happen to be anime.

There are people that are in category 3 (and there is nothing wrong with that), but they think they are in category 2. If someone only finds one or two acceptable shows per season, there is a good chance they are in category 3.

It is akin to the movie fan whose life doesn't feel complete without one or more visits per week to the local theater vs. those that only make the trek when something really spurs their interest.

Seriously, this conversation is really starting to go into "real fan" territory, so let's just stop it with this post. Just because someone only likes 1 or 2 shows per season doesn't make them any less of an anime fan than someone who tries to watch as much as possible. Shut up with this "real fan" bull**** and just let people enjoy what they enjoy, even if it isn't as much "new" stuff as others would "prefer".
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Seriously, this conversation is really starting to go into "real fan" territory, so let's just stop it with this post. Just because someone only likes 1 or 2 shows per season doesn't make them any less of an anime fan than someone who tries to watch as much as possible.

Is that really so wrong though? Whats so terrible about being considered a casual fan? I mean, I'd admit I'm a casual movie and music fan since I only watch big Blockbuster movies and only listen to a few bands, so how is anime any different? How can you be a hardcore fan if you barely experience any of the medium?
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
No, no, this isn't about people like you. You don't have time to watch more then 1-2 shows. Maybe, if you had time, you would watch more. I'm talking about people who say they can only watch 1-2 show because all the rest are crap.

Maybe, just maybe, some people have tastes that don't correspond to what modern otaku audiences like. I'm a huge fan of manga, but the type of series I like -- shoujo, josei, yuri, sports, survival horror and weird crap like Oyasumi Punpun and Voynich Hotel -- rarely get animated and usually flop when they do (Watamote, Flowers of Evil). There are occasional original series or LN adaptations that catch my interest, but most of it bores me to death.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
No, I think he was talking about the "real fan" debate that's been going on on the internet. The one where people are going "You're not a real fan unless you watch X" or "You've only seen X number of shows, so you're not a real fan". There is some true to the original debate (it was about casual VS hardcore fans), it sort of degenerated into "I'm a bigger fan then you are". Which IS possible. An anime fan who only watched Naruto and Bleach is not as big an anime fan as someone who has seen 100+ shows. It's very true, but also very irrelevant.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow its like people didn't actually read what TheAncientOne said, and instead just assumed what he was talking about and then started spouting off!
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Sakura Shinguji wrote:

To be honest, I lament the fact that the circumstances of the US industry mean that your company only works on discs for NISA, rather than other studios also being willing and able to outsource to you.

Viz is starting to use him too. I know at least Accel World was authored by Justin. I hope Viz continues to give him work. ^^

Quote:

More power to the majority of fans who don't notice or don't care about minor or even major quality deficiencies. And I mean that sincerely, since the point of all of this is to enjoy it. But, fundamentally speaking, there's a severe lack of justification for the minor problems present in even things that Sentai and FUNimation released just this month, highlighted by the fact that there's nothing wrong with the work that you put your name and MediaOCD's name on.

A reason why I don't quickly buy newer Funimation and Sentai releases anymore. I'd rather read feedback from others before making a purchase. Funimation gets a huge strike against me since they're stuff is always (almost always?) brighter than their JP counterparts. I don't know why they mess around with the black levels (I think this is the correct term). With Sentai - their QC with their discs is so up and down.

I know I'm in the minority and Funi's stuff is decent overall (a little less so with Sentai). So, like you, I have no problems with fans not noticing or caring about quality deficiencies since most of the time you need a copy or screenshots of the JP BDs to really notice.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Seriously, this conversation is really starting to go into "real fan" territory, so let's just stop it with this post. Just because someone only likes 1 or 2 shows per season doesn't make them any less of an anime fan than someone who tries to watch as much as possible. Shut up with this "real fan" bull**** and just let people enjoy what they enjoy, even if it isn't as much "new" stuff as others would "prefer".

The only one bringing in the "real fan" BS is you. It is obvious from the following messages that others got what I meant, while you chose to go into insta-offend mode.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17