• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Hung Over

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I'm not going to go off-topic over this, but I'm fine if you ignore any post if I mention K-whatever, but other people may bring this up because Answerman already mention J-dramas, so other people may bring up K-dramas as example, so it's unavoidable, so it won't be me only.

No, it's usually only you that brings it up.

So what about other people like Poonk, he would usually bring that up too from time to time. I said other people, what if they brought that up, are you going to criticize them too like you did to me.
Hey dude, I can get myself in trouble just fine! Laughing

Seriously though, mdo7, have you ever considered jumping into the forums at like My Drama List, for example? (I'm here). I think you'd find the discussion there much more rewarding since the site is dedicated to the Asian (J/K/C/T/HK) live action (as opposed to ANN where it's only mentioned tangentially as it relates [usually] to live-action manga adapations and famous actors as seiyuu). As a matter of fact, MDL even skews in favor of Korean dramas over Japanese due to their greater accessibility to newer fans.

P.S. I'm a woman, which I thought was obvious by my fangirling over KimuTaku (sorry, I know that's very heteronormative of me).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
@Poonk: I'll look into Mydramalist when I have a chance, but thanks anyway.

Also, I did some browsing on ANN's past articles and I found this interesting interview from former chairman of Viz Media, Seiji Horibuchi back in 2007. It looks like the former Viz Media chairman wanted to bring J-dramas to the US. I'll quote this relevent from the article:

Quote:
VIZ Pictures is the first division of the company pursuing live-action entertainment - any chance you'll consider releasing live-action Japanese dramas here in the US?

Actually that's been my long time dream... I check out Japanese TV dramas every week--not only dramas but all kinds of variety shows as well, just because they're so much fun! Unfortunately, releasing Japanese TV dramas in a packaged product like a DVD is pretty difficult due to rights issues, which is the case in Japan too. It could even be said it's a cultural issue... So nobody has done much with them here besides broadcasting some shows on TV...that's much easier. But our mission is to do something nobody else has done, so I'm willing to challenge that. We still don't know if it will be through the Internet or another medium, but keep your fingers crossed for us.

So looks like before K-dramas took over the world (and US), our former CEO of Viz Media wanted to give J-dramas an audiences in the US, but it never happen and guess what, K-dramas replace what Japanese dramas would've gotten in the US (and probably the world) but it was a sad opportunity this never happen, guess Japan and Viz Media back in 2007 didn't foresaw that K-dramas would end up getting popular outside of Asia. I would've love to hear his thought on the Hallyu Wave going global and K-dramas take the world by storm and maybe he can give his thought and input on what Japan can learn from South Korea when it comes to exporting J-dramas (and maybe music) to international audiences and how Japan can replicate it's own Hallyu Wave. I think he'll be sort of happy to know that there are some J-dramas on CR, Dramafever (which is also on Hulu), and Viki but not in huge numbers compared to Korean and Chinese-language dramas. I praise Horibuchi-San ambition and attempts to try bringing J-dramas to the US early on.

EDIT: I found an interesting article from 2003 titled "J-dramas in North America". So it looks like there was ideas of introducing J-dramas to North American audiences prior to K-dramas/Hallyu taking over the world and also predated streaming sites like Dramafever and Hulu. I read it and it looked very promising back then:

Michael Nicolas wrote:
I'd like to think that Japanese dramas in North America would work well. In many ways you already have a dedicated audience in many of the anime fans here, as the anime club example mentions. On top of that, the motivation for a lot of anime fans is an interest in Japanese high culture and pop culture. Companies such as Media Blasters, Tokyopop and CPM already have live action labels. In many ways this would be an extension or opportunity for them. Most of the talked about drama series aren't all that long; on average they would be about 12-13 one hour episodes (with the most popular ones spawning an extra special and maybe even a motion picture), so there wouldn't be too big a commitment in comparison to a long running anime series. In remote ways it would also be another way to start cashing in on the increasing popularity of Asian actors (specifically HK actors) in North America.

Yes I agreed with him, it would've worked today due to streaming sites we have. But now because J-entertainment industry don't play fair, and add that Japan's entertainment industry and the govt wasn't proactive to export these dramas overseas and outside of Asia, and guess what happen as a result of that, Korea got smart and K-dramas took over the world. And now Chinese-language dramas are now riding/cashing in on the drama fad that K-drama caused, and Japan didn't get chance to ride on it. Japan could've ride on this, but I don't know if J-entertainment biz will get the chance to ride on this or want to replicate it's own Hallyu because of Japanese's showbiz being xenophobic and not wanting to play fair (and show no desire to give J-dramas the same global push like Korea did for K-dramas).

Quote:
Of course the argument exists that live action Japanese TV shows would still be a hard sell. Japanese Anime and Manga in their original forms are a hard enough sell here in North America. Hollywood is still the dominant entertainment force in the world (forget just North America), so there is still a domestic industry to consider. In addition, for as much curiosity there would be in American shows and movies in Japan, you cannot say the same for Japanese stuff here in North America, at least to the same degree. In the end, the costs to license these shows, package and market them, and the likely consumer return might make it too much of a risk for any company to consider.

I know this was written in 2003 and this was way before Dramafever, Viki, and Hulu was made and the Hallyu went global, but I can answer this, the K-dramas popularity around the world proved this argument wrong. Dramafever has gotten 3.5 million viewers and 80% of the audiences are non-Asian. Several K-dramas on Hulu made it on the popular list. It's not only K-dramas, but Taiwanese dramas also did very well on DF and other legal streaming sites. Viki has 22 million active users monthly and 10.5 million Mobile/Connected TV Users. So you see, J-dramas could've done very well in the US (and around the world) with or without streaming sites that we have today. Even K-dramas that are based on anime/manga does very well (ie: Boys over flowers), as a matter of fact if it wasn't for K-dramas, then Taiwanese dramas and other Chinese-language dramas wouldn't have found an audiences outside of Asia. K-dramas did many thing no Asian dramas did.

I might be a 7 years anime/manga fans, but South Korea definitely did many firsts that Japan's J-dramas and J-pop wasn't able to do on a global scale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shosakukan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Korea

It seems that you were officially recognized by 2channelers as an annoying broken-record astroturfer working for Korea.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Korea

It seems that you were officially recognized by 2channelers as an annoying broken-record astroturfer working for Korea.

I've told him to knock it off a couple times as well.

Knock it off, mdo7.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
shosakukan wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
Korea

I've told him to knock it off a couple times as well.

Knock it off, mdo7.

Zac, don't worry I'm not mentioning Hallyu to this anymore. But wow, I didn't know they would find out about me on 2Chan. But I'm kinda disturb that they know my real name, how the heck did people on 2chan find out my real name?? If they hack into my account and find out who I am, isn't that illegal and probably a violation of international law?? Anyway, I'm not throwing anymore K-whatever for this thread.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
If they hack into my account and find out who I am, isn't that illegal and probably a violation of international law?? Anyway, I'm not throwing anymore K-whatever for this thread.

If you google your user name, the second result is your YouTube account which shows your real name. Even if that one wasn't, there's probably more to link your user name and real name. You need to be careful about how much information you leave on the internet.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
^Not to mention the profiles you get from that search nets even more names to base a search on, leading to several other linked accounts on various sites, and, well, you get the idea... As consignia said, no hacking necessary. You just need to be more careful in the future.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
If they hack into my account and find out who I am, isn't that illegal and probably a violation of international law?? Anyway, I'm not throwing anymore K-whatever for this thread.

If you google your user name, the second result is your YouTube account which shows your real name. Even if that one wasn't, there's probably more to link your user name and real name. You need to be careful about how much information you leave on the internet.

Blanchimont wrote:
^Not to mention the profiles you get from that search nets even more names to base a search on, leading to several other linked accounts on various sites, and, well, you get the idea... As consignia said, no hacking necessary. You just need to be more careful in the future.

Well not my fault, since Google started to make some changes (including the real name thing) I guess that's how this all happen. But anyway, I think I should be flattered that I'm getting recognized on 2chan in Japan. But if they want to flame/troll me, bring it on. I got question I want them to answer.
consignia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well not my fault, since Google started to make some changes (including the real name thing) I guess that's how this all happen.

It's not just youtube, though. There's at least 2 or 3 sites that I saw which link mdo7, your real name, and anime. Have at look for yourself, and see how much personal information is shared. You might be a little shocked.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Well not my fault, since Google started to make some changes (including the real name thing) I guess that's how this all happen.

It's not just youtube, though. There's at least 2 or 3 sites that I saw which link mdo7, your real name, and anime. Have at look for yourself, and see how much personal information is shared. You might be a little shocked.

I know, I'm not surprised nor shocked. Yeah I have accounts on several other sites where I use mdo7 (and there are sites where I use other name which I'm not going to list). I knew sooner or later people who would search for me would find out I go to other sites. Nothing really personal these day isn't it. But what can I do, I'm not going to close down those account.

I don't make 2chan any big deal, people on 2chan are rabid and crazy and I know 2chan has been under fire for racism and hate speech. That and a incident has been linked to 2chan. I mean doesn't 2chan have any moderators or admins that "clean up" the thread at all??
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
^
It's 2Ch, what do you expect? And there have been a lot more incidents than just one.

FYI, 2Chan (AKA Futaba Channel) and 2Channel (AKA 2ch) are two completely separate sites. That said, they are indeed related, in that the former is an offshoot of the latter. Still separate sites though. I too thought they were one and the same until someone corrected me.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
It's 2Ch, what do you expect? And there have been a lot more incidents than just one.

FYI, 2Chan (AKA Futaba Channel) and 2Channel (AKA 2ch) are two completely separate sites. That said, they are indeed related, in that the former is an offshoot of the latter. Still separate sites though. I too thought they were one and the same until someone corrected me.

Well whatever, both sites have people with no open-mind to diversity. Those 2 are the only sites that don't have moderators and admins to quench and clean up inappropriate behaviors and hate speech/racism. I rather go to ANN then 2Chan and 2ch.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote
^
You don't seem to understand. -Chan sites aren't supposed to be like usual forums. They are anonymous and have only the most basic of rules. That's what makes them so mind-bogglingly popular. They are the armpits of the internet, that much is true. We talking about sites so uncouth that - as someone else mentioned - the word "faggot" is used as a term of endearment.

However, that said, I think you need to grow some thicker skin. Learn to let the insults roll off your back a bit; either just shrug it off or outright ignore them. -Chan sites have so much trash talk that - memes and the odd sensationalist headline aside - such sites are essentially little more than background noise to the rest of the internet. In other words, don't worry about what they say because their opinions are worthless.

Finally, 2Ch is notorious for housing a lot of very right-wing men who are outspokenly racist and xenophobic. And the country they like to hate on the most is Korea (with China being second). So of course they're going to be extremely biased against you; that's just the kind of pricks they are. Since they are so biased in this regard that just shows that their opinions are even more worthless than usual. Just don't pay attention to them and don't care what they think and you'll live a much happier life.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
You don't seem to understand. -Chan sites aren't supposed to be like usual forums. They are anonymous and have only the most basic of rules. That's what makes them so mind-bogglingly popular. They are the armpits of the internet, that much is true. We talking about sites so uncouth that - as someone else mentioned - the word "faggot" is used as a term of endearment.

However, that said, I think you need to grow some thicker skin. Learn to let the insults roll off your back a bit; either just shrug it off or outright ignore them. -Chan sites have so much trash talk that - memes and the odd sensationalist headline aside - such sites are essentially little more than background noise to the rest of the internet. In other words, don't worry about what they say because their opinions are worthless.

Finally, 2Ch is notorious for housing a lot of very right-wing men who are outspokenly racist and xenophobic. And the country they like to hate on the most is Korea (with China being second). So of course they're going to be extremely biased against you; that's just the kind of pricks they are. Since they are so biased in this regard that just shows that their opinions are even more worthless than usual. Just don't pay attention to them and don't care what they think and you'll live a much happier life.

dtm42, I know that, you don't think I would know when I did research on those 2 sites. That's my impression when I read about those 2 sites, no moderators and admins, and I can see why those 2 sites are popular, outlawness (meaning no mod or admin and it's anonymous, no registration required at all) is the major reason for their popularity. Their insult on 2ch and 2Chan doesn't mean anything to me since they're all written in Japanese (which I don't speak nor understand fluently), so I wouldn't understand what they said about me nor what racial slur they would say about me. That's why I said on my previous post that people on 2ch and 2chan are nothing but people that don't believe in diversity. Also I'm not surprised right-wing nutjob would use that site, no registration/create account required and it's anonymous, so a right-wing nutjob can inpersonate as 2 or 4 different users on that site. No moderators and admins make it a lot easier and have more freedom of throwing in hate speech and racist message and yes, I'm not surprised, that's why I prefer ANN over 2chan/2Ch anyday. Japan still has racial issues even to this day. I even read about Japanese-American that studied in Japan face discrimination just because they were born and raised in the US. I read this article about one Japanese American got slammed for bringing up racism in Japan. I even read that Japanese-Brazillians in Japan (even if they can speak Japanese fluently) are treated like foreigners and not on the same level as any Japanese born in Japan. So yeah, Japan has a lot of issue when it comes to racism and xenophobia.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I read the third question that an infamous mdo7 was noted for, even constanlly deraling the whole topic on this forum that ended up him being famous by 2channel for his rant and soapbox. I also recall on how J-Dramas tend to be very low budget in regards to produce their drama quality.

The acting in J-Drama is also really terrible and bad looking one, hence why i prefer K/C/Thai drama over J-Drama because the production they make is somewhat terrible.

But poor for this guy getting shamed by 2channelers for his rant and soapbox on how J-Drama don't have an good reputation that K-Dramas have, he sure know how to learn that ANN is an anime and Japanese stuff, not for all K-Pop, K-Dramas here at all.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17