• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Expert Anime Hackers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Ed ever pretended to lose to anyone at chess. And Ein should probably be on the list in his own right, since hacking is what he was created for, and except for the lack of fingers limiting his opportunities, he's better at it than Ed.

The hacker girl in Strike the Blood is pretty impressive, but since I can't even remember her name, I can see why she's not on the list.

I took awhile deciding on worst series, and finally landed on Diabolik Lovers over Amnesia, which at least kind of had a story other than various ways to torment the main character. I really wanted to go with Flowers of Evil, because I still can't forgive them for the non-ending ending after 11 episodes of making a point to say they'd be done after 12. Well, the animators were, but the story certainly wasn't. But since it wasn't rage-worthy until then, I went with the vamps.

gridsleep wrote:
And, shouldn't that be CERN?

In Steins;Gate it's SERN.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't think Ed ever pretended to lose to anyone at chess. And Ein should probably be on the list in his own right, since hacking is what he was created for, and except for the lack of fingers limiting his opportunities, he's better at it than Ed.

Yeah, I never thought that Ed lost on purpose in the Chessmaster Hex episode. You don't go for days doing almost nothing but playing a game of chess just to pretend to lose at the end, and she was clearly disappointed when she did finally lose. Besides, it's just not in Ed's nature to pretend about something like that.

The episode when Ein hacked into that whacko's computer (The Brain Scratch episode, IIRC) was pretty neat. Ein and Ed were definitely made for one another (Mushroom Samba).
LavenderMintRose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Akira is awesome~~ That's such a bad description of her, though...

But actually, when I looked through other people's recommendations of characters, and someone mentioned that Love Machine is "a hack, not a hacker" I realized that that's a thing... the character sort of being a computer themselves. Having a more ingrained connection to the machines and codes than an ordinary human would. I think that's probably what disqualifies a lot of characters (like Yuki Nagato) for the title of best "hacker". spoiler[And that sort of goes for 2nd season Akira as well, considering what her mecha can do with that Magical-Girl type wand.] So awesome though. Valvrave 2nd season was just amazing.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
dm wrote:

Ruri Hoshino from Martian Successor Nadesico (and again in Prince of Darkness), and what about Maya Ibuki, Ritsuko Akagi, and Ritsuko's mother from Evangelion --- or does it not count as hacking if you are designing and operating the system in the first place?

None of them are hackers for the very reasons you mentioned them. Hacker is not synonymous for computer programmer/operator, even though hackers can do those things as well.

Well, Ruri still counts --- she hacked into spoiler[the Martian Successors' computers at the end of Prince of Darkness] and I think some of what she did to Omoikane in the original series probably counts as well (at least in the original sense of the word "hacker").
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
laughing man and no motoko, she's almost as good a ahcker as him plus she does most of her hacking while doing other stuff like runing and shooting.

that was i was wondering about. the major is the better hacker than the laughing man. though if there was anyone from that series that should be on the list , its the puppet master.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I was going to vote Flowers of Evil as worst, but then decided that it really wasn't an anime that I'd normally be following, so it stands to reason that I didn't like it. Instead it made more sense to pick a show that I should have enjoyed, but still hated, and so Little Busters Refrain gets the nod for me. Riki is the worst Key protagonist I've ever seen, and frankly I just want to see him fail. So, this show gets the tag of the worst because I expect much better out of a Key property.
You may have a point about Riki but really? Refrain as the WORST of the YEAR? Hell..I'd say it was one of the best. Unlike Season 1, it was actually pretty spot on with the visual novel and they did and overall fanastic job with it....except for the part where spoiler[Rin and Riki run away...that should've been maybe half an episode on it's own instead of just an ending credit thing]. Karnival was pretty boring...was that this year? Amensia sucked...That wrestling anime I watched 10 mins of and almost went insane. Far too many outright BAD anime this year. Definitely not Refrain though
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
Sekatsuyo got way better after the first 'arc' ended.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:19 am Reply with quote
I don't remember Sailor Mercury ever actually hacking anything...

My hackers I'd put would be Nagi from Weiẞ Kreuz (as much as it saddens me to admit he's better than Omi), and Falcon from Bloody Monday (although it's manga/live action, no anime adaptation).
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

My hackers I'd put would be Nagi from Weiẞ Kreuz (as much as it saddens me to admit he's better than Omi), and Falcon from Bloody Monday (although it's manga/live action, no anime adaptation).

Neither did I. Sure she's my fav scout other than Makoto , but the most she did was analysis, not any type of hacking that i know of. then again, i never saw S,Super S or the Stars series considering pioneer massacred the first two and the third never got released in the US so i wouldnt know.

However there was no surprised Lain got number 1 on this list even though the ending made absolutely no sense at all and still to this day give me a freaking headache trying to understand it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Mercury's computer was an artifact item from the first season that pretty much doesn't come into fruition through the anime series run.

Maybe it will be "fixed" in the revival.
StormVanguard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
So where's panties from eden of the east?
I think he's more note worthy then sailor mercury... :lol:
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:
No Love Machine from Summer Wars? Bummer, at least Ed is on there.

Well, spoiler[Love Machine is really a hack, not a hacker.]
However Wabisuke spoiler[who created Love Machine is. ] Wink

Regardless, nobody can hack like Major Motoko Kusenagi can, along with the Tachkoma. Wink
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote
To be fair, I decided to vote for an anime I actually gave 3+ episodes. Otherwise, Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai might have gotten my vote, thad I not dropped it after around 30 seconds. I was tempted to give it to Choujigen Game Neptune which I somewhat regret watching through to the end, and also to Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, which managed to get me to dislike every single character excepting the main character. But, in the end, I decided to vote for Samurai Flamenco. It started off well in the first six episodes and got me thinking it could be a pretty good series, until it underwent not one, but TWO complete genre shifts which felt more out of place than an orang-utan in an orchestra. Playing bagpipes while juggling chainsaws. On stilts. Et cetera, et cetera. I really wanted to like it, and I did to start with, though because of that, and hence the sheer level of disappointment I felt by the end of episode 11 (when I dropped it), I'm labelling it my worst anime of the year.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
I voted for the Persona 3 movie for best film, because I went to see it in theaters on opening day and loved it...
But seriously... How many of that 4.5 percent ACTUALLY SAW IT? Makes no sense.

I know this isn't ANIME, but a game... But Sara Matsunaga from Ever17 pops into my head whenever I think of genius hackers.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:59 am Reply with quote
Danganronpa was the worst of the year for me. I had to sit through it in my anime club. Terrible characters, terrible plot, completely predictable and repetitive episodes, no pay-off, no viewing satisfaction whatsoever. I would even go so far as to say Danganronpa is among the worst anime of all time.

Last edited by trilaan on Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7