• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Goverment Funds New Foreign Channel to Air Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

Oh yeah, the Japanese government is being incompetent in making a TV channel. I think that the best policy for them to promote the country's culture more would be simply to reduce taxes and restrictions on their cultural industries and to open the country more for foreigners, as Japan still is very closed if compared to most western countries.

Well this I agreed, that and they have to use effective marketing and I wish Japan would make use of internet streaming to get more of their programs out. For the restriction, yeah that's one problem for programs from Japan, too many ridiculous restrictions when it comes to exporting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for this to come over here and around seven people get it, like Funimation's channel and the Anime Network.

I wonder if they'll have the Japanese commercials. I kind of dig the millions of energy drinks with lemon and unappetizing convenient store meal deal spots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CHUI372

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The government is also considering launching the channel in the United States, Europe, and Africa.

Even Africa gets considered before Latin America.. Sad
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
No India as usual. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Well, there are hardly any anime fans here so it's to be expected but still...

I almost never watch TV now. If they really did make this channel for India, I would watch it every day.
ninja88880

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Hehe so they seemed to have learned something from outbreak company, taking over by spreading their culture. Hope distributing to us also means Canada. I'd love to watch anime on the TV with proper frame interpolation.
s0beit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
If they want people to enjoy anime and manga more, they should stop trying to censor it.

The reason why people read Japanese stories is because it's different in the first place.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect anything to come of this outside of the countries already announced (and maybe Africa)...

These government programs exist primarily to funnel money from taxpayers to large Japanese corporations like Dentsu, and maybe some of it goes to TV stations and content licensors...
Heck, some of it goes to localization and dubbing, too, but if I know the markets involved those dubs will probably be for children's programs or things like dubbing "An-pan man" into Thai and other local languages.

I wouldn't expect this particular money to have any appreciable affect on late-night anime at all. And no way it turns into a channel in any market that's already a significant money-maker like Europe/US.
The whole point of these is to get Japanese media out there in emerging markets, not already established extremely competitive media markets.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I wouldn't expect anything to come of this outside of the countries already announced (and maybe Africa)...
[...]
The whole point of these is to get Japanese media out there in emerging markets, not already established extremely competitive media markets.

Yes, I'm glad that somebody else sees this. If you read between the lines, this is clearly aimed at selling Japanese media in other parts of South East Asia.

Besides, a dedicated anime channel is the last thing anime needs in the west. At best it would be a slightly more streamlined version of the channels that already exist like the Anime Network and Funi's thing. Which already make pretty much no meaningful impact because nobody but a handful of existing anime fans watch them. If they're actually interested in selling anime in the west it will be by pushing the creation of shows that are popular in the west and by getting said shows on existing channels that actually are watched by non-fans. Although really, TV broadcast is an increasingly antiquated concept for all but the most mainstream media to begin with. It is being usurped by streaming video.
romianime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
clixbrigidxterx wrote:
Japan. You're doing it right. If only they find a way to broadcast SUBBED anime to Canada. Crying or Very sad

yes please Confused
Bugnin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:
I am hesitant to support a company with a checkered past

Apparently TV Tokyo had fewer scruples than you do. Also I'd assume that the production committees would simply refuse to license their product to CR if they objected that strongly to its past history. By their behavior, I've concluded they don't care and have moved along.

I've subscribed to CR for perhaps three years now and will continue to do so until they have nothing for me to watch. I'm happy with finding a couple of shows to follow each season for my $7/month.

I really don't care about what position they (and you) have taken on the subject. However, I am sticking with mine and don't feel bad about it (nor do I feel that I need to explain/defend it).

...and congratulations on your moral stance. Typical excuse to continue downloading/streaming anime for free.

Expect Cool Japan to get the same warm reception until they start charging fees, and then I suspect some high moral ground will be invented as an excuse to not pay them a dime, either.

Ironically, you're more "criminal" now than CR....

Last edited by Bugnin on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Himeko90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
...and congratulations on your moral stance. Typical excuse to continue downloading/streaming anime for free.

Expect Cool Japan to get the same warm reception until they start charging fees, and then I suspect some high moral ground will be used as an excuse to not pay them a dime, either.

Ironically, you're more "criminal" now than CR....

And congratulations to you for making assumptions about something that hasn't even been implemented yet and labeling someone who spends hundreds of dollars on Anime a year, a "leech who isn't contributing to the industry". You must be so proud of yourself. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, get bent.
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if the Japanese government literally KNOWS what bits of Japan are considered Cool in the west--
Especially when they have their own social stigma against thinking that anyone sexually healthy over the age of 10 watches anime shows.

Every time I go to a big-city hotel, they have that "Japanese cultural channel" on the in-hotel cable--And it always turns out to be that dull untranslated channel that shows travelogues, calligraphy, J-soaps, and news almost literally every other program, as representative of "International culture and education".
(I keep tuning in to see whether they might show ONE token kids' show early on Saturday or Sunday, but not even that.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
I'm just wondering if the Japanese government literally KNOWS what bits of Japan are considered Cool in the west--
Especially when they have their own social stigma against thinking that anyone sexually healthy over the age of 10 watches anime shows.

Every time I go to a big-city hotel, they have that "Japanese cultural channel" on the in-hotel cable--And it always turns out to be that dull untranslated channel that shows travelogues, calligraphy, J-soaps, and news almost literally every other program, as representative of "International culture and education".
(I keep tuning in to see whether they might show ONE token kids' show early on Saturday or Sunday, but not even that.)

Well I'm not too confident also. They are going the right direction, but the question are they doing it correctly? I do agreed that "Cool Japan" is very misleading and too much flaw. Now I'm wondering what came out of the govt established internationalization committee we had back in April that Danny Choo was part of.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ninja88880 wrote:
Hehe so they seemed to have learned something from outbreak company, taking over by spreading their culture.

Ohh, if ONLY they saw Outbreak Company as much of a metaphor for anime/manga's acceptance in the 90's US as much as we do... Very Happy

I remember way back in Grandpa's college-club days--when subbed VHS was the gold that was where you find it, and you'd trade your left arm for a home-copy--one of the better sources was some of the local Hawaiian stations that showed popular import Japanese programming, translated and untranslated, to cater to some of the local immigrant/visitor audience. I remember having a few late-80's subbed Lupin III specials with local Hawaiian commercials on it.
That seemed more like what the network should be, but have a feeling we'll get the hotel channel with more of a "hip" spin. If we can just get their C-word off of "Culture" and back onto "Cool" again.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Why is Thailand getting it before America? Do they even know how hard it will be to edit some Japanese programming for that censor-happy country?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4