• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Year-end Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fierywind12

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Unless there's something I've overlooked, there's no 5Ds specific TCG...every TV series has related merchandise, but all are just part of the overall TCG. (source: semi-competitive yu-gi-oh player)
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
I guess I should've brought it up in the survey, but I don't think there was really a question for it.

What about being able to view shows by year, as opposed to only in alphabetical order, on an actor's page? Not worth the hassle? It'd be useful for anyone wanting to see if their favorite actor did something this year.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
What ever happened to the reviews of movies while they were in the theater in Japan? I remember either the K-on film or the Haruhi film being reviewed this way, but I don't remember this happening since and I liked that ANN was branching out to be more proactive in its reviewing.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'm glad someone added the Nozomi channel on YouTube as another legal way to watch anime on there. I've watched loads of series there, including all of Victorian Romance Emma, Utena, Maria-sama ga Miteru and Antique Bakery. Best of all, they're available to me in the UK.

As for the other stuff, personally I'd like to see more manga related content in general. Neo magazine here in the UK has a column each month about a manga magazine, usually really obscure ones, which is really interesting. It'd be great if ANN could do similar.

I voted for the cosplay column to come back. A column that gave sewing tips etc would be really cool.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:50 am Reply with quote
"Of the above, which is your preferred way to watch anime?"

I wish there was an option for "HD Streaming". The two streaming options were paid and unpaid. I already pay for CR but the reason I tend to watch there is because they stream in HD and are quick, not because they cost me money. Monogatari aired on Daisuki (free hd) and I watched there because it came out quicker, not because it was free. If it was free and SD I would have just waited for CR, again not because CR is paid but because of image quality.

I wish there was a feedback text box. Oh well. The ANNCast with industry interviews are far and away my favorite thing here. I didn't vote for that because without industry people it's just Zac and Justin snarking it up and I have a low tolerance for that. I voted for Hey, Answerman, although I'm starting to fall out of love with that because Justin took over it and it seems to be getting snarkier and snarkier by the week, although this week's was surprisingly non-hateful/bitter/snarky.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
By "MCM" under companies do you perhaps mean "MVM"?

Embarassed
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
That survey was missing a lot of "None" options. I come here just for the news, not for any of the columns you guys do.

You can simply not select an item on that question then. It will be registered as a "none of the above" vote. I guess we need to add "non of the above" as an explicit option though, so that people don't think they need to pick one of the existing options.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
That survey was missing a lot of "None" options. I come here just for the news, not for any of the columns you guys do.

I concur. Although I do read some of the collumns here, there were some questions that simply didn't apply to me because they weren't avenues of the site I regularly visit or participate in. Like for the Anime News Nina kickstarter. Why was "no," not an answer? I might have passed by the column once several years ago, but I never really followed it, yet the survey options assume you're either new and never read it or you're not new so you've definitely read it and want to support it.

For improvements I'd like to see that weren't mentioned in the survey, I definitely would appreciate an overhaul to the preview guide. I know someone had mentioned before how user unfriendly it is for people who are more interested in seeing reactions by anime and not reviewer, and Zac had responded that he didn't want to put in the effort of recoding the page to that effect or some such, but with all the effort that was put into rolling out the new layout, I don't see why the same attention couldn't go into redesigning the preview guide. Imo, it's simply too daunting to continuously hit the back button and scroll through 6 different people's list of reactions if I'm just trying to read the reactions for one anime I was interested in watching. I simply don't even read the guides anymore because how annoying the effort is. Just my $.02.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
To add clarification to my votes for cosplay-related articles/columns:

I do not want to see things about cosplayers (especially not ala "Heroes of Cosplay") or about showing off costumes. I want to see things on cosplay/costuming itself, such as tutorials on how to make different things, or "behind the scenes" style things on how a particular costume was made (kinda like this. Yes, it's from Heroes of Cosplay, but that was something I actually liked, that Jinyo did on his own).

Also, Tokusatsu. But I think everyone already knows that.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought that it was a good survey and I had only two minor issues with it.

For "Which of the following do you like (or want) to collect?" is "collect" what you really wanted there?
I selected light novels and doujinshi because I buy and read both of those. But with only a few exceptions, such as the "Haruhi" novels, I will sell them after I have read them.
So I do not really collect them.

For what I would like to see more coverage of I selected "New Light Novels & Visual Novel releases" but I am not really sure about the meaning of it.
Is it Japanese releases, domestic releases, or both. I would like to see more coverage of domestic releases of light novels, though there are not many of them, but I do nor really care about what is being released in Japan unless a US release is at least a good possibility for it.
And aren't light novels and visual novels two entirely different things?

Other than that, and those are relatively minor, it was a good survey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
biolizard_alpha wrote:

You can simply not select an item on that question then. It will be registered as a "none of the above" vote. I guess we need to add "non of the above" as an explicit option though, so that people don't think they need to pick one of the existing options.

I do agree by adding a none option because most of these online forms always return an error if you leave things blank I think many of us assume that's case. I was leaving some options blank and kept expecting the error message when I hit the submit button but glad that didn't happen. Good survey but really there is such thing as legal YouTube streaming now and it's actually pretty decent quality for free. Rolling Eyes
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Imo, it's simply too daunting to continuously hit the back button and scroll through 6 different people's list of reactions if I'm just trying to read the reactions for one anime I was interested in watching. I simply don't even read the guides anymore because how annoying the effort is. Just my $.02.

I 100% agree with this.

I'm glad that I read this Talkback thread (please don't change this to something in-article, ala Disqus) before I took the survey as I would have assumed that I needed to answer every question. Also, without a "none of the above" option, it isn't possible to unselect a choice-to pick nothing after having picked something-for a question.

I second the call for more "searchability" on the encyclopedia. The encyclopedia is, IMO, the best feature of this site.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
To add clarification to my votes for cosplay-related articles/columns:

I do not want to see things about cosplayers (especially not ala "Heroes of Cosplay") or about showing off costumes. I want to see things on cosplay/costuming itself, such as tutorials on how to make different things, or "behind the scenes" style things on how a particular costume was made (kinda like this. Yes, it's from Heroes of Cosplay, but that was something I actually liked, that Jinyo did on his own).

Also, Tokusatsu. But I think everyone already knows that.

Agree. I'd like some tips on how to make/adapt things, not just pictures of cosplayers.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I guess I should've brought it up in the survey, but I don't think there was really a question for it.

What about being able to view shows by year, as opposed to only in alphabetical order, on an actor's page? Not worth the hassle? It'd be useful for anyone wanting to see if their favorite actor did something this year.

Seconded. I'm glad you brought up the encyclopedia. It is pretty much my favorite thing here, but I somehow forgot to bring up a few things I had in mind.

I think it would be cool if we had a way to find people by a specific title. For instance, if I really liked a show that most people didn't, I might want to see who else rated it as high as me, since they more likely have similar tastes as me. Same goes for shows I really don't like. I feel like this would be a little complicated, but if it is possible it would be really helpful and a lot more specific than the "like-minded" search option.

I've also noticed that the "theme" label gets pretty cluttered for a lot of titles. I know it kind of comes with the territory since users can pretty much add whatever info they want, but it would be helpful to have a little more standardization and less clutter. An example of this would be titles that have both ecchi/fanservice as tags, or medieval/middle ages, bloodshed/gore, etc.
Cleaning up the genres and themes lists and standardizing them a little is something that I would definitely be willing to help with as well.
lys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
Hooray, a survey!! I always feel a little odd putting in 3 (or so) for my average yearly anime purchases, and 300 (or so) for manga. But... that's how it goes with me.
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

If I'm understanding you right, that's already possible. Under the "Encyclopedia" menu, going down to Tools > Personal Settings, I set my preferences for displaying staff/actor names (FAMILY, Given name) and listing their work chronologically.
st_owly wrote:
As for the other stuff, personally I'd like to see more manga related content in general. Neo magazine here in the UK has a column each month about a manga magazine, usually really obscure ones, which is really interesting. It'd be great if ANN could do similar.

I'd love anything along these lines too!! Manga is my main interest (clearly), and I totally geek out about bits of info like "what magazine was this in? what other series run alongside it? how did the magazine get its start/how has it changed over the years?" We do get some stuff like that from House of 1000 Manga, and I always appreciate it :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4